LegacyGT.com

KUMHO ECSTA SPT vs. General Tire Exclaim UHP

fatbastard

OK...someone help me decide. I have searched but haven't found any info that sways me one way or another. I am currently running the OEM RE92's and I think they are decent but I certainly wouldn't spend money to buy new ones. I am looking for soemthing that will have a bit more grip or at least be a little more predictable and will likely get them in 225/45/17. I do live in NJ so I will see snow but I have dedicated snows for that but due to the snow and heavy salt use the raods are full of potholes. I am also looking for a tire that does well in the rain. I was originally looking at the Exclaim due to its great price and good reviews but noticed in the tests that the SPT outperformed it in every catagory. The SPT is basically the same price so that is a non issue, I just want to make sure I make the right right purchase. I have had experiences with both manufacturers in the past. With General it was OK, the tires performed well but wore out quick, and the Kumhos were a great value, performed well and treadlife was reasonable.

The Kumho's seem to have the edge in public opinion on brand name alone but those who bashed the General's never said why they were teh suck. The SPT's should perform better in all conditions except one. They are not suitable at all for snow. While I have dedicated snows there are often early/late season snows that I will have to drive in and would prefer a tire that doesn't leave me in a ditch. I also figure that the tread compound on the Exclaim will be more suitable for cold weather use due to its M&S rating. Some have also noted that the Exclaims sidewall is soft, which may limit the tires cornering ability but it does make driving in NJ more comfy and based on the TR tests it isn't too far behind. Based on tread design I would have thought the Exclaim would best the SPT in the rain but it does seem more aggressive which may be what allows it to work in light snow.

Here is a link to the test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=4

And to the graphs: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=4

I really think I am leaning towards the Exclaim mainly because of the comfy sidewalls and M&S rating but the added performance of the SPT is enticing; especially the 4 foot shorter braking distance from 50 in the wet. So should I get the SPT's enjoy the extra performance and just run the dedicated snows more of the year? Or be happy with the Exclaim's which I am sure will be much better than the RE92's and not have to worry about swapping the snows as early and burning them up?

All that I have to say is that the Kumho SPT's that I've used for the past summer, are 150% better :) than the old RE92's :( they replaced.

I also use dedicated winter Hankook W300 Ice Bears for the past 2 months or so. They are on a separate set of rims and have not left me stranded with traction problems, lack of steering response or braking control on ice. :icon_mrgr

I got them from Discount Tire Direct.

I will be purchasing General Exclaim UHP (ultra High Performance summer) For my summer wheels

$80 a piece

I have dedicated Snow tires mounted on my stock wheels

Dunlop Wintersport M3's

Have the same winter setup, since it would be eassy enough to swap wheels rather than mount and balance tires when a storm is coming I am open to teh SPT's and their better perfomance, just don't know if they are any good once the temps drop even if there is no snow, which is why I might still be leaning towards the Exclaim

kuhmo asx's are a dream on my car. great dry, but if you choose to drive like an arse in the rain, they slide a little
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

contiextreme contacts

Never had any experience with Conti's other than the road bike and hopefully they are better than that. What is it about these you find so good? Not sure I like all the small blocks; typically I find treads like that to be a little squirelly, but what is your real world experience like?

Looked at the Contis a little more and they seem to be a good option:

Conti Extremes 225/45/17 run $388 for the set, are teh lightest of the bunch at 20# and the speedo error isn't bad either...61.4 vs. 60mph

Exclaims are $300 for the set, come in at 21#'s and would be 60.9 vs. 60

SPT's are heavier than OEM at 24#'s, a set runs $328...no data on revs/mile

RE92's are a fantastic deal at $732 and weigh 23#'s

Obviously stock is out. Just wish there was a way to compare the Conti's with the SPT and Exclaim.

i can tell you that the SPT's are gonna be better than the exclaims or the asx...for one the asx or gonna be discontinued because of the spt's and the exclaims are shit...i promise you...they are cheap and i have them come back in for seperations and defects all the time...i work for discount tire and i only run either the Goodyear GSD3's the SPT's or TOYO Proxes 4's...try those and u wont be dissapointed promise...

the exclaims are shit...i promise you...they are cheap and i have them come back in for seperations and defects all the time

That seems odd; I read through the reviews on the site and didn't see anything about separations. Many had said they don't handle as well as the reviews would indicate but that is where the TR test comes in.

true a test company isnt gonna say that...but from my experience from installing them and maintaining tires i have had 1 outta 10 come back from the GSD3, SPT and TOYOs where as the EXCLAIMS maybe 4 outta 10 or more than that...they are an entry level tire to me...imo but they are sold as a mid range...go with them if you perfer...just make sure u get the full replacement road hazard discount tire offers...u wont be let down with that...it will replace the tire free of charge for any type of road hazard damage

That's great and all, but I've had both the Kumho Ecsta SPT's and I am currently running the General Exclaim UHP's. I had the Kumho's on my old 18" BBS wheels. They were a reasonably grippy, middle of the road summer performance tire. Very good, especially for their low price, but not outstanding in any way.

I just got another set of 19" wheels and wrapped them in the General Exclaim UHP. I picked them primarily due to the recommendation of a fellow local member who also runs 19" wheels, when he noted how incredibly smoothly they ride. The low price cinched it for me. I have to say the the Generals ride amazingly well! My ride is actually more plush on the 19's than the 18's that came off the car. Turn-in response is middling for a performance tire, but more than adaquate for a daily driver type of car. Noise levels are reasonable if not outstanding. I haven't taken them extremely hard in the corners since I'm still wearing off the release compound, but they seem at least average in total grip compared to other summer performance tires. As for quality, I can say that no single tire has more than 1 oz of balance weights in any single spot. 2 of the wheel/tire combos have less than 1 oz of total balance weights. IMHO, that is indicative of tight quality control. BTW, in case anyone was wondering, Continental Tire bought out the General brand a while ago and make them in one of their eastern european factories.

i have had 1 outta 10 come back from the GSD3, SPT and TOYOs where as the EXCLAIMS maybe 4 outta 10 or more than that...

I think a 10% failure rate is high, let alone 40%! Based on a 40% failure rate there would have been over 100 reviews on Tire Rack that had separation issues. I am not trying to say you're making sh!t up but it defaintely sounds like an exaggeration. What are your experiences with the Conti's mentioned earlier?

That's great and all, but I've had both the Kumho Ecsta SPT's and I am currently running the General Exclaim UHP's. I had the Kumho's on my old 18" BBS wheels. They were a reasonably grippy, middle of the road summer performance tire. Very good, especially for their low price, but not outstanding in any way.

I just got another set of 19" wheels and wrapped them in the General Exclaim UHP. I picked them primarily due to the recommendation of a fellow local member who also runs 19" wheels, when he noted how incredibly smoothly they ride. The low price cinched it for me. I have to say the the Generals ride amazingly well! My ride is actually more plush on the 19's than the 18's that came off the car. Turn-in response is middling for a performance tire, but more than adaquate for a daily driver type of car. Noise levels are reasonable if not outstanding. I haven't taken them extremely hard in the corners since I'm still wearing off the release compound, but they seem at least average in total grip compared to other summer performance tires. As for quality, I can say that no single tire has more than 1 oz of balance weights in any single spot. 2 of the wheel/tire combos have less than 1 oz of total balance weights. IMHO, that is indicative of tight quality control. BTW, in case anyone was wondering, Continental Tire bought out the General brand a while ago and make them in one of their eastern european factories.

I have the generals on my 19"s they are great tires. They are smooth and grip well. I would say go for the Generals.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I think a 10% failure rate is high, let alone 40%! Based on a 40% failure rate there would have been over 100 reviews on Tire Rack that had separation issues. I am not trying to say you're making sh!t up but it defaintely sounds like an exaggeration. What are your experiences with the Conti's mentioned earlier?

as far as the failure rate...im just giving a basis on what comes into the shop...but then again most of the cars i see them on just get them cause they are cheap and the few stores ive been at have been in the ghetto...in different areas they all sell differently...thats what my basis was on...so ill edit what i said...the UHPs are decent tires...just too soft for me and ive really only put them on civics and cheaper setups cause some clientel dont wanna shell out a few extra bucks to get a better and longer lasting tire...sorry if it seemed i was just straight out bashing them...i just am not a big general/conti fan for the exception of a few...

as far as the conti's go...awesome tire...stock on many porche, cedes, bmws like the higher end models ive seen them on corvettes aswell...i think they are a softer compound and they dont seem to last as long as some of the harder compounds ive sold...nonetheless they are a great tire...you get performance for your money no doubt

and no i dont think the failure rate is really that high i must just be over stating but then again the people get the uhp's in 35 and 30 series sidewalls and in houston the roads a treachorous for rubber band setups

i guess my view of tires could be different due to or 90+ heat almost all year round haha...we never see tempuratures low enough for me to really comment on winter driving conditions but it does get wet and nasty here so as far as wet wheather handling i like the gsd3's or the spt's

I just put a set of Conti Extremes on my 05 GT Wagon and I have been blown away by them- way better than the RE92s on dry or wet roads, and also excellent traction in our recent snowstorms. I had originally planned to go with dedicated snow and summer tire/wheel setups, but the Contis are so good I really can't see the point...

Dave

The SPTs are cheap and good for the rain,..Im going to stick with MXs though cause they are 3lbs lighter and a little wider for the same size width....go figure,..

I think the SPTs are a newer model compared to the MXs too,..

if you want cheap...I'd go for the Kumho ASX. Softer sidewalls like the General's but I think more grippy.

FYI...Firestone shops have 10% mail in rebate off a set of 4 Bridgestones. Getting RE960's 225/45/17 for $620 out the door, not counting 10% off tires...about $565 for one of the best Ultra High Performance All Season tires. (tire rack testing has these at near summer tire performance)

Archived