LegacyGT.com

Stg II modded car - are headers worth the gain?

edkwon

Lets say i have a stg II modded car with aftermarket turboback exhaust, catless uppipe and ECU retune and get pretty good gains in power, are aftermarket headers really worth it in terms of power gains, noise and heat efficiency if i am just doing daily driving and no dedicated track work?

Ed

It is all preference. I plan on putting headers on my car, but it is not at the top of the list. It also makes a difference on the design of the headers. Some only show gains on top end and lose power on the bottom. Others will show improvement across the board. Also with equal length you change the sound of the car. Groupe S, and GT Spec are not supposed to be as bad.

team23jordan and shralp both got tuned by PDX. Here are their dyno plots (I borrowed from their threads). Same tuner and same dyno.

team23jordan has a full turboback plus coated MR headers with integrated up.

shralp almost has a full turboback but he has the stock mufflers (Perrin mid and Y-pipe) and a perrin uppipe instead of headers.

You can see that the power range below 4000 rpm is almost identical. However, team23jordan has a tiny bit better spool. The big differences are only in the top end. However, it is unclear whether or not the power gain in the top end is from the mufflers or headers.

team23jordan's plot

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/openandclosed-trimmed.jpg

shralp's plot

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/dyno20plot3.jpg

In this thread here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42588&highlight=catback+dyno

Boostjunkie showed approximately 10 to 15 hp gain between the stock catback and MR CBE in the top end. Granted that's a completely different setup so it's not a fair comparison but gives an idea of the benefit of the mufflers.

I've also seen the header comparison on NASIOC which showed very little gain for just headers alone.

it appears that headers plus full turboback gives a sizeable increase in topend power.

Lets say i have a stg II modded car with aftermarket turboback exhaust, catless uppipe and ECU retune and get pretty good gains in power, are aftermarket headers really worth it in terms of power gains, noise and heat efficiency if i am just doing daily driving and no dedicated track work?

Ed

I guess it really depends if the headers are equal length or not. Perrin's claim +20/20 at 3K, which doesn't seem like the top end to me. I have a set arriving on tuesday. It gives me a chance to see if the leak I am hearing after my uppipe install is on that side of the turbo!:)

After installing that, its just a CAI and trip down to Portland for a tune/dyno.

Im not that concerned with maxing out top end numbers for biggest e-penis bragging rights, i want minimum sacrifice to low end torque and power.

Ed

then P&P the OEM cast iron elbows and add a better crosspipe (like the kit PL-Tek sells). I found that with the addition of GTSpec headers (now on PhilT's car) and an updated e-tune (TDC STGII to STGII+), there was better low-end spool and power up top didn't fall off as quickly. No downsides, except I had to ditch my SSI skidplate.

then P&P the OEM cast iron elbows and add a better crosspipe (like the kit PL-Tek sells). I found that with the addition of GTSpec headers (now on PhilT's car) and an updated e-tune (TDC STGII to STGII+), there was better low-end spool and power up top didn't fall off as quickly. No downsides, except I had to ditch my SSI skidplate.

The skidplate doesn't fit with the headers ? Dang, that was going to be my next mod in the Spring :icon_mad:

The MR headers will burn the stock undertray. A local member has a coated one and it burned his tray.

You can coat it and then put a thermal blanket between the tray and where it contacts (near the oil filler door). If you ask boostjunkie, he'll tell you where it makes contact.

Send them to Crucial Racing. I highly recommend them. They have the best customer service. It takes time, but for me, well worth the wait.

Archived