LegacyGT.com

My Portable Media HDD on my stock Navi!!

iMouseGT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI: I just noticed that when I have the drive plugged into the cig lighter I get horrible radio reception. Not sure if it's how I ran the cables or not, but I have to unplug the power when I want my radio stations that aren't super local to me.

same thing happened with my cell charger. had to use the power outlet in the console itself.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I just picked up the pieces for this... to the tune of $220.

Mediagate, IR Receiver, Car Charger, 100GB HD

Not bad at all. I look forward to getting this install done and taking some good pics. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any idea what's the biggest capacity MG-25P can handle.?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a lengthy bump, but I just got around to installing mine today. Installed the under seat OEM sub at the same time. Ran in to trouble at first because I couldn't get an image on the NAV screen, so I thought I had it improperly grounded. But after bringing the unit back inside, I realized after hooking it up to my TV, that I had it still on HD output (just the lowest setting which I thought was SD output). So just some quick fiddling in the set-up menu, and things are good. :)

Anyone know if it's possible for this to "shuffle" songs? Or does it just go right down the line? I haven't had a chance to mess with it much. I need to sit down and read the manual a bit.

Anyone know if it's possible for this to "shuffle" songs? Or does it just go right down the line? I haven't had a chance to mess with it much. I need to sit down and read the manual a bit.

Well, while reading the manual, I see that it is possible to have things shuffle, but you have to make a playlist first. Yet when I hook it up to my computer, there's no "playlist" folder or anything. And there's nothing in the manual telling me how to do it either. :confused:

Anyone got any tips?

Wow, well after playing with this for some time during the game (keeping the game on PIP :lol: ), I'm saddened to find that each time you power down the unit, your playlist goes away. :mad: I have over 2000 mp3's, and there is NO way I'm going to make a playlist every time I get in the car, it's just too time consuming. If there was a way to "select all" for your playlist, I would, but there isn't. And that sucks shit. I went to Vantec's website to see if there were any firmware upgrades (hoping they had fixed this), but they don't even have anywhere to DL firmware anymore. I emailed them, so we'll see where that gets me. Frustrating.

Well, while reading the manual, I see that it is possible to have things shuffle, but you have to make a playlist first. Yet when I hook it up to my computer, there's no "playlist" folder or anything. And there's nothing in the manual telling me how to do it either. :confused:

Anyone got any tips?

Dude,

u got to put all the mp3 inside a \music folder on the 1st partition of the HDD. just press the play button after power on and it should run thru the list.

Dude,

u got to put all the mp3 inside a music folder on the 1st partition of the HDD. just press the play button after power on and it should run thru the list.

I don't believe that would "shuffle/random play" the songs though, it would just go straight through the list, which I don't want.

Also, anyone know where I can get an IR extender for this? The one OP links to no longer works, and all the companies I've found selling on Google say they don't carry it any more.

Ok, I've upgraded the firmware to 1.5.0 (thanks fatbastard). And now I'm on the mission to make my own IR extender because apparently you can't buy them anywhere anymore. Looking through the thread at the link to the TL website that iMouse linked in his first post, I noticed that someone over on AVSforum made his own IR extender.

The site he ordered his IR diode from Farnell seems to be overseas (pricing was in British Pounds), so I found a similar one (I think, not sure of all the specs) at Radio Shack. I'll also pick up a 3.5mm audio cable from monoprice and see what I can hack together. I plan on mounting it IN the vent to the left of the NAV screen, so looks aren't much of a concern. The diode is tiny anyway, so IF I have to mount it in plain sight, it should be pretty subtle.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Ok, I've upgraded the firmware to 1.5.0 (thanks fatbastard). And now I'm on the mission to make my own IR extender because apparently you can't buy them anywhere anymore. Looking through the thread at the link to the TL website that iMouse linked in his first post, I noticed that someone over on AVSforum made his own IR extender.

The site he ordered his IR diode from Farnell seems to be overseas (pricing was in British Pounds), so I found a similar one (I think, not sure of all the specs) at Radio Shack. I'll also pick up a 3.5mm audio cable from monoprice and see what I can hack together. I plan on mounting it IN the vent to the left of the NAV screen, so looks aren't much of a concern. The diode is tiny anyway, so IF I have to mount it in plain sight, it should be pretty subtle.

I'll keep you guys updated.

AVOX or Mediagate MG-25P has already gone EOL. those IR extenders are pretty universal.

That left us with Sarotech mediaplayers.

AVOX or Mediagate MG-25P has already gone EOL. those IR extenders are pretty universal.

That left us with Sarotech mediaplayers.

I'll still try and make my own, as I can get out much cheaper ($6) than I could buying one pre-made (after shipping most of the ones that are no longer in stock have been ~$30).

Ok. Ran out to Radio Shack today and picked up a few (2) of the IR diodes (part # 276-640 from radio shack). They're TINY. It comes with a small metal 'bracket' which if removed shouldn't affect the diode operating. I did a quick and ugly soldering job on it (just to test first). I used a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector I had at work (replacement coming from monoprice), and hacked off the end to get at the wires. Below are the pics of the soldering. I'll have to test a little later on when my boss leaves his office. :lol:

In pic #3, you can see the 'housing' that surrounds the IR receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/3-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking to sell my MG-25 for $120 shipped.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2321997#post2321997

SOLD. BTW I never used the IR receiver. I just used the remote to control the MG-25

I bought this setup from rallysquirrel and got it installed this evening. Not much to see. I installed mine under the passenger seat. I ran a separate auxiliary power port to under the seat so as not to lose the one in my console box. I installed the IR sensor above the rearview mirror so there wouldn't be any visible wires and it would be hard to see. Also you can hold the remote comfortably without having to aim it, and it works equally well from each seat in the car. Other than the IR sensor, there is no visiable sign that this is installed. The only problem I've run into, is it doesn't output video once the e-brake is off. I had previously done the "nav while in motion" mod and thought that would take care of it. I'm going to have to go out and ground that other wire on the screen harness and try again.

Edit: Work while in motion now.

• 2 months later...

For playlists while using this, I ended up just making a folder of songs to represent each playlist. It can lead to duplicate songs on the unit, but seemed to be the easiest way.

As for the IR receiver, the one pictured above should be fine with the right connector wired onto it. I have a couple IR receivers here, but only the one that came with the unit works.

In the attached pic, see the connector differences. The top works with the mediagate, the bottom does not. The bottom is the more widely available type the comes with various mediacenter hardwares.

IMG00273.thumb.jpg.f201d462dc56305ac32264f5f57ef02f.jpg

In the attached pic, see the connector differences. The top works with the mediagate, the bottom does not. The bottom is the more widely available type the comes with various mediacenter hardwares.

From my understanding, the differences between the connectors you posted are just mono/stereo (single line/dual line). I was instructed in the link I posted some time ago to use a audio/video cable which had 3 "rings" around the shaft. One for positive, one for signal, and one for ground (if memory serves me correctly). IF I messed up somewhere, I'm thinking it was with the IR receiver itself as it may not be the specs that the UK IR receiver was where I found the instructions.

Archived