LegacyGT.com

modding question after t he sti swap.

so after sti swap is done, are you just stuck there with the sti engine ?

can it be modified more?

even IF it can be modified which part do you have to go with? sti or legacy?

will i have the speed of sti?

I am seriously hoping your aren't considering this venture.

yeah man you should have an idea of your plans and understand whats going on before you do a swap. LGT has the same bottom block, just diff intake mani throttle body and intercooler setup.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

LMAO.

i concur... if you ask a simple minded question such as that, (before the search nazis appear) you should NOT attempt this on your own. read the forums, search for the info, do the research and then decide what route you want to take. this swap is not for the faint of heart... ;) i know a little about cars, but no way i could have done this entirely on my own. and with your original question, i will conclude that you don't know anything about THESE cars, so as the movie and tv show disclaimers say: "don't try this at home!" at least not until you do your research so you can ask intelligent questions. sorry, don't mean to step on your feelings....

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Some of you are missing the basicness of the original question. The OP assumes we're referring to the "STi swap" as meaning "the entire engine from an STi."

To the OP: An STi swap refers to the intake manifold and turbo from an STi. The rest remains stock Legacy, which is identical to the STi to begin with.

mechanics can do the swap. i searched and have little understanding of what has to be done.

what i am wondering is that after the whole sti-conversion(SwaP). whats next?

if you have the money to pay a mechanic to do it, just get the damned STi.

again... :rolleyes: ... do a search on what others here have done with theirs. i would suggest making sure you at least have engine management or your car will not function properly. also, have it tuned professionally if possible, preferably someone who does know what they are doing. as for having a mechanic install this... unless it's a tuner shop or they know subarus inside and out (modify them, not just work on them), do not let just any tech or mechanic touch your car.

i had one person who already did this themselves, myself, one of the subie techs on his day off, and another friend help with mine. we got it done in one day, ran into a few snags here or there, but got it finished. i had bad maps the first go around and the car did not work or run by the next day. changed the maps, the car ran. now, i'm in the process of working out my mapping issues with one of the tuning shops, PDX tuning, to get the car at least acceptable (more agressive for my daily driving style). I am looking to also upgrade my brakes to Brembo's as i plan on continuing to race this summer. You may not need to do that, but i'd recommend upgrading your brake pads at the very least.

I am now contemplating the feasibility of me driving down to Portland this Memorial weekend to have PDX and crew actually dyno tune the car the right way. this will ensure (not completely) that the car is less likely to blow up as it is currently my daily driver and i depend on it for business purposes. I will be in Seattle that week anyways, so with prices of airline tickets for myself and hubby, car rental for 10 days, etc, this may work out better. Just my $.02. How involved or how much more you want to do is entirely up to you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression was that the only benefit of the STi swap (in regards to upgrades beyond the STi pieces) is that that STi Intake manifold is needed in order to use any of the cheaper aftermarket STi turbos.

If your intentions are to go BIGGER after the swap then there is little point to the swap other than you might save a few $ on the turbo (which you will have spent on the manifold + labor).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression was that the only benefit of the STi swap (in regards to upgrades beyond the STi pieces) is that that STi Intake manifold is needed in order to use any of the cheaper aftermarket STi turbos.

If your intentions are to go BIGGER after the swap then there is little point to the swap other than you might save a few $ on the turbo (which you will have spent on the manifold + labor).

If you are sticking with a tmic configuration. Otherwise, if you are going fmic, there is no need to swap intake manifolds, in fact, it would be a hinderance. All current fmic LGT kits, are setup only for LGT manifolds, so you would need to do some piping mods. Not to mention that the plastic LGT manifold likely better isolates heat.

i went with my STI swap because:

1. it was relatively inexpensive: $1100 for the parts

2. i could do the labor myself or with the help of others

3. i have more options (although now there are some great LGT options) for going bigger

4. just because it's cool

5. did i mention it was relatively inexpensive??? and i happened upon the parts. otherwise, i'd have gone w/ a Perrin TMIC.

Archived