LegacyGT.com

Driving across the country: What would you do?

Howdy. So as the title states I'm driving across the country, more specifically from CA to PA. Just want to gauge what you all would to to prep the car for this task.

I am already getting a fresh oil change & will most likely replace the air filter.

I am going to have the trunk and back seat completely filled with items and will have one passenger joining me. Any recommendations for tire pressure?

Thanks for the input.

got a deflector for the front? may want to consider putting something on the front to protect it; expecially since you are going on a long road trip. autozone sells this temporary bra that you spray on. not sure if it's worth it or not, but at the very least maybe some painters tape:icon_wink
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

got a deflector for the front? may want to consider putting something on the front to protect it; expecially since you are going on a long road trip. autozone sells this temporary bra that you spray on. not sure if it's worth it or not, but at the very least maybe some painters tape:icon_wink

good idea. I'll have to see what I can find.

Anyone have thoughts on tire PSI?

i drove it twice, from VA to Washinhgton state and back......

oil change and brake inspection is a good start, other than that, you gotta check out the grand canyon if you've never been......that and lettin' the good times roll baby.........:icon_wink

not sure on tire pressure. why not keep it where it should be?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You'll be going through many temperature changes as well as altitude changes, both of which will affect tire pressure. I'd start out in CA by leaving it at 35/33 or maybe 36/34 and check the tires while cold each AM before setting out on the day's driving.

What route are you taking? How long are you planning to take to get to PA? Lots to see and do on the way.

You'll be going through many temperature changes as well as altitude changes, both of which will affect tire pressure. I'd start out in CA by leaving it at 35/33 or maybe 36/34 and check the tires while cold each AM before setting out on the day's driving.

What route are you taking? How long are you planning to take to get to PA? Lots to see and do on the way.

I'm taking 40 to 81. I'll be taking 5 days total which should be about 8 hours of driving a day. Thanks for the PSI recommendations.

not a whole lot of time. :( i know we drove from London, Ontario to Anchorage, AK and it took 7 days total, but we spent 2 days in Calgary/Edmonton. So ya, you can do it, but we also drove 12-16 hrs/day.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

On my wrx I did a few long distant drives. One from Oklahoma to Arizona and the latest one from OK to FL and back last summer. I always Blue painter's taped all leading edges of my car. I figured a 5 dollar roll of painters tape is better then having to repint the front end from rock chips and debris.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/antny04wrx/P1010513.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations. I like the painters tape. Any further recomendations for PSI when the car is completely loaded??

I've got the iPod hooked up so I'm all set on music. Beef jerkey and Mountain Dew sound tasty so I'll add them to the list.

I'd probably leave them at 35/33 when starting out in CA (and your location says San Jose, which is very close to sea level). You'll be at 7000 ft on I - 40 through parts of AZ, and above 5000 ft most of the way through AZ and NM, which will raise your tire pressure. I'd definitely check it each AM before starting out.

As far as stuff to do, I'd definitely recommend the Grand Canyon, it's an hour north of I-40 at Williams. That will take some time though, it takes a while to get through the entrance at the Grand Canyon, I'd allow half a day at least (you state you're taking 5 days for travel, so the Grand Canyon might not be doable). Also, check out meteor crater in AZ as well as Petrified Forest natioal park. Those are both very close to I-40 and you could spend a couple hours or so at each of those.

Archived