LegacyGT.com

California smog legal mods?

sactojesse

AEM says their intake is CARB approved as well. That's probably what I'll get when money starts coming my way. I failed on my old car with an aftermarket cone filter without a CARB sticker. Fortunately I found a local guy with the same car that would lend me his stock airbox for the test. Then I failed again for not putting enough miles on after resetting the ECU.

When the times comes for me to start replacing exhaust pieces (already using Crucial UP) I want to go with the least flashy pipes. I hate that so many of the available downpipes are polished. It's under the car, the only time it might be seen is for inspection, at which time I do not want it to stand out. If I do end up getting a polished DP for design reasons I'll get it coated, although that won't look stock either, just less noticeable.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sactojesse,

Yes They were right. Here is the proof in the pudding.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29723&d=1167533703

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29724&d=1167533703

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29725&d=1167533703

sactojesse,

Yes They were right. Here is the proof in the pudding.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29723&d=1167533703

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29724&d=1167533703

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29725&d=1167533703

Nice! :wub:

Actually, just register it in a non smog county. Most of the foothill counties(Amador, Calaveras, Alpine, etc.) do not have a smog check at all. I haven't smogged a vehicle in California(except for title transfers) in years.

Right on!!! is that an invite??? Whats your address?:lol: :lol:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Right on!!! is that an invite??? Whats your address?:lol: :lol:

PO Box FTMFW

Only your insurance company cares about garaging address.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The PO Box is a car clubs' best friend.

I'm not sure if you need to smog to change your registration address, as I actually do live in one of the good counties. But an example of how this would work is:

You live in Santa Clara(smog county), but own a cabin in Calaveras(non smog county). My parents did this for years before retiring to the non smog county. In this example, there was nothing shady going on. My dad was a property owner in both, and chose the better property to use for smog registration.

Doesn't Grandma, or Uncle Ralph, or Cousin Jose, or the Greater Hemet Illegally Modded Car Club have property in a non smog county?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The PO Box is a car clubs' best friend.

I'm not sure if you need to smog to change your registration address, as I actually do live in one of the good counties. But an example of how this would work is:

You live in Santa Clara(smog county), but own a cabin in Calaveras(non smog county). My parents did this for years before retiring to the non smog county. In this example, there was nothing shady going on. My dad was a property owner in both, and chose the better property to use for smog registration.

Doesn't Grandma, or Uncle Ralph, or Cousin Jose, or the Greater Hemet Illegally Modded Car Club have property in a non smog county?

DOnt know but I am going to check

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

So are you concerned with what is actually legal, or what you can get away with?

You could have a 400+hp setup and still get away with passing a smog check if you do it right...

I'm interested in passing both visual inspection, OBD II, and emissions tests without having to remove and replace a bunch of stuff every two years. CARB stickers are key for any visually apparent change.

• 4 months later...
Sniffer is almost never the problem, the visual inspection is. Some smog guys could care less. I've told one guy that a K&N cone that I stuck on the air flow meter was stock and he believed me :lol: Another guy failed me for having the wrong kind of rubber hose on an evap line. He refailed me after I fixed that for having a tiny little crack in a breather hose :rolleyes:. The car passed the sniffer easily. Really, if you don't go nuts with the mods, going to something like Stage 2 is not big deal. Just save your stock parts and swap them come back come smog time, which won't be for 3 years or so anyways.

If you are concerned about a cop pulling you over and popping the hood, then you only parts with CARB numbers or any part AFTER the cats (ie: axleback or catback) are legal. There are odd exemptions like intercoolers but for the most part you can't touch anything under the hood without a CARB number. Technically a reflash is illegal and detectable electronically as well, but with something like a Cobb AP it is easy to revert to stock when needed.

Thank God I did the gutted DP because they checked it, However, yes the TDC Stage 2 map STI UP and Gutted DP passed without any problems. I also have the Typhoon and saw many threads ago that it was not smog legal. It is CARB approved in all 50 states. They checked that too! You need your CARB sticker though. I read my test it showed that I was below average for my car on all the test???? I'm missing 2 cat's people and managed to get better scores than average. I drove the car very hard and got it extremely hot before getting there. That may have helped such low scores.

Well, I just had some work done on at GST Motorsports with the Cobb catless uppipe and catted downpipe. They, and Maita Subaru (Sacramento), told me the downpipe will need to be swapped with stock before smog. Maita said it would cost about $200 to swap the downpipe before and after smog.

Anyone hear of issues with the uppipe with visual inspection in CA??

Oh, If you get the Uppipe, no need for a BOV. My turbo whistles like Andy Griffith when I shift! :spin:

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Well I just got cited by an asshat CHP officer, I need to see a ref for my modified BOV. Can anyone confirm that I will safely pass the idle emissions test with a gutted DP but with the OEM catted MP in place. I much rather swap out just mid pipes if I can.

A guy posted earlier that he passed with just the mid pipe. When did you get a aftermarket BOV? And what kind?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I just wanted to make sure I read that right. I've been had the BOV, it's a Greddy Type S recirculated and all. He pulled me over for speeding 75 in 65 yet didn't use his radar. Then proceeded to check everything else on the car, made me pop my hood and had a hard time even locating the BOV. On top of that through in a window tint ticket.

Archived