LegacyGT.com

Guru's- clunking in rear suspension / brake area when braking only???

Gire

Hi Team, (searched a lot in this forum for help already but here goes...)

I have developed a clunking issue in the rear of the wagon when I brake. This has been happening for a week now, and the rear clunks when the car is cold, and after I have been driving around for a while...

Now, I have iON's installed on stock struts and a JDM RSB, all have been installed for over 3 months and the clunk has just come about...

The concern is that the clunk is not when I am working the car side-to-side (ie: patented sway bar / endlink issue), but rather when I start to apply the brakes and load the car's weight to the front. The clunk comes out of the rear left side usually and often both rear sides.

This is under normal braking and even soft braking at slower speeds.

Never a sound out of the front suspension, I have stock FSB up there.

Is it the rear brakes? Why would they start clunking? The car only has 30K km on it...

The sounds are definitely coming out of the wheel well area so it could be either the springs, struts, sway bar, or brakes...

Please let me know what you think... the clunk is happening every day now, every time I get in and drive around.

UPDATE- Took the car in for an oil change and had them look at / listen to the clunking.

They told me that they re-surfaced the rear PADS and the clunk went away. Covered under warranty. Thank you Docksteader Subaru!! Looks like it came about after they serviced all my brakes at the 24K service mark. Good to see they fixed their error without issue.

Good suggestion.

I'm going to take all the crap out of the car today (including baby toys under the seats and all the stuff I have in the rear under-tray.)

But the clunk is definitely mechanical coming out of the rear wheel well areas...

I'll probably get someone to drive the wagon around as I sit in the back seat and listen...

The clunk comes sometimes just as I start to apply the brakes and begin to slow the car down (not even hard braking either...) so it's a little baffling to me.

I did get a brake 'exam' as part of my 24K service at Subaru. about 1.5 months ago...

Wheel alignment, tire rotation, lube and service front and rear calipers.

Not too sure...

Anybody else want to chime in here? I'd hate to have to take this original post and start PM'ing some of the suspension guru's to try and get some feedback...:(

• 1 month later...

UPDATE- Took the car in for an oil change and had them look at / listen to the clunking.

They told me that they re-surfaced the rear rotors and the clunk went away. Covered under warranty. Thank you Docksteader Subaru!!

EDIT- I'm on crack. I had a look at the work order again and they re-surfaced the brake pads. Not the rotors.

Obviously they were not installed correctly (or picked up some crud) when the brakes were serviced at the 24K scheduled service mark.

Archived