LegacyGT.com

Spec.B Bilstein compatible springs?

ERLoft

Ok, I'm now looking @ springs, rather than coilovers, as we'll see how the ride is with them first. From what I understand, the Bilstein's use different springs than the stock LGT struts. Can this be confirmed?

I spoke with Rennick Subaru, who says they have Spec.B specific STi springs from Japan. The spring rates seem to be the same as the LGT listed struts, but apparently the setup for the top mounts is different. Is this correct? If that's the case, what other springs work with the Bilsteins?

TIA!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you have Bilsteins. In fact you have JDM GT Rev.C Bilsteins.

ALL JDM, which means nearly all aftermarket, springs will work. Pinks are your best bet.

And, ahem, you can also search "Pinks" in classifieds section...

Hmm, it does appear to be between the STi springs and the Swifts. I haven't hear from ION yet, but I've compiled this list for spring specs...

I'm riding in a STi pinks equipped car Monday, then I'll make a decision...

Legacy Springs.pdf

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update with ION Spec.B specific springs.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/ERLoft/LegacySpringRates.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey unclemat, what do you think of the JDM GT springs with bilsteins? I am trying to keep my ride height the same as stock usdm, with a stiffer spring. I want to add the bilstein dampers later, and wonder about the ride height and comparative handling of the bilstein HD/JDM GT spring combo.

TY

Hey unclemat, what do you think of the JDM GT springs with bilsteins? I am trying to keep my ride height the same as stock usdm, with a stiffer spring. I want to add the bilstein dampers later, and wonder about the ride height and comparative handling of the bilstein HD/JDM GT spring combo.

TY

Bilsteins, especially JDM GT Rev.A-B, or any JDM SpecB are fantastic with Pinks.

Don't know about HDs, there is lots of confusion about them. Reviews are favorable, however it's still not clear how much less travel they have compared to GTs. But with stock length JDM GT springs this should not be an issue.

You can add RS-R Ti2000 springs to your list.

Hmm, I looked at the RSR site and they've got higher spring rates front than rear. The original S-Tech's for the 02 WRX were like that and they just made the car push like a pig even more...

I couldn't find any listing for Legacy on the site either, so no adding them for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, I looked at the RSR site and they've got higher spring rates front than rear. The original S-Tech's for the 02 WRX were like that and they just made the car push like a pig even more...

I couldn't find any listing for Legacy on the site either, so no adding them for now.

You got wrong info. Link:

http://www.fastwrx.com/rstisp20le.html

Is there any reason to get the GT specific pink over the Spec B specific ones for a 07 Spec B? I know the struts are the same as JDM GT Rev C bilsteins, but then 07 also has the 6MT and heavier rear diff, which is exactly what the Spec B specific pinks will compensate for (same spring rate, just longer). Seems like all the reading I've done here, people usually recommend the GT specific ones (For a 06 maybe? No 6MT or Torsen), and I'm trying to understand why.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since my question is kind of related, thought I'd ask here so we can share the info.

Is there any reason to get the GT specific pink over the Spec B specific ones for a 07 Spec B? I know the struts are the same as JDM GT Rev C bilsteins, but then 07 also has the 6MT and heavier rear diff, which is exactly what the Spec B specific pinks will compensate for (same spring rate, just longer). Seems like all the reading I've done here, people usually recommend the GT specific ones (For a 06 maybe? No 6MT or Torsen), and I'm trying to understand why.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since my question is kind of related, thought I'd ask here so we can share the info.

It's a tough call really and I think the recommendations are slightly born out of a lack of information (which has recently been corrected). The GT Pinks and Spec B Pinks have the same spring rate. However, the Spec B Pinks are a little longer to make up for the added weight of the transmission and some other stuff the Spec B has.

I got GT Pinks to go with my GT Bilsteins and '05 GT Wagon. If I had a Spec B, I think I'd get the Spec B Pinks. Either spring will probably work well on either car.

You got wrong info. Link:

http://www.fastwrx.com/rstisp20le.html

Indeed, I just found that on the Mach V site too! Thanks...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, if the pink springs drop is really 15mm, then by using LGT pink springs on a Spec.B, you might get just a tiny bit lower of a ride height...

But the ride height of the Swifts looks quite nice. I know there's Swift spring reviews here, so I guess I'll have to read up on them....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im running Swifts, they have a more even drop than the pinks, have very similar spring rates and $100 cheaper than the Pinks and certainly not inferior springs just because they're not Sti brand

And your take on the ride? How is it compared to stock, and compared to STi pinks if you've ridden in a car with them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ride is definitely stiffer on rougher roads with better handling, but not overly such. i can't comment on the ride quality in Sti pinks since i have no personal experience but other ppl attest they are similar.

stiffness and comfort is all subjective and it depends on what youre used to, and what you can tolerate. i'm used to driving in cars with far stiffer suspension than my swifts so i dont mind the ride quality and most of my passengers dont mind at all and they're not car ppl.

i have no idea what your prior experience is with suspension mods, what i call stiff you may call ridiculously soft or vice versa.

As pdw wrote, it's bit of a mystery. USDM SpecB has JDM GT Bilsteins. But then the speculation is that Pinks have same rates but different lengths to compensate for differences in weights.

Anyway I'd recommend JDM GT Pinks for USDM SpecB. Spring/damper will be matched well that way and if you get some extra drop in front that's not a big deal. Even better for a more even stance.

I'd say GT AT Pinks are ideal for 2007 USDM SpecB.... and can be had for less than Swifts ;)

ERloft - I too have an 07 SpecB. I installed pinks and couldn't be happier. That is not to say that Swifts are not nice, because many, many people have had a great experience with them.

I suggest you take a look at the pics I posted in this thread and read my brief review of the pinks:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52820&page=2

You may also want to look at Edkwon's pix in the pictures thread, he has a beautiful example of a tastefully modded car.

I believe that my pinks are GT AT pinks, like Unclemat has for sale. If so, they are a great fit for your car and offer a tremendous improvement in handling. The price is smoking too. :)

Yep. Too good. I bought his. :lol: Damn, I suck at resisting temptation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pair up your spring install with some upgraded front and rear sway bars as well. i have cuscos, but any of the major brands are pretty good, the two mods complement each other nicely in improving handling in the turns and bends.

Ed

Pair up your spring install with some upgraded front and rear sway bars as well. i have cuscos, but any of the major brands are pretty good, the two mods complement each other nicely in improving handling in the turns and bends.

Ed

I have the AVO suspension pack from RalliTek coming. FSB/RSB, endlinks, RSB mount reinforcements, caster bushings, FSB bushings. A couple of bits are on backorder, so I won't see it until the middle of the week of the 5th in all likelyhood.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived