LegacyGT.com

Headlight de-ambering question

whobaru

Okay, so I took my grill out, took out my factory intake (yes, it's still factory...I just got the car), unbolted the headlight...began unbolting my bumper and side fender, etc. ...argh.... is there an easier way to get the headlights out of my '06 legacy gt. I want to take the headlights apart and remove the amber lenses. I never had headlights be so difficult to remove. Am I missing something? Help! Thx. :icon_conf

look up headlight clearing. You have to bake the headlight to get the rubber soft to take apart the headlights. I don't put plastic in the oven so that's why I never did it. Plus you risk gettingmoisture in your headlights.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

look up headlight clearing. You have to bake the headlight to get the rubber soft to take apart the headlights. I don't put plastic in the oven so that's why I never did it. Plus you risk gettingmoisture in your headlights.

They are not sealed headlights, you can easily remove moisture by taking of the bulb cap and drying them out.

it looks more scary than it really is. If you take your time it's not bad.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

...began unbolting my bumper and side fender, etc. ...argh.... is there an easier way to get the headlights out of my '06 legacy gt.

:icon_conf 8 or so plastic popits hold the bumper on.... take off the grill, intake scoop and unpop the coolant tank and the bumper slides off...

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great! nice rollaway in the background...

I did this a few months back and the exsisting condensation problem in my passneger side light got worse. Waiting for a warm weekend to drop the bumper and frakenstein my chrome '06 pieces into a donor '05 light.

Did you use the oven method? If so, what temp/time did you use and how hard were they to pull apart?

it looks more scary than it really is. If you take your time it's not bad.

+1 ^^^^ It took some convincing for my wife to let me put them in the oven, but 200 degreees for 10 minutes, and some gloves so you dont get burned.

I added windshield butyl to them on reassembly. I baked them again and they went together nicely.

See my post today, "Did my lights":)

i'll never forget the look on my wife's face when she came in the kitchen and i had her brand new car's headlight on a cookie sheet, wearing 2 oven mits and socket all over the kitchen table......"honey, yea, see, uh wha had happened was i was reading this thread on lgt forum and.......

BUSTED

in your avatar your headlights look blackned.. did you finally do it in the oven or a heat gun?

i'll never forget the look on my wife's face when she came in the kitchen and i had her brand new car's headlight on a cookie sheet, wearing 2 oven mits and socket all over the kitchen table......"honey, yea, see, uh wha had happened was i was reading this thread on lgt forum and.......

BUSTED

:lol: I love the smell of freshly baked headlights in the morning.

Archived