LegacyGT.com

Legacy Specific ACT Clutch. I WIN!!

sleepin gt

I ordered the ACT Clutch/Streelite flywheel combo from Ian@HarmonMotive last week, expecting to have a local shop install it next week. I will share the results with everyone once it's finished. Couple of questions: having never run a lightweight flywheel before, what exactly is "chatter"? I get that it sounds like a vibration, rattle, or ratcheting noise... but when does it happen? What's the cause? Does it affect the useful lifespan of either the clutch or the flywheel itself?

Ian, where can I or the shop doing my install get that Legacy-specific Torx we're going to need? From the dealership? My Snap-On guy? Suggestions?

</CR>

---

Bone Stock (Not For Long!) 2005 Legacy GT, 91500 Miles

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also wondering...what if you use a lightweight (18ish pounds) flywheel from a 2.5 RS? Or will that require a totally different set up?

Guess we can live with the 06 flywheel (how much do those weigh again?)

23.8 lbs

well just got my car back with the new act clutch combo installed, slight increase in pedal effort, no chatter or vibration(thank god). i took the pre caution to wash the pressure plate and flywheel before i took it in for the install. grabs nicely, and the engine revs alot easier, overall no complaints, havent driven it hard because i want to break it in properly, will report back if i have any problems, but so far so good!

does having a lightweight pulley (like Perrins) affect the feel of this combo?

I just have the "midweight" 06 OEM rex flywheel and it did affect the feel of it, not too much though.

If you are getting a lightweight flywheel I would hold off on the pulley until after the flywheel install, then decide from there.

I've read threads that say that the light weight pulley and flywheel are too light for our car, and have a negative effect.

On another note, I think I noticed a hint of slippage today in 5th, and might need to order my mew clutch soon. Would a few of the people who have some mileage on their '06+ ACT setup give a quick review & current mileage?

Thanks!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I just have the "midweight" 06 OEM rex flywheel and it did affect the feel of it, not too much though.

If you are getting a lightweight flywheel I would hold off on the pulley until after the flywheel install, then decide from there.

problem is i've had the Perrin pulley on for a few months already :(

problem is i've had the Perrin pulley on for a few months already :(

No biggie.

Either get the 06 rex fly and be happy with a pretty good set-up that will be 100% user friendly or get the LW ACT fly and see how it goes.

You can always take the Perrin pulley off and sell it for minimal labor and loss.

No biggie.

Either get the 06 rex fly and be happy with a pretty good set-up that will be 100% user friendly or get the LW ACT fly and see how it goes.

You can always take the Perrin pulley off and sell it for minimal labor and loss.

hmmm, dont exactly have funds to find out if it turns into a shitty daily driver. might just get the 06 wrx fly

thanks

The car is in the shop, and the new ACT Clutch and flywheel are installed. There was a small problem with the DBA 4000 front rotors... they didn't fit! Rears went on fine, but it looked like they shipped the wrong front rotors. Problem was that all the part numbers matched, from catalog to box to the part # stamped on the edge of the rotor! Turns out that DBA drill a bunch of 2005-2006 Legacy GT models (part #42650) with THE WRONG WHEEL PATTERN. BEWARE. They drilled and shipped them with a 5x114.3 pattern instead of the 5x100 we need. The outfit I ordered from wouldn't ship them overnight even though the car is sitting up on the lift, waiting... I'll post a separate thread on this one. Nothing like good, truthful publicity on the Internet to encourage better behavior from vendors.

Okay, back to the clutch. Per Ian @ Harmon Motive, my guy at the shop doing the install called me and told me he washed the flywheel and pressure plate with soapy water before installing them. Thanks for the heads-up on the Legacy-specific Torx, Ian. They were able to catch the Snap-On guy making another stop about a mile from the shop this morning (he wasn't due back til Friday.)

Can't wait to try the new clutch, but have to wait a few days for the proper front rotors to arrive. Wouldn't want to ruin a good set of Hawk HPS pads on those stock front rotors I grooved out.

Hmm. My Tactrix cable ought to be in by then, too... :cool:

OK, quick question. Is the flywheel for this setup the same or different from the one that was sold with the RPS/ACT setup?

Bump for opinions after some mileage!!!!!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

OK, quick question. Is the flywheel for this setup the same or different from the one that was sold with the RPS/ACT setup?

Bump for opinions after some mileage!!!!!

I have about 6k on the ACT setup and I couldn't be happier. I also have a lightweight pulley/ lightweight flywheel setup with no issues, except that the revs climb faster:wub:

The flywheel on the RPS/ACT combo was a 2.5RS flywheel, this setup is using a 06WRX flywheel.

Washing the flywheel is for removing grease and what not so your clutch won't slip... you should always wash them (I use brake cleaner).

I don't know about washing the pressure plate though, never heard of that...

Archived