LegacyGT.com

Is a 5MT LGT capable of 30 mpg hwy?

Great example :lol::lol::lol:

Use the button fools http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/createlink.gif

Damnit. :lol: Was hoping I would get it all edited before anyone caught it (I had to edit it 3 times because I forgot spaces in my 'how to' and that screwed everything up. :lol:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30mpg is doable, but defeats the purpose of the LGT. If you're ok driving that conservatively, then just get the 2.5i.

Exactly. Even if you do drive that conservatively, you're not going to get 30mpg often. I have tried to repeat that gas mileage (just to see if I could), and I can't. best I could get was 26.x or something. That kind of mileage is going to be the exception, not the norm.

As others have said, it is possible to get close to 30 here and there, but on the average you aren't going to do any better than 25. I get a tank here or there on long trips where I approach 30 (backroads where you don't break 55mph much) but as soon as you get on a highway and/or go faster you will see 25 or lower. If you are buying this car as a gas savings over your impreza, DON'T. You will not do better than 25 in the long run, and don't forget you'll be putting super in the tank..... You gotta pay to play!

It bounces between 24 and 26 when cruising - intelligent mode I've been able to get it to 28 for short times (but it rarely stays steady because of lots of hills).

In the end I get ~25 highway, though I haven't gone on any really long drives yet.

19 MPG all inclusive (city).

06 Spec.B FTW!:icon_cool:):lol:

The 07 Spec. should be teh fuel efficienter.

I haven't made the drive up to Seattle with the 07 spec.B, yet, but when I do, I'll make a mpg report. I'm guessing 28 round trip.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Just got back from a 300 mile round trip from Oklahoma City to Sheppard AFB, Tx. I am stg 2 E-tuned with a manual. I got 30.6 mpg on the return trip. It was mostly down hill. I got 26 mpg on the way to Shepard AFB with the air on. It was 76 degrees in northeast Tx.

I drive on pretty flat roads here in Florida, & with the cruise at 70, no AC I get between 28 - 31 MPG averaged over 20 miles on the computer; depends on the wind. Today I got 29.8 AVERAGE including some in town driving, with easy but not slow acceleration. Hwy average was 31! Key to this is clutching/putting 'er in neutral & coasting when doing so lets you keep up w/traffic. I also change the air filter every 5-6,000.

I compared the computer to actual measued MPG & it was off 1.2 MPG.

Of course, if I run it through the gears it drops quickly. Aside from commuting I try to run it hard thru first & second once a day (apart from MPG calculations:icon_mrgr ).

just reduce throttle tip in as much as possible, one way is to slow down the throttle blade opening rate.....

**and this is a 25~30 mile drive from irvine/south oc, ca to buena park/north oc, ca

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/bmorrisj/Image025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/bmorrisj/stockthrottle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/bmorrisj/econthrottle.jpg

No. Any person on this board or in person that tells you they get 30MPG+ on the Highway... Highway ONLY miles, is a lying sack of sh1t.

Either their car is f'ed up and their running extremely low boost or they're flat out lying.

Even on cruise control in a 5MT or a 5EAT, you're not going to get that.

No. Any person on this board or in person that tells you they get 30MPG+ on the Highway... Highway ONLY miles, is a lying sack of sh1t.

Either their car is f'ed up and their running extremely low boost or they're flat out lying.

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that vehement post. :D

I've gotten close enough to 30 (though never actually made it), according to the trip computer, that I don't have any problems believing that it is possible to see 30+ for some amount of time.

I'm not sure how accurate that is in reality, but if we're all using the same skewed measurement, we should all be off by about the same amount.

Normal traffic? 20-21 mpg, in average driving. Since it started hitting hte 30's down here, I'm down to 18 or 19. Whether thats my foot, or the temperature I couldn't tell you. heh :)

--james

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that vehement post. :D

I've gotten close enough to 30 (though never actually made it), according to the trip computer, that I don't have any problems believing that it is possible to see 30+ for some amount of time.

I'm not sure how accurate that is in reality, but if we're all using the same skewed measurement, we should all be off by about the same amount.

Normal traffic? 20-21 mpg, in average driving. Since it started hitting hte 30's down here, I'm down to 18 or 19. Whether thats my foot, or the temperature I couldn't tell you. heh :)

--james

No, these 30+ MPG posts are a freak nature of either the landscape, tune, boost, downhill or whatever else can cause it. The question that the OP asked is is it capable, sure, but again, in freak cases.

I suppose if the question was "Average 30+MPG" I'd probably just laugh like I laugh at the sub 1% of the people on this board that get 30+MPG in their Legacy's.

I think I can hit ~30mpg driving back roads no stops and 5th gear with 2000-2500 rpm. Anything else I got ~25.

After real winter came and I changed tires from OEM RE92 to 225/45R17 Dunlop SP5000 my milage dropped to 22.

I commute 55 miles each way mostly on highway. Moderate traffic.

Krzys

Well, I have been monitoring my fuel econ since new to see what it gets. 2005 LGT Wagon 5MT

So far running on Shell VPower 91 Oct since new, currently at 24,932 kms with Amsoil 5w30 and currently Amsoil 0W30 as of 24000 km change.

I have seen 10.2 l/ 100 kms (~23 mpg) since new average both city and highway over the almost 25000 kms.

Best seen was 7.6 l/ 100 kms(~31 mpg) on a road trip through NH and MN - strictly highway with cruise over 1400 kms from Toronto, ON to Frederction, NB. Average temp was 24C / mid 80'sF

It is possible to see 30 mpg but not likely. My winter consumption goes up huge with the -35C temps. I was seeing 11.8l/100 kms (19 mpg) routinely the past week with the cold weather. Ugly.

I am planning on replacing the regualr air in my tires with Nitrogen to see if that makes any difference..I read that Nitrogen can show 3% fuel economy savings....I doubt it but I've got to try.

C

I have had my 5mt LGT for 2 years now. I have gotten 30 about 4 times and it was always on a back road (2 lane) in Vermont going around 55 to 60mph. It has always been with summer gas and on summer tires. Also it happens when there are a lot of slow cars in front and I can't pass. Not even the LGT can pass 6 cars on a straightaway....:lol: 4 cars is my limit at one time.

Anyway, once I get on the NY thruway and go around 70 to 80 it usually drops to 27-28 mpg. With all highway driving in summer I typically get at least 27mpg and I don't watch my speed or anything. During winter it is normally like 25 with snow tires etc.

Hope that helps.

All town/city (we don't have what I call a city in VT) driving I get right around 20, maybe slightly less in winter.

I have only had mine for about a month now but have made many road trips up and down from Burlington to NH. The best MPG I have seen is 25, and that was driving conservatively! and for about 180 - 200 miles. On average though, and in the "city" I average low 20's. if not 18- 19.

Really? Our '05 5MT turbo wagon gets 30-33mph easily and consistently on highway trips. We're talking: trips to Colorado-Idaho-Wyoming-Utah and back, Montana to Washington and back, and even just across Montana, including going over the Continental Divide. While we don't run 90mph very often, we run 80mph.

The '06 auto turbo sedan gets 26mph on these same trips. It only gets 20mph around town, though. But that's with my driving; the spouse does better. It's definitely improved now that it's got over 8,000 miles on it.

Archived