LegacyGT.com

Is a 5MT LGT capable of 30 mpg hwy?

Here's an update:

2005 (stock) Non-limited 5MT turbo wagon. Had the 30k service before this road trip.

Two weeks, Montana to Albuquerque New Mexico, backtrack to Scottsdale AZ, then to Oklahoma City, back to Albuquerque, back to Montana.

4500 miles, fully loaded wagon (couldn't even see through the rear view mirror), typically 70 mph and running ac.

30.6 mpg for the trip.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:whore: on '06 Spec Bs teh efficientors!!! HAHAH!!!

Seriously, take a look at the screenshots here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45185

Whoever's posting these nasty "Can't be Dones" hasn't driven a Spec B :lol::lol:

I did it 3 or 4 times (over 30mpg) stock, babying it yes, but not excessively. I was trying to maximize mileage as a test, yes. However, there was little cruise control and was driving between 60 and 80 mph. This is on the LIE BTW headed out to Port Jeff, Hamptons, and Montauk. They are not freaks as evidenced by many of us being able to get the job done consistently.

My 2 cents....

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

05 lgt 5mt avg 24.6 have gotten 32 mpg doing back roads 45-50mph 5th gear. 30 mpg 70mph under

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that vehement post. :D

I've gotten close enough to 30 (though never actually made it), according to the trip computer, that I don't have any problems believing that it is possible to see 30+ for some amount of time.

I'm not sure how accurate that is in reality, but if we're all using the same skewed measurement, we should all be off by about the same amount.

Normal traffic? 20-21 mpg, in average driving. Since it started hitting hte 30's down here, I'm down to 18 or 19. Whether thats my foot, or the temperature I couldn't tell you. heh :)

--james

Disagree if you like, I really really don't think it's possible.

I have one of the 3 highest Miles per Tank records on the board ... I went 456 miles between fillups and drove about 350 of those miles at 60 mph steady. I also coasted every hill, and drove another 50-60 miles at a steady 45-50 mph. The LGT really gets the best mileage at 50ish mph. But since the question was at "Highway speeds" ... then no. You cannot get 30 mpg at highway speeds unless you consider 60 mph reasonable highway speeds (here, the speed limit is 70 mph) and you get a narrower 205mm wide tire that wears well, but is low on traction.

If that's the case, you shouldn't be buying the GT.

having previously owned a durango and currently a 06 charger r/t (yeah its got a hemi) im happy getting 24mpg. of course at 75 and cruise control the charger get 25mpg but step on the gas and watch it drop. i LOVE my legacy gt gas mileage

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Disagree if you like, I really really don't think it's possible.

I have one of the 3 highest Miles per Tank records on the board ... I went 456 miles between fillups and drove about 350 of those miles at 60 mph steady. I also coasted every hill, and drove another 50-60 miles at a steady 45-50 mph. The LGT really gets the best mileage at 50ish mph. But since the question was at "Highway speeds" ... then no. You cannot get 30 mpg at highway speeds unless you consider 60 mph reasonable highway speeds (here, the speed limit is 70 mph) and you get a narrower 205mm wide tire that wears well, but is low on traction.

If that's the case, you shouldn't be buying the GT.

Impossible for you is not impossible for others. Sorry dude.

I can set my CC at 70 (ehem.. highway speed) and maintain 30mpg pretty often. If you doubt it, that's your prerogative.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Impossible for you is not impossible for others. Sorry dude.

I can set my CC at 70 (ehem.. highway speed) and maintain 30mpg pretty often. If you doubt it, that's your prerogative.

Show me someone who has done better.

I know of only ONE other member who has achieved more miles on a full tank of gas. I'm talking sustainable MPG, not occasional 50 mile trips with favorable conditions. If that's the case, I've managed just shy of 32 mph for 70 miles ... but it was a one shot deal with the right conditions and a favorable wind.

I hear plenty of anecdotal evidence of "one time on a trip from A-B ..." but I sure don't hear anyone doing better than 450 miles on a tank.

Hell, not many people have broken 420! Again, show me the evidence and I'll buy in.

I'm still in the break-in period with my new Spec B. First tank was 27.6 mpg - babied all the way. Second tank, I was on the throttle quite a bit more, learning how the car really handles. 21.5 mpg. Figure I'll probably average about 22-23 on a normal daily basis. My daily commute is rural 2-lane with some stops, but nothing you would call "highway". I have hopes that I could hit 30 mpg with 6th gear and cruise control on a highway trip - say out to Vegas or Alburquerque, but I'm usually not that disciplined.

Besides, if I had wanted to drive that way, I would have bought a Prius, (or some other electric jelly bean) instead of my Spec B! :lol:

What would the ideal setup be for both MPG and, at a minimum, stock mpg/torque? I'm thinking:

• Catless UP
  • HFC catted DP (Nod to the treehuggers. I figure anyone that concerned about MPG will also have some concern for emissions)
  • Water/Meth injection (possibly the centerpiece)
  • AP Protuned to at least equal stock output
  • 0-W30 synthetic oil
  • All season tires with high air pressure (At least 215/45/17. No cheating on tire size)
  • Lighter rims (In theory. Would not be a practical mod)
  • Port, polish and coat the stock turbo
  • AVO v.1 TMIC

Questions that others smarter than me can answer:

• Would a bigger or more efficient catback be of any benefit given that max output is not an objective?
  • Would an ECBS be of any benefit with the tune?
  • Would any suspension mods be of any benefit?

Any other suggestions?

Get the turbo....and here's why:

1) Nicer looking car

2) Far more fun when you want it to be.

3) Better resale in many cases

4) Safer car since there's more HP on tap if you need to squirt out of a dangerous driving situation.

5) No regrets when you do something nice for yourself.

I'm quite serious about the safety issue. More speed when you need it can really be a life saver. My wife test drove the non-turbo and felt that it lacked that safety margin of power. The GT has it in spades. The car is seriously fast and sticks with a lot of more pupose built sports cars...and it gets to be a family sedan when it's required.

Our new 2007 GT

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/Bobsprit/REBGT.jpg

Capt RB

Show me someone who has done better.

I know of only ONE other member who has achieved more miles on a full tank of gas. I'm talking sustainable MPG, not occasional 50 mile trips with favorable conditions. If that's the case, I've managed just shy of 32 mph for 70 miles ... but it was a one shot deal with the right conditions and a favorable wind.

I hear plenty of anecdotal evidence of "one time on a trip from A-B ..." but I sure don't hear anyone doing better than 450 miles on a tank.

Hell, not many people have broken 420! Again, show me the evidence and I'll buy in.

ive gotten about 500 miles on a freeway trip including starts and stops. usally in combined city/freeway daily commuter driving including lots of gridlock traffic, its usually 400 miles a tank. ive already posted screenshots of my trip computer records in the past and ive confirmed the mileages using a pocket calculator and gas station fillups. in fact sometimes my handheld calculations were higher, once the trip gave me a 30.3 mpg reading and my calculations gave me 30.9 mpg.

my highest sustainable mpg record was 33.3 which i caputered a screenshot, but even during that trip i got ashigh as 34.6 but that was only temporary with favorable conditions. the 33.3 mpg was my sustained avg which varied between 33.3 and 33.6, but i took the lower number, plus my car was fully loaded with cargo, rear window almost blocked, AC on and speeds avg between 65 and 70 mph.

still you are very vehement about your opinion on thr issue, do you think i get different results bcause of having the 6th gear vs just a 5th? or in your opinion does that not make any significant difference at all.

this car takes premium.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about mpg. NONE of the legacys (or any subarus for that matter) are great on gas. You buy a legacy to enjoy. I get about the same mpg as my cousin's s2000 and I actually make more power (and torque is existent). note: we both drive like madmen when we can. He's got an exhaust that is only sounds above 5k rpm.

Here's what I do and I recommend it to anyone. Buy a cheap miata with flippy headlights. they do upper 20s low 30s combined, AND take regular. bulletproof, easy to work on (except for the oil filter. shitty oil filter)

either way you're not going to be happy with fuel costs in this car. just being honest. you may get 30 mpg but why do it if you're going to be miserable. (and you WILL be miserable)

hope this helps.

car for sale. PM me!

Hey, I leave to buy a car and I come back to almost 90 responses! Thanks for all the input on the gas mileage from everyone! In the spirit of driving a slow car fast, I found a smokin' deal on a 2005 2.5i wagon. My wife and I flew from KC to SLC to get it and we road tripped it back. It was a great way to get acquainted with the car! It got a solid 30mpg through the rocky mountains and it's getting an easy 31-32 on the highway around here. I figured that since I loved my '97 Impreza and the 2.5i still had a slightly better power to weight ratio, the Legacy would be just like a bigger, better Impreza. Aside from the body roll in the corners (Ralitek on the way) I'm pleased enough with the handling. For what I really need it for, it has plenty of power and I like the driveability of the low end torque. Thanks again! I'll post pics soon.

-Chris

30mpg sustained is truly amazing on a GT. This is the 2nd GT limited Legacy I have owned and when I drove my new wagon back to Portland from Seattle I averaged 26.7 mpg and I'm pleased with that. My averages in this wagon are just slightly higher than my sedan at the moment, mostly because the wagon is bone stock right now, but mid-20's on the highway is pretty reasonable in my experience to average on the freeway, especially if you are driving normally, i.e. occasionally stepping on the gas to pass some retard in the fast lane going under the speed limit. Anyone who has a LGT and likes driving knows this happens regularly on the highway. If you want max MPG, drive in the slow lane and draft a semi. Then you'll get your 30+ MPG. Of course, if you do this, I dare ask: What the HELL are you driving a turbocharged car for?! Just get a 2.5i and let the rest of us go around you. There, that's my rant for the night.

Is there any noticeable difference in fuel economy between the manual and automatic transmissions when it comes to highway driving? I noticed that the final gear ratio is lower for the manual in 5th so I guess there's a theoretical advantage.

How about from sedan to wagon? The sedan would probably have the edge in terms of weight and aerodynamics?

I know... it's probably insignificant but I was bored at work and trying to think of something to pass away some time. :lol:

If I were to drive 65, i get about 33 there about with the A/C off. Turn the A/C on and mileage tanks by about 2 MPG.

I get about 28 to 26 at 80 MPH depending of how strong of a Nebraska wind I'm fighting; with A/C.

When the car cruises above 3000 RPM (70 mph) the mileage goes down quite quickly. Below that however its pretty good.

I love my car ... basically.

Archived