LegacyGT.com

So I got the warranty

I'm weak I guess, but I figured why not. 100% refundable if you don't use it, and I just wouldn't use it for anything less than the full purchase price. I got the 6 year, 60,000 mile gold warranty for $720. So, while I could still go and say I don't want it, tell me why I shouldn't get it. Yes, I know Subaru's are reliable (I'm banking on that to get my money back), but with a new model, there may be unforeseen issues. I know I could get it at a later time if it looks like certain things may be problematic, but I couldn't finance it then, or get the $200 off...

I did the same deal myself! I'm also banking on getting the money back! I turned it down initially but then they showed me the refundability stuff. It was easier to finance into the price than it might be to set aside the lump sum at a later time. My Wife's '03 Legacy is at 33,000 already and we need to decide if we want to buy a warranty for hers. She drives 50 miles a day so it could be a worthwhile investment. My GTP engine developed a cracked piston at 70,000 and I wish that I had an active warranty on it! Instead it's been sitting in my garage for almost a year with the engine and transmission out and spread around the garage because I'm not motived (nor do I have time) to fix it!

[quote name='TLS']100% refundable if you don't use it? Never heard THAT.[/QUOTE] It may be just my dealer, but you should check with yours. I did make sure that I could extend it too if it looks like I'm going to be going over my miles, or want an extra year. I just need to do it before my factory warranty is up, and then I only have to come up with the difference at that time.

So you pay $720 for the extended warranty. If totally UN-used at the end of the warranty, they give you $720 cash back? This was NEVER explained to me when we bought ours. We didn't opt for any extended warranty.

Well not cash, but a check for $720 yes. As far as mods go, I don't plan on doing anything crazy power-wise - It's fast enough! Accessport and maybe turboback exhaust... Has anyone had exhaust void their warranty?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the DRLs yet.... Anyways, it is very stealthy. I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I was walking out to it at the dealer after it was all cleaned up, it was parked on the other side of a larger car (Outback methinks) and I walked right past it! That's why I need to park out far away from other people, so I can see my car.

[quote name='!S4']I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the DRLs yet.... Anyways, it is very stealthy. I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I was walking out to it at the dealer after it was all cleaned up, it was parked on the other side of a larger car (Outback methinks) and I walked right past it! That's why I need to park out far away from other people, so I can see my car.[/QUOTE] The DRL thing was a joke. Maybe you didn't get teh memo. Anyways...it seems you're going to be like teh rest of us then. Super-anal about parking lots, etc. :D

Well, next time you make a joke, make it funny. ;) I honestly think that DRLs are a good thing, so I'm trying to figure out why I'd want to disable them. To be uberstealth? I am going to debadge this weekend though.

[quote name='!S4']I even have a signed certificate that says so!!! I can scan it if you'd like. :)[/QUOTE] I can scan mine too. I'm surprised that others hadn't heard about this! The catch is that if you use it for ANYTHING, you don't get a refund. If you save it for a replacement turbo, transmission, etc. it's worth it!

You may want to read that certificate carefully, because I had the same warranty (6/60,000) on my 2002 WRX and it was the biggest (and just about only) regret I had with that car. When I bought my WRX I told myself I was definitely going to keep it for a long time, and I let the finance guy at the dealership talk me into the warranty. He "discounted" the warranty to $870 and told me that I could get a refund if I didn't use it and sold my car before I used the warranty. Well, I traded in the WRX to get the Legacy and guess what... I only got 64% of my $870 back! Here's the way it worked for me (YMMV): My WRX had approximately 21,500 miles on it. The warranty was good for 60,000 miles. 21,500 is about 36% of 60,000. Therefore, I have used up 36% of my warranty and am only entitled to 64% back! Now before you start telling me I got screwed (I know I did), I reviewed the documentation and that's exactly what it says. What really pisses me off though, is that after I bought the car, I found out I could have bought that warranty at any time (so long as the 36K factory warrant hadn't expired), from any Subaru dealer and gotten just as good (if not better) a deal!!! So basically, I paid about $300 for a warranty I never used. Needless to say, when they tried to sell me the same thing on the Legacy, I told them that if I needed an extended warranty, I'd be back in about 35 1/2 months!

Yeah, ExRex is right. Look at the terms, the refund is "pro-rated". The only way you get all your money back is if you cancel the warranty immediately. If you run the warranty full term you get zero money back, even if you never actually use the warranty. Remember, warranties are huge cash cows for the dealers and manufacturers. Historically, they do not favor the customers. So generally you are better of passing on this. Best bet is to wait until just before the 3/36 basic warranty expires, and then decide if you think additional warranty is needed based on your experience with the car. Craig

[quote name='c_hunter']Yeah, ExRex is right. Look at the terms, the refund is "pro-rated". [/QUOTE] I'm going to go get it and read through it again now. It entirely possible that I missed something when reading the first time around. It sure didn't look pro-rated to me at the time.

[quote name='Trent Bates']I'm going to go get it and read through it again now. It entirely possible that I missed something when reading the first time around. It sure didn't look pro-rated to me at the time.[/QUOTE] We are selling our '03 WRX now and called to get he value of the warranty we got when new. Of the $1600 spent, we get $1K back after two years of ownership and not a single problem that wasn't covered under the 3/36K. Had it been up to me, I would not have gotten it but my girlfriend insisted and it was her car to drive. The standard drivetrain warranty is 5/60K (including the turbo), so it seems awfully expensive at $1600 to take it to 5/100K (albeit bumper to bumper).

Okay, I read the stuff I received and called the company and they said that they pro-rate the warranty as other have said. The person on the phone was aware that some dealerships have been known to refund an unused warranty in full. He suggested that I either look for more information in all of the stuff I've received, or contact the dealer. I'll get back to you all on this!

I can scan mine too. I'm surprised that others hadn't heard about this! The catch is that if you use it for ANYTHING, you don't get a refund. If you save it for a replacement turbo, transmission, etc. it's worth it!
Scans? Anybody? Unless you drive less than 12,000 miles per year, why buy the 6/60 extended warranty for turbo or transmission problems as the prowertrain warranty covers a replacement turbo and transmission for 5 years and 60,000 miles?

Although it it NOT listed in our warranty booklets, the attached letter from SOA confirms turbo coverage under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. Also, I got a free gift for complaining.:lol:

POWERTRAIN-WARRANTY.jpg.f7310c8947e80aebd1104c5ef7d5aa14.jpg

POWERTRAIN-LETTER.jpg.c7e2939bc00f0d339b4ef74396ff5187.jpg

Archived