LegacyGT.com

Well, My Brakelines are in from Mastro!

RobY

Thank Guys, You kinda shocked me when I ordered this past weekend and I recieved a package Tuesday! Quick is an understatement. What did you guys express mail it to me :D I will install these when I switch out my tires for winter tires. Are there any problems doing these one by one. (ie) Jack corner up, Remove tire, remove brake line, install line, bleed corner, reinstall tire. If I recall the bleed pattern it is: Pass Front, Drivers Rear, Drivers Front, Passenger Rear. Correct? Are there any potential problems that could arise from this method of install.

As for the order, I don't know what Subaru recommends in the manual, but I've always done it this way... from farthest away from the master cylinder to closest. So if the master cylinder is on the driver's side, then you do passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, driver's front in that order. IMHO...

• 2 months later...
[quote name='RobY']Thank Guys, You kinda shocked me when I ordered this past weekend and I recieved a package Tuesday! Quick is an understatement. What did you guys express mail it to me :D I will install these when I switch out my tires for winter tires. Are there any problems doing these one by one. (ie) Jack corner up, Remove tire, remove brake line, install line, bleed corner, reinstall tire. If I recall the bleed pattern it is: Pass Front, Drivers Rear, Drivers Front, Passenger Rear. Correct? Are there any potential problems that could arise from this method of install.[/QUOTE][color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman]Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I find myself in your shoes now, I have just received the new brake lines, and from what I can imagine and gather from this thread. The install is as simple as replacing the old lines with the new ones. However were there any problems you encountered during your installation? Also, how do you like the way your car brakes now? Thanks for your input.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='typeSpeed'][color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman]Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I find myself in your shoes now, I have just received the new brake lines, and from what I can imagine and gather from this thread. The install is as simple as replacing the old lines with the new ones. However were there any problems you encountered during your installation? Also, how do you like the way your car brakes now? Thanks for your input.[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE] Only problems were getting the OEM lines loose! :lol: Of course mine was a 1st allocation car and other have said that the newer lines are not as tight. Pedal feel is much, much improved!

[quote name='LandShark']great to hear the pedal feel is better. my lines also arrived in about 2-3 days after order. waiting on all my other goodies (PERRIN - need those damn sway bars!) and will install these new brake lines then.[/QUOTE] :offtopic: [font='Times New Roman'][font=Verdana][size=2]Are you planning to put all of your toys on at one time?[/size][/font] [/font]

I tried searching for an install guide online, but no luck. I'm sure it is a straight forward install but we are talking about brakes here. Not exactly something I want to get wrong the first time and find out too late. Is there anywhere online with pics/instructions for this install?

[quote name='typeSpeed']I tried searching for an install guide online, but no luck. I'm sure it is a straight forward install but we are talking about brakes here. Not exactly something I want to get wrong the first time and find out too late. Is there anywhere online with pics/instructions for this install?[/QUOTE] First, be sure you have a [b]10mm flare-nut line wrench![/b] Otherwise you'll likely strip the soft brass line nuts. Then read this: [url=http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/BrakeLines.pdf]Brake Line .pdf[/url]

[quote name='rclark0032']:offtopic: [font=Times New Roman][font=Verdana][size=2]Are you planning to put all of your toys on at one time?[/size][/font] [/font][/QUOTE] Yep. my list is getting pretty darn long. won't bother repeating it here. suffice to say that around Valentine's Day, my "true love" will be a whole lot more lovely. I will do a complete post with pics, maybe sound clips (if i figure out how), plots from the before & after dyno runs, etc. can't wait! LGT, won't you be my valentine!?:p

• 2 weeks later...
Well I finally bit the bullet and installed the Goodridge brake lines. Getting those OEM lines loose were a bit*h, and I ended up using vise-grip to clamp down on those butter-soft brass line nuts, otherwise they would have been stripped. After all this hard work it was well worth the install, brakes feel 30% if not more stronger. I did not purchase any special brake fluid just using the OEM stuff for now, but will upgrade that later. She's almost ready for track/SCCA days :)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='jim1969']Any other reviews? Mine are going on in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE] Not a review but a brake bleeding sequence and torque number for the bleeder valves from the tech manual: [font=Helvetica][size=3][/size][/font] [size=2]"Perform the operation in order from the closest wheel cylinder to the master cylinder. Tighten the air bleeder screws securely. [/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2][b]Tightening torque: 8 N[/b]⋅[b][size=3][size=2]m (0.8 kgf-m, 5.8 ft-lb)[/size][/size][/b][/size] [size=2][b][size=3][size=2][/size][/size][/b][/size] [size=2][size=3][size=2]SBT[/size] [/size][/size]
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[font=Times New Roman][color=black][font=Times New Roman][/font][/color][color=black][color=black][font=Arial][size=3]Jim1969, after attending my first auto cross event. I can't recall being disappointed once with the feel or response to braking. The stopping power is now much more noticeable when it is demanded to be, and the delayed or spongy feeling is now gone. I expect with new brake pads and fluid their will be an even superior feeling. ... meaning start looking to mod else where :)[/size][/font][/color] [/color][/font]

Firmer pedal and improved modulation are what you can typically expect. Stainless lines are a feel mod that don't improve braking performance per se, unless you count feel as a component of overall braking performance, which is valid, IMHO. Better feel means better control means better modulation means more controlled braking, which "improves" braking performance. But no, you won't install the stainless lines and think "Boy, what a disaster those stock lines were!" :lol: Kevin

Archived