LegacyGT.com

Is a 5MT LGT capable of 30 mpg hwy?

^ I know it used to be the case that only straight gasoline was sold in those western states. When I have ventured out of the land of 10% ethanol to the straight gas states, I saw my mileage go up by 5 or 6%. I guess that's all changing with the mandatory addition of alcohol to all gas in the US now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best I've seen in my 2005 LGT Limited MT wagon is 28.5 mpg in Deleware in the summer. Interestingly, my son was driving and I was driving my Dad's 2006 TDI Jetta. Same trip, 50.3 mpg! My average overall (mixed driving) winter mileage with big Thule box on top, cold temperatures, and aggressive snow tires has dropped from 23+ to 21 or so.

I'd love to see someone figure out how to put overdrive on our manual transmission to give an optimized for gas mileage gear ratio pegged to 70 or 75 mph.

OK...these are Imperial gallons....I did a trip last summer.....900 KM.....mostly night driving on "Cruise"....I got 31 MPG (Converted) for the trip..."CALCULATED"

Easy driving, almost no paasing, right around the speed limit...BORING, but it can be done :)

I'd love to see someone figure out how to put overdrive on our manual transmission to give an optimized for gas mileage gear ratio pegged to 70 or 75 mph.

I was just lookin at the various Subarus they had at the mall on display. Its odd to me how the gas mileage varies from model to model.

4EAT Outback 23 and 28

5 spd Impreza 2.5i 22 and 29

Would seem like the Impreza would be significantly better, but I guess the different AWD systems have an affect. But lookin at all these different models, I just fell like theyre kind of all over the place.

But I do agree, a 6th gear would be nice just for an overdrive. I know goin 75 mph I tach at about 3400 RPMs. Thats high, especially for a 5 speed. If I could shift it into 6th and drop it too around 3000 that would be nice, and maybe help my gas mileage.

Driving through Yellowstone we were able to get about 32-33MPG, and going through colorado (RMNP/Denver) we got about 30. The car is great in the mountains, it's like it uses less gas going up the hills than most other cars, and none going downhill, and it doesn't lose power like a regular car will.

Otherwise it's 25-27ish on the highway, and pathetic in the city. :p But that might have to do with all the tearing away from streetlights my husband does. When i drive it in the city i can get over 20 easily. Driving 55-60 does help the gas mileage, but who wants to drive that slow? :icon_mrgr

it is be possible. in 2005 when I had my LGT, my wife and I went to a steelers game in Cleveland on christmas even -- drove from knoxville to cleveland and got 31.xx on the way up and 30.xx on the way back. used cruise control most of the way with little/no full throttle goofing off.

I got the same results the day I bought the car and drove it home from Maryland to New Jersey.

I filled up right next to the highway and barely touched local traffic until I got off for my exit.

I've never been able to repeat this though.

On a trip from washington D.C. to charolotte N.C. I averaged over 30mpg according to the trip computer. I didnt verify this against atual gas used though. This was AP stage 1 at the time in the middle of the summer.

usually I average about 27 (highway) according to the on board display - which ends up being about 25 or 26 when i do the math at the pump.

Averaged 31.5mpg this past weekend in my StageII 5EAT coming back from Roanoke. There were hills and everything. I think the reason that I got that mileage though is because I was following a slow driver. But for you people that say it's not possible....IT IS!!!

It's definitely possible, I've gotten 30 mpg (calculated, not going off the trip odometer) in my 5MT on several occasions, and that's on a complete tank, not just for 50 miles here and there. Flat roads, good weather, 65 - 75 mph speeds. For long trips involving several fillups, I usually get 26 - 27 overall, but my long trips almost always involve several mountain ranges and 75 mph + at times.

This has been really informative. Thanks for all of the replies! Any chance of getting reports of max economy for the 2.5i? Should I start a new thread for that? If it's not much better, than GT it is!

-Chris

My best average for a tank of gas is about 24. But that was during the summer. Now in the cold I have been getting around 19 and as low as 16.5 for a tank!! If you like the boost and or playing dont expect to get to far into the 20's.

30mpg?? After installing my TDC Stage 1 map recently, I'm just hoping someday to hit 20mpg!!

Of course, I have not exactly been soft on the throttle... :icon_mrgr

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

^^^yea, keep out of the booooooooooost!!!

Go with the GT. I personally think the advantages in gas milege of the 2.5i are not worth the lack of power. Then again, if the 2.5i got the milege of a prius I'd still have gotten the GT.

I typically get 22.8 mpg going from MD to PSU and 23.7 MPG going from PSU to MD. (That's roughly 230 miles, with lots of hills).

Driving around campus, I'll normally get between 12 and 14. Even if I granny drive it I still can't get over 16 on campus.

Mixed driving in my MD home town I'll get between 20 and 22.

I got 30 while on a long road trip going through states that don't use 10% Ethanol in their fuel. When I got back to the East coast (Where 10% Ethanol in the gas is the norm), my mileage dropped again.

10% Ethanol kills gas mileage!

Wow! Thanks for the fast responses! I kind of figured that 30 was out of the question, but mid to high 20's would be alright with me. I do most of my around town stuff on bike(cycle), so I basically just want to be able to road trip without going broke. It seems that with a light foot, the GT's aren't too far off from the 2.5i's on the highway.

Mid to high 20's is fantastic. I have only once got 32mpg on a 300 mile trip driving between 65-80 the entire trip mostly cruise control. That was an 05 auto no mods.

Since getting the MT my high was about 27mpg- again, no mods

I now have stage 2 and when driving aggressively I get about 17-19 mpg

Watch my average and stay off the throttle and get 22mpg

The less stop and go, less acceleration, the better your mileage is going to be

^ Anticipating traffic conditions so you don't have to bleed off that expensive speed by using the brakes is also a big gas saver. For example, you see 4 cars in your lane at a busy 4 way stop and 1/4 mile down the road you might as well coast up to them because you're probably going to have to wait anyway (and ride the clutch a bit inching up a car length at a time).

When Cobb finally gets things squared with the AP2, ProTuner & StreetTuner then leaning things out at low cruise loads (leaner than the locked 14.7 parameter) should easily yield 30. I would say that 70-75 MPH would be close to the limit for max speed to get those numbers though. I did it years ago on my MKIV Supra TT and an AFC averaging 32-35 MPG Hwy, yes it did have a deep 6spd so it helped there also.

Shawn

Archived