LegacyGT.com

So it's cold and wet. Wheelspin anyone?

Am I the only one who has no problems getting wheelspin? I don't just mean a little. It's not just on launch either, i.e. engage clutch at 1500, wheelspin with clutch fully engaged between ~3000 and 5000 rpm, in a straight line. WOT from a stop (no launch) into a turn is more like a RWD car, rear LSD seems to kick in much quicker than the center, doing a nice fishtail. A wet onramp feels more like black ice (keeping in mind I'm probably doing a speed where most cars would be wrapped around a tree) Even in the dry, negatively banked 110 degree turn, I can spin the inside front tire through most of first, some of second (How much spin does the center LSD need?) Some of my friends with impreza's give me strange stares when I tell them about wheelspin :) I'm kinda apprehensive of winter now. Does anybody do autocrosses on packed snow? :p

The GT certainly has enough power to generate wheelspin. The other thing is, dependent upon where you live, it's getting cold enough where Z-rated rubber will start to lose some of its pliability, which will also make it easier to spin the tires. My WRX wagon could break the wheels loose in the rain, but it took a rather injudicious application of the throttle, if ya know what I mean. :D Kevin

Get stickier tires ;) Or Winter.. btw, RE92s are fine in the snow.. they do better in the snow than on the dry or wet. If you get a dedicated snow tire, you'll notice a big difference than an all-season tire. The GT can make a bit of some power.. but remember, you are the driver, so you gotta modulate the throttle more carefully. Keefe
Keefe

I find that I can get wheel spin easier if the front end is out of alignment or if the tire pressure is lower than usual. Also, given either of the above two conditions, can make the inside front tire break loose on the negative banked turns. If the car is out of alignment, you may notice that ithe steering seems to react faster (quirk right or left) if you hit standing water on the right or left side. We're finally getting a lot of rain in SoCal and the Forester was doing this more often that I liked, so took it to get realigned this morning and problem is gone. Leads me to believe that having the wheels tracking together reduces tendency toward "spin" in less than dry conditions. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Deer Killer']......Even in the dry, negatively banked 110 degree turn, I can spin the inside front tire through most of first, some of second (How much spin does the center LSD need?)....... :p[/QUOTE] Seeing as how the Legacy has an open front differential, this is not surprising.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Try 225's. They help a little. Although yesterday I did two very nice 4 wheel drifts that made me wish someone had been taping them!

[quote name='jedimaster']Try 225's. They help a little. Although yesterday I did two very nice 4 wheel drifts that made me wish someone had been taping them![/QUOTE] Hey, quit making me sorry I didn't get that black XT! :D Kevin

umm... do you really need to do WOT from a full stop? I save myself from wheelspin (and some gas) by slowly putting on the throttle. Never above 3k (while getting warmed up) and I have found the 'sweet spot' in the throttle where it holds it @ 3k while accelerating.. I get up to speed very quickly... so spin.. and my average MPG is going up. Watch that lead foot! I have also been driving around just fine .. no spinouts.. while taking corners pretty tight.. all on stock tires. Granted only 1000 miles on them so far... Driving style maybe ? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Deer Killer']I would have bought a 2.5i if I didn't.. What a silly question.[/QUOTE] how so? You post that you are putting pedal to the metal every time you accelerate... and you wonder why your wheels are spinning on wet pavement.. Am I missing something ?

[quote name='RoundBoy']how so? You post that you are putting pedal to the metal every time you accelerate... and you wonder why your wheels are spinning on wet pavement.. Am I missing something ?[/QUOTE] Thought AWD should have more traction/kinda awed by how much torque there is.

I've had a lot of AWD cars before, all running low 13s or quicker, and this is the first one I've had wheelspin issues with at the track. It may happen on the street too but I've never noticed it. I haven't really been hammering it in turns, and if the tires spin in the wet I can't hear 'em inside the car anyway.

What else do you expect from RE-92's. Their is a reason everyone complains about them. But if you learn how to use them, wheelspin can be fun, or more likely, drifting in the wet can be fun. It was wet and cold on the way to work this morning, I had some nice sideways driving going on when making my turns on my way to work. It really wakes you up in the morning and puts a big smile on your face. Of course it all comes down to throttle modulation and knowing how far the car will slide, or you might end up on the sidewalk. Be careful, enjoy the bad tires when you can, because I know I will be going to summer tires next spring, and they will be a little harder to get going sideways on a stock legacy.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I just thought of that- I'm not on my RE92's until the winter- they will be awful! There's no WOT needed to make the car dance either. A wet road and 250 of torque which is available low is plenty. My Toyo's hold up fairly well, but I'm really not looking forward to putting those stockers back on.

Not getting hardly any spin but this does depend on the conditions, weather, wear patterns etc. My tyres are now slowly staring to go off again which is a sign I need a set of new boots soon. I can stand tyre noise when sliding, it just looks and sounds ugly.

Update: when leaving teh university yesterday, I gave it some throttle and made a left onto a street and my rear end swung right out. :eek: Appearently it was slick when I was sitting so when I took off I went sideways! Needless to say it kinda scared oncoming traffic, but it was well mannered and controlable, just unexpected. :lol:

heh, from my drifting experience and autox years on the WRX here are some key notes when the rear end steps out on you or WHY the rear end would come loose on you: A) when you are going around a turn and you lift off the throttle (aka "lift-throttle steering") the rear end will sense engine braking and thus the center diff will send some torque to the rear, causing the tires in the rear to spin just a bit more.. so your car will go into a drift. B) braking in mid-corner can also induce oversteer.. it's the same as "A" above. To fix the problem: 1) Countersteer is a must.. and you have to anticipate it (aka "driving from the seat of your pants"). The amount of countersteering is based on how severe of the rate the back end is coming out on you. 2) dont lift off the throttle anymore, cuz you will make it worse (unless your speed is slow enough that you can apply the brakes firmly and smoothly to get the car to a complete stop in the allowed area or intended direction of travel).. balance the gas so that you are getting the front end to still grip. The key is that you are trying to balance the car out and keeping the rear end in. Your throttle input and steering input must me smooth and accurate. No stabbing and blipping of the throttle, it will only upset the car more. IN AN AUTOX SITUATION: ADD GAS TO PUPOSELY PUT THE CAR BACK INTO AN UNDERSTEER SITUATION.. IT IS A TRICKY AND SCARY THING TO FEEL FOR THE FIRST TIME AND TO TRUST THE CAR THAT IT WILL EVENTUALLY GRIP. SO DONT DRIVE FAST ON THE PUBLIC ROADS, PLEASE. 3) I encourage you guys to goto more motorsports events to improve driver/car control. It's the safer way to learn how to manage your car in situations.. remember, autocrossing goes on even if it rains.. and if it does, then it's only better for you to learn in. 4) Keep the speeds slow and you will avoid the back end from coming out on you. Cars today with soo much technology and power cannot make up for driver skill.. the car is still nothing but a standing heap of 4000 lbs of steel, rubber and plastic.. the driver is what makes it all happen. Keefe
Keefe

[url]http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/2003/ice-racing.asp[/url] "Ice Races are designed to be safe, low-pressure events in which all participants have fun! The primary goal of Ice Racing is to develop drivers who can successfully control their vehicles in adverse driving conditions with consistency." "park on the lake and walk across the street to the Lodge." Run in one of these, and you will improve when it comes to wheelspin. Trust me! -B

[quote name='Th3Franz']This being my first AWD car, what's the best way to react when that happens? I assume you'd counter steer a little bit and ease up on the throttle a little bit but keep on the throttle to straighten the car out right?[/QUOTE] Don't brake! I counter steered a bit (mostly out of RWD habit) and gave some gas to straighten it back out. Smoothness is teh key.

Very true DM re the counter steer. AWD wont snap back as violently as a RWD but it looks and feels a lot better if you can steer out of it, feather the throttle and drive out of the drift. If you suddenly drop power or brake, AWD has a tendency to drive straight on in the direction the fronts are pointing and if DM did this, it would have been a head on for sure. Adam.

[quote name='jedimaster']With AWD, taking your foot off the gas in a slide is bad.[/QUOTE] hey. are you running T1-S tires and where the heck are you? only thing that i can think of is the summer/hi-po compound not really happy in the cold temperatures. haven't gotten any spin at all unless i try really, really hard to do so.

Archived