LegacyGT.com

3sixty.2...Hum problems...or factory electrical problems?

f85stealth

fishing... hahahahha highly possible that thing started some of the rattles :D

i had an issue like yours mine was my front left was about 6 to 8 db quieter then my front right NO idea why what so ever. rf told me to redo the oem set up from the begining... it worked too. they said that something might not have loaded up properly. might wanna give the oem set up a whirl?

hiking... let me know how you like that... ive been wanting to hear one of those in person! also know someone wanting one.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hiking... let me know how you like that... ive been wanting to hear one of those in person! also know someone wanting one.

I'm liking it so far, the Alpine PLT-5 that is, but I've had very little time to play with all the settings on the 3Sixty. Add the sub just gave me a lot more to play with then I had before.

Once I get it dialed in I will post up a quick write-up in a new thread.

im still not getting enough gain out of my system before the feedback/engine whine. im pretty annoyed spending as much money as i have and i have these issues whether its subaru or rockford i dono but i think there needs to be a box out there that will break the connection on the RCA's when an audio signal is not detected, that would elminate most or all of the problem one the volume is up even the first notch its very hard to hear but when you are on the phone or trying to have a conversation with someone the engine whine is just unbareable......i wish there was an RF tech in florida that could go over the system.....dealers dont seem to know any more then i do....

Try this...

With the system ON, connect a wire from the 3Sixty power supply GROUND to the 3Sixty ouput RCA shield. Does the noise go away, if so add a wire permantly like this, if not let me know and we'll try soemthing else.

fishing... i doubt that will help with the dimming to be honest... it might, but its not on my list because i dont think it will do what i want. power upgrade wise i have a dual battery set up... which i figured would fix any dimming problems what so ever. i have a dual post Optima yellow top up front (used to be called the D34/75 battery i dont remember the name of it now) which is like 750 cca i think (nothing huge, but its a bigger optima) then i have a BatCap 800 in the back in my enclosure which does 800 cca; the thing is 70% battery and 30% capacitor. with both of these (didnt do a relay this time around since i didnt care to separate them) i thought it would solve all the problems but it didnt. if i turn things up i get headlight dimming. im partly pissed and partly not... from what i read our alternator doesnt pump out a ton of power... sooooooo i have been searching for alternator upgrades and i found someone that can do stuff at a reasonable price.

here is what he offered me:

Here you go..

180 $419

200 $439

220 $459

240 $479

Thanks, Dom

on the left is amps it will put out, if it doesnt make total sense. all are direct replacment alternators. i looked into someone respinning the stock one for a higher output and no one will touch the thing. i think that will be my next and hopfully last step. but i might be doing some 4300k hids first, which will have less of a current draw as well. soooo who knows...

id love to hear some of the other cars in here myself too :D with the eq stuff if you want i can post up what i did with mine lol im sure there is some way to export the info to the pc right? ive got an "S" shape curve to mine, which is usually how i like things lol!

hiking... you're lucky you dont have the odd noises when the radio is off, or when there is dead air... that is my one and really only complaint so far to be honest. when i have the radio just off it kind of just bugs me and well i dunno how i can make it go away. lol oh well i guess nothing is ever just 100% perfect i suppose.

If you are using Windows or WIndows Mobile, your files will be saved as *.360 files and will either be located at C:\Rockford (PC) or My Documents\[device name] My Documents\Rockford\3Sixty (WMD) These files can be e-mailed and imported into each other's 3Sixty devices. (Note on the PC sofwtare, this file can be loaded from anywhere where as on WM, you'll need to save it in the directory the other .360 files are saved.

Ok i will start off with the easy one....doo noooottt upgrade the output of ur alternator by having it respun or purchasing a new one. What happens when you do this is now your alternator can produce this higher output but only at higher rpm ranges sooo this inturn affects the low idle. So this could infact cause rough idling at a stop or the shutdown of your car. This is y when u go to a spl show the cars are always reving there engine when they hit the deep bass notes.

As for me not having the right equipmnet to get the volume i wont the is not the case. I had these same speakers but with lower model ones with shittier amps. I have heard what the lower model ones can do but now its nuthin but disappointment.

I have all infinity equipment 6.5 kappa perfect componenets up from

6.5 three way coaxials back

4ch 111w rms@4 ohm highs amp

and the subs and sub amp are yet to be installed....i need to finish the box

My amp gains are all the way down as it sits and i have the output levels on the 3sixty.2 at -2

If i try and raise the amp gain i get noise.....sometimes if i fiddle with it, its perfect no noise what so ever.....but i am still not getting the volume out of my speakers that i wish to have.

heres another kicker...i have the spec B with the factory nav. Well when the 3sixty was firstg installed with no tune the nav system was extremely loud but i had very high engine whine

After tune not so bad engine whine and i can barely hear the nav....even worse then factory.

I can only think of two thigns at this point one...turn up the gains on the input of the 3sixty....this will introduce distortion ionto the system but i may be able to turn it up enough to get the volume i need without a noticable distortion....two...my 3sixy is defective...this unit was refurbished and i did report the noise issues to RF before i tuned it and they said do the tune then try it out...welll now warranty is over (90 days only) and i still have the problem so i dono what to do at this point.

I really wish somewhere in fl there is some RF techs that could help out...id even pay...ugh!

Do NOT readjust the input levels on the 3Sixty. In the sofwtare, boost your output level a few dB to get more output.

As for your waranty, there is nothing wrong with the unit, we will get your issues fixed :)

Seth, its the IDMAX12 that's shaking your car loose. :) Even with my JL10W6, the rattles range from the rear deck to the headliner. Nothing from my dash yet, but I do have this annoying squeak coming from the rear. I'm guessing it's the fold down seats, but I'm not there yet.

I'm now on my 4th or 5th retune as I can't get the speakers to all sound the same. In my setup, I have a noticeable difference in sound from the left to the right channel and this is for both front and rear. I retuned over the weekend and now my right channel sounds way better than the left. Before the retune it was opposite. This one has me puzzled as it might be the polarity switched at the 3sixty2. Anyone else have this issue?

JBLU24, the rear channels are not strong enough for the 3sixty2 to gather information, even when connected. It will sum the channels based upon FL & FR inputs. From here you can tune to your hearts content within the 3sixty2.

What inputs are you using on your 3Sixty?

Humless in Portland

Regarding the clipping light for the sub, do you have a sub-input going into the 3Sixty? If not, then there's nothing to clip.

I'd have them check out the sub if it's popping with no input to it. That doesn't sound right at all.

If your sub input is high-level, disconnect it from the 3SIxty and connect it to a speaker. If there is signal there, it will play loud enough to hear. I suspect there is no audio on the wire you are using.

If you are using Windows or WIndows Mobile, your files will be saved as *.360 files and will either be located at C:\Rockford (PC) or My Documents\[device name] My Documents\Rockford\3Sixty (WMD) These files can be e-mailed and imported into each other's 3Sixty devices. (Note on the PC sofwtare, this file can be loaded from anywhere where as on WM, you'll need to save it in the directory the other .360 files are saved.

oh awesome! i wondered if they could be imported in else where since you could upload others and stuff. sweet, well hell if anyone wants id be happy to share what i have going... granted im sure since NONE of us have the same stuff we will most likely have maps and stuff that dont sound right on other cars.

Try this...

With the system ON, connect a wire from the 3Sixty power supply GROUND to the 3Sixty ouput RCA shield. Does the noise go away, if so add a wire permantly like this, if not let me know and we'll try soemthing else.

Just wondering where u came up with an idea like this? and how could u permanently do that with an rca plugged in? you would have to open the 3sixty and modify there.....just wondering what your credentials r before i try this out.....RF Tech has never mentioned anythign like that

Do NOT readjust the input levels on the 3Sixty. In the sofwtare, boost your output level a few dB to get more output.

As for your waranty, there is nothing wrong with the unit, we will get your issues fixed :)

I have my outputs to -2DB and its still not enough!

Just wondering where u came up with an idea like this? and how could u permanently do that with an rca plugged in? you would have to open the 3sixty and modify there.....just wondering what your credentials r before i try this out.....RF Tech has never mentioned anythign like that

If you check his profile it says: Rockford Design Engineer

Let's just say that I know a thing or 2 about 3Sixty (I read the manual :icon_wink )

Where are your amps gains set if 7:00 is min, 12:00 is half and 5:00 is max?

My highs amp is set to about 8am with ur analogy.....i have even worse noise on the aux in i have been playing with that alot lately because now i have my subs finally hooked up and again another problem! My subs only will work with my aux input.....so subs will not work with radio or cd player and i have absolutely no idea y....i cant tell you how frustrating this whole ordeal is....one good thign tho when i have the subs goin i have no engine whine becuase of the filtering so at least the subs sound good other then me only playing them on the aux....and if i did do that thing where i ground the RCA terminal on the 3sixty output can i ground it anywhere or does it have to be the same ground as where the power comes in on the 3 sixty....i hope that sounded right or at least u know what i mean!

question... would the bass boost gain be a problem? i know we are focusing on the normal gain but what about the boost? lol!

no problems u can turn up the gain too cause the whine or noise is all high frequency stuff which is filtered out duh for the bass :)

My highs amp is set to about 8am with ur analogy.....

That is too low. Depending on which amp you have, the MIN position can require anywhere from 4 to 8V to drive the amp to clip. This of course is with a 0dB signal (which music is not). We typically recommend 5 to 10dB of gain overlap to compensate for the recorded level of the music. You will need to reset your amp gains.

1. Play a test tone (typically 1k) at 0dB, radio at max unclipped/distorted.

2. Turn your amp gain up until the output clips (you can do this audibly or preferreably with an Oscilliscope

This is 0dB gain over lap

4. Now play the same freq with at -5 or -10dB and turn your amp gain up again until it clips

This is 5/10dB overlap, this is where we recommend you be

(Simple way) Turjn your amp gain up to 10:00 see if the output is loud enuf, if not try 12:00.

i have even worse noise on the aux in i have been playing with that alot lately because now i have my subs finally hooked up and again another problem! My subs only will work with my aux input.....so subs will not work with radio or cd player and i have absolutely no idea y....i cant tell you how frustrating this whole ordeal is....

The aux in is single ended. This means you are createing a giat ground loop from Aux Source --> 3Sixty --> Amp. This happens because each of the devices has its own ground point. You can either ground everything at the same point or use a ground loop isolator on the 3Sixty Aux input.

Try this for me, listen to your system in NORMAL mode. While the system is playing, UNPLUG the 3Sixty controller. You will notice your subwoofer now. In aux mode, the sub output is max and the knob controls the master volume. In normal mode you have iut set to Sub level so if it is not at its MAX position, it will attenuate the output.

one good thign tho when i have the subs goin i have no engine whine becuase of the filtering so at least the subs sound good other then me only playing them on the aux....and if i did do that thing where i ground the RCA terminal on the 3sixty output can i ground it anywhere or does it have to be the same ground as where the power comes in on the 3 sixty....i hope that sounded right or at least u know what i mean!

You need to ground EVERYTHING at the same point so they all have the same reference. You already have 1 wire coming into the GND terminal on the 3Sixty power connector. Add a wire coming out and touch it to the RCA shield on the OUTPUT. Does the noise go away?

That is too low. Depending on which amp you have, the MIN position can require anywhere from 4 to 8V to drive the amp to clip. This of course is with a 0dB signal (which music is not). We typically recommend 5 to 10dB of gain overlap to compensate for the recorded level of the music. You will need to reset your amp gains.

1. Play a test tone (typically 1k) at 0dB, radio at max unclipped/distorted.

2. Turn your amp gain up until the output clips (you can do this audibly or preferreably with an Oscilliscope

This is 0dB gain over lap

4. Now play the same freq with at -5 or -10dB and turn your amp gain up again until it clips

This is 5/10dB overlap, this is where we recommend you be

(Simple way) Turjn your amp gain up to 10:00 see if the output is loud enuf, if not try 12:00.

Ok i understand all that and thats all and good but how does ur average guy have any of that stuff to complete that. Meaning how do i know when im at -5 to -10db how do i know when my output is clipping ....most amps show when its clipping but clipping as normal as long as its not excessive. And i dono if it was u or another RF tech but in these blogs he had told all of us to keep our amp gains to almost nuthign....why i have no idea it didnt make sewnse to me but it does keep my noise to a minimum obviously. I dont think u will be able to explain any of this stuff in a text or email form like this i will need a phone call and your tech support guys cannot give any of this information they keep having to write emails to u the engineers and ya know what i ask another question after they help with the first one then they just need to send another email i would really like to have an engineer contact me because this is not a small problem and its not easily fixed and i do need help....i come from the professional audio side and this stuff is nuthing like it so diagnosing car audio DSP's is sumthin new for me and probably the entire 12v industry.

The aux in is single ended. This means you are createing a giat ground loop from Aux Source --> 3Sixty --> Amp. This happens because each of the devices has its own ground point. You can either ground everything at the same point or use a ground loop isolator on the 3Sixty Aux input.

The only points i have grounds is the 3 sixty where i have it tied to chasis near the radio and the the aux source which is a dvd player is grounded to the same seatbelt ground with 2 gauge wire and a distribution farad cap so the highs amp sub amp dvd player and farad cap are all grounded to this one location

Try this for me, listen to your system in NORMAL mode. While the system is playing, UNPLUG the 3Sixty controller. You will notice your subwoofer now. In aux mode, the sub output is max and the knob controls the master volume. In normal mode you have iut set to Sub level so if it is not at its MAX position, it will attenuate the output.

Didnt understand this part. I would love it if the controller could control sub output in normal mode and have it control master volume in aux mode are u syaing it can do this? Sub level at max in aux mode is fine by me i will install another controller for my sub amp if need be...

You need to ground EVERYTHING at the same point so they all have the same reference. You already have 1 wire coming into the GND terminal on the 3Sixty power connector. Add a wire coming out and touch it to the RCA shield on the OUTPUT. Does the noise go away?

Add a wire coming out of what an attached to what? you mean attach a wire at the ground point of the power connector and touch it to the rca shield output of the 3sixty? should i do all this while the rca connector is still plugged in so basically have that ground touch the shield of the rca cable thats going out to the amps...?

There are several issues with your installation, more (as you pointed out) than can be answered in this forum. Please contact our customer service department or your local authorized Rockford Fosgate dealer for detailed assistance. I assure you that your issues are not related to the hardware itself, rather their installation. I am confident you will be able to achieve the desired results with the products you have once configured properly. Thank you for your interest in Rockford products.

There are several issues with your installation, more (as you pointed out) than can be answered in this forum. Please contact our customer service department or your local authorized Rockford Fosgate dealer for detailed assistance. I assure you that your issues are not related to the hardware itself, rather their installation. I am confident you will be able to achieve the desired results with the products you have once configured properly. Thank you for your interest in Rockford products.

Rockfords customer service sux! I have tried that route and it just sux! They are only open mon-fri 8-5 which only gives me a 2 hour window to work on my car after work and we all know thats not enough time to start on anything. I have called them before and they give me the run around o i gotta ask someone else or o let me call u back or o i dont have that version of the 3sixty in front of me! and no authorized dealer in the world would help you with your problems without charging you money. The installation there is no problems because its done by the book. If i have to run wire from RCA's to grounds thats not a typical installation and i have never had to do that with any car audio products ever before.....I am pretty disappointed in this whole situation and i wish someone at rockford had the time and competancy to help!

Archived