LegacyGT.com

2001 SAAB 9-3 Viggen anyone know much about them??

Have a opportunity through a close buddy to pick one up for a very good price.

Estate sale

The details.....

2001 SAAB Viggen hardtop

34k original miles/original owner

Garage kept very good to mint cond.

5MT

I'm reseaching the modding ability now, I would just like to get a idea on how reliable these are.

The wagon would still be around, I'm looking @ this SAAB as a commuter & a track car:icon_twis

The only thing wrong with the car right now is the tires are suffering from dry-rot due to sitting to much.

Anyone?????

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Heres where i can chime in

My last car was a stage4 Saab 9-3, put down 320hp and 350 torque.

The TQ steer even at the point was minimalized. If you get a viggen stock YES there will be torque steer, however you can fix that for $250. Theres a kit called the viggen rescue kit, which has sway bar, steering rack brace and clamp which prolly reduces the torque steer by about 75%.

I LOVE saabs, and the viggen is the best older one of course. they're severely underrated from factory, i see stock ones putting down around 285BHP. They are tuner friendly, get 30+ mpg and are relatively problem free if you take care of them. 2001 is a good model year as you dodge the dreaded piston issue. If i had two driveway spaces, you'd be damn sure the second one would have a saab in it.

how much are they to mod?
From what I have been looking not that bad........

Here is the list so far of items I'm looking @

MP power ECU.............680

Upgraded intercooler...390

turbo bypass................95

Catback.......................500

Intake.........................200

Tune ...........................400

Suspension & Braking

Springs........................270

Koni shocks.................500

Brake upgrade............700

Rear sway...................200

These are all new parts & from what I have learned maybe able to get quite a few of them used:icon_wink

I have been told this setup once tuned could net just over 300whp & about the same tq wise......

I should get a few pics by the end of the week

Not sure about the clutch....will try & look into the upgrade cost for that today......

BTW........

Even if I purchased all new parts I still would only have around 15k into it:):):)

Spray.....

do you happen to know where I can locate the "rescue kit"

Genuinesaab.com, accept nothing less if you can.

FORGET aobut MP tunes, only go Nordic or another reputable European tuner like SQR or BSR. The viggen is not a high RPM car, drive and you'll find out why. It has GOBS of torque at low range, the 2.3L is a VERY stout engine. If you want a high revver get a 2.0 like I had and a fat turbo. Clutch costs $300 to upgrade which includes a viggen pressure plate, I had a spec stage2 in my car and it held the abuse for 40,000 KM at 320 tq + before I sold it.

Genuinesaab sells the VRK parts, he's an amazing leader of saab parts and one of the best milling machine operators i've ever seen. His viggen project car is extremely impressive, and should have the turbo kit coming out for it this spring. All I can suggest to you is take it out for a drive, you'll either love it or hate it. The kick in the ass torque is nothing like I've ever experienced to this day...the Legacy is an awesome car, much better suited for my working needs...but the Viggen is just a straight fun car with a lot more class.

Nothing beats spanking maseratis, Carrerra S's, Tuned STI's and g35's on the highway.

Wukindada, so the car is around 11k? Thats really nice, but why not dump more money into the legacy :) Nice coilovers? For 4 grand you are getting close to an IPT built 5eat....(the cost of the above mods)

10k:):):)

I'm going down to give it a look & drive on saturday morning (Miami). Thanks for the advice spray.....

VT....still going to do a few upgrades to the tranny, but performance wise I might just be done. Besides I have almost 40K on the little wagon now. It would be nice to just drive it around on the weekends;)

Spray.....do you know anything about the HVAC on the SAAB's I have had a few friends say they are problematic & Uber expensive to replace.

Still going to Miami in the moring but I've found out someone else is interested in the car also.....

I will not get into a bidding situation, I'm taking a check down for the asking amount & no more;)

Ready to pull the trigger on my mods list from genuinesaab.com as soon as I get back

Never been in a Viggen before, how are the seats??

I used to work for SAAB, tons of people love these cars...why? I have no idea. The thing squeeks and rattles like no ones business, and I saw soo many strange problems with the cars. Electrical things mostly.... quirky things. CEL lights, dashs going out that sort of thing. Get in a few of them and drive em.... if you like it get it. I have not had good experiences.

Viggen seats are honestly widely regarded as the most comfortable seats of_all_time. I was actually going to pull the trigger and drop a grand on just the seats for my 9-3, but decided to sell instead.

The Viggen seats are amazingly comfortable man, what color is it? The two-tone interiors look HOT

Viggen seats are honestly widely regarded as the most comfortable seats of_all_time. I was actually going to pull the trigger and drop a grand on just the seats for my 9-3, but decided to sell instead.

The Viggen seats are amazingly comfortable man, what color is it? The two-tone interiors look HOT

One of the great things about the Viggens was that all the colors were cool.

Archived