LegacyGT.com

Spec.B Bilstein compatible springs?

ERLoft

How much is involved in swapping springs? I hate the dip and dive experienced during starting and stopping.

I suppose it is best done by your local shop? I also suppose an alignment is required to finish out the job. What about ballpark labor costs?

Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much is involved in swapping springs? I hate the dip and dive experienced during starting and stopping.

I suppose it is best done by your local shop? I also suppose an alignment is required to finish out the job. What about ballpark labor costs?

Thanks.

Generally around $200 for spring install, plus an alignment($65-85).

• 1 month later...

Updates for your PDF.

Pinks list "15mm", I think most would agree it's closer to 25mm

Ion Sport Spec

FR. 1" 4.0kg/mm (228lbs./in.)

2" 5.2kg/mm (297lbs./in.)

R. 6.7kg/mm (382lbs./in.)

Drop fr. 30mm, r. 25mm

Swift ("sport spings")

Drop is 30mm front 25mm rear. (per swift chart attached)

You also list STI Pinks for the Spec B with the drop of 15mm (1 1/4")...and 15mm (1?") 1"=25.4mm.

Swift-SportsSprings.pdf

• 1 month later...
Which springs will drop the car the LEAST?

I'm still leaning toward the ions for the progressive rate.

Not too many progressives out there. Swift an Ion will drop nearly the same. Pinks will be a tad higher in the front.

Got pinks from RCE and overall, I'm pleased with them, but the irregularities (read: slightly depressed manhole, layer of pavement missing) in the road gives a harder hit to the car. (I've been going under 40mph when coming upon these)

Since owning the car (Oct 06) till last week, I hit the "helpers" in the back twice.

I think I've hit bumpstops in the front 3 times since Saturday after installing the Pinks.

Granted we don't have the best roads up here in NH, I didn't think it'd be that different between stock and Pinks.

But I think Pinks have the least drop, IIRC. Correction?

Does this just mean more defensive driving against the Highway Dept's Finest Work?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Got pinks from RCE and overall, I'm pleased with them, but the irregularities (read: slightly depressed manhole, layer of pavement missing) in the road gives a harder hit to the car. (I've been going under 40mph when coming upon these)

Since owning the car (Oct 06) till last week, I hit the "helpers" in the back twice.

I think I've hit bumpstops in the front 3 times since Saturday after installing the Pinks.

Granted we don't have the best roads up here in NH, I didn't think it'd be that different between stock and Pinks.

But I think Pinks have the least drop, IIRC. Correction?

Does this just mean more defensive driving against the Highway Dept's Finest Work?

What struts do you have these on? The Bilstein top hats will give you more ride height with Pinks than the USDM GT top hats but you're correct that Pinks have the least drop.

I'm in MA and have JDM GT Pinks with JDM GT Bilsteins. I have to take it easy on any pavement seams that go across the whole road because they tend to have a sharp dip. Other than that, I think the ride is fine and easily soft enough to not make my wife or 2yo complain.

Overall, I'd actually say the ride with the JDM GT stuff is better than it was stock and the wallow is gone. I was really getting sick of the stock struts.

What struts do you have these on? The Bilstein top hats will give you more ride height with Pinks than the USDM GT top hats but you're correct that Pinks have the least drop.

It is not the top hat: FAQ

What struts do you have these on?

Got them on stock USDM 07 Spec B Bilsteins.

No, don't get me wrong, ride is great except for the roadwork I spoke of.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...
why is this such a confusing topic lol...im sort of on the same boat...i have swifts on my stock struts, but in a box in my house are jdm spec b bilsteins with pinks...do i make the switcharoo and put the swifts on the bilsteins or leave the spec b combo and put it on

why is this such a confusing topic lol...im sort of on the same boat...i have swifts on my stock struts, but in a box in my house are jdm spec b bilsteins with pinks...do i make the switcharoo and put the swifts on the bilsteins or leave the spec b combo and put it on

do which ever is easiest. if you don't like it...switch it. the ride will be very similar. swift will give a bit more drop in the front.

Here in Australia with the GT specB tuned by STi which use the STi pink springs we're finding they do not lower the car any more than the standard specB spring.

I'd like to drop my car (std specB) no more than 15mm and am investigating Tein springs (High Tech) to see what they do. It is my understanding that some Tein and STi pinks are the same except for colour. Anybody confirm?

Got them on stock USDM 07 Spec B Bilsteins.

No, don't get me wrong, ride is great except for the roadwork I spoke of.

Your riding on USDM Spec B/JDM GT REV C Bilsteins. These have the softest dampening of the Bilsteins, so that may explain you hitting the bump stops. Maybe a firmer spring like Swifts would help...6.6Kg/mm vs. 5.9kg/mm. Or best bet would be to pick up some JDM GT REV A or some JDM SPEC B Bilsteins. But again...these may stop your bottoming out, but the ride will firm up, so you may not like that part...dunno.

Your riding on USDM Spec B/JDM GT REV C Bilsteins. These have the softest dampening of the Bilsteins' date=' so that may explain you hitting the bump stops. Maybe a firmer spring like Swifts would help...6.6Kg/mm vs. 5.9kg/mm. Or best bet would be to pick up some JDM GT REV A or some JDM SPEC B Bilsteins. But again...these may stop your bottoming out, but the ride will firm up, so you may not like that part...dunno.[/quote']

I'd be willing to put up with some firming up in lieu of lessing bump stop hitting.

Thanks Hans!

I'd be willing to put up with some firming up in lieu of lessing bump stop hitting.

Thanks Hans!

BTW.....I bet you could unload your current ones for the same cost if not more than the cost of some gently used JDM GT REV A's. Heck you will improve your ride and make some $$$. :)

You've seen this right?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61108

Thanks Saul, looking at that as an option.

Han's, looking at the thread you posted a link to, and according to unclemat's pics of tophats, I think that the 07 Spec B got the JDM bearings, maybe not the entire top hat, but the massive bearing looked awfully familiar!

My other option is keeping my "known" struts and getting Swifts. i am real iffy when sourcing used "moving parts" that can't get reasonably rebuilt by myself prior to install.

My other option is keeping my "known" struts and getting Swifts. i am real iffy when sourcing used "moving parts" that can't get reasonably rebuilt by myself prior to install.

Don't know if theirs a fitment for Swifts and the 07 spec b yet. (your car is heavier then the 05-06 GT)

The STi's are your best bet for staying off the bumpstops. The others are stiffer, but also lower to start with. I'm on Rev A, and pinks. No problems hitting the bumpstops.

Warren

Rev A = better/stiffer dampening. He's got Rev C....less/softer dampening.

BTW....Myles at Racecomp hits his bumpstops on his '06 Spec B (Rev C) and pinks. (although many have no issues)

Archived