LegacyGT.com

GReddy Airinx Intake adapted and installed!!! *pics*

urs1ne

So I had this intake for a WRX laying around the shop and I decided to figure out a way to install it instead of letting it go to waste. After some custom brackets and high temp black paint I now have a custom GReddy intake for my LGT. I had a drop in filter and noticed zero differance so I thought I would take it to the next step. Well I still notice no differance in speed or performance but it makes an awesome sound under WOT (wide open throttle) and my turbo makes noises now!!! Not the bad kind but the good kind, you can hear it spool and blow off (almost too loud) with every thing else stock. Aside from my short shifter this is the most fun mod, just because it gives you all the cool sound effects from a BOV but my car never almost stalls, it actually runs fantastic, not to mention it matches all the OEM stuff under my hood. I will post some vids this week so you can hear how awesome it sounds, this is by far the most suprising and exciting mod I have done yet, I just cant wait to drive my car!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/DSCN2102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/DSCN2101.jpg

^ n00bs below this line

I'd datalog that sucker ASAP - hope you've got a wideband, too.

I'm with brothers DK and Boostjunkie on this one.....it concerns me, greatly.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Everyone always talks about how awesome the ECU is and how it learn so quickly, if its smart enough to compensate its tune for something as major as an S-AFC why wouldnt it be able to compensate for better air flow?

I only deal with euros and exotics so this is all new to me, and I cant tune my car or anything because its a MY07' so I dunno?

^ n00bs below this line

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's running richer than stock, which is perfectly safe (within reason)...

^ It's that last part I'm worried about. :) But even with my worry, I'd have to put a qualifier on it in that I guess what's worrisome really isn't too, too bad - just the condition of the cats and/or O2 sensors, and maybe the plugs?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just still dont see how its much differant from the SPT one sold by Subaru

http://www.subaru.com/microsites/spt/popup.sptaction?section=parts&id=SOA8431010

Are you saying that if I get a tube thats bent and a K&N air filter it will have differant results than what I'm using now?

^ n00bs below this line

I just still dont see how its much differant from the SPT one sold by Subaru

http://www.subaru.com/microsites/spt/popup.sptaction?section=parts&id=SOA8431010

Are you saying that if I get a tube thats bent and a K&N air filter it will have differant results than what I'm using now?

No what we are saying is that the tube that the MAF is mounted in is smaller than stock, effectively fooling the sensor into thinking that more air is flowing past it than there actually is. This makes the ECU add more fuel than needed and results in a richer than desired air-fuel ratio. Given that the car runs richer than optimal from the factory, you have just made that worse.

A lot of intakes are like that (short). Not good, but not uncommon. The scaling would definitely be very non-linear but not impossible to tune.

Personally, I would go with the AEM.

BTW, the 2007 stock ECU seems to keep the engine in closed loop up untill about 3800 rpm even at WOT. On my 2005, at WOT, the ECU immediately drops into open loop regardless of rpm. So, for everyday putzing around, he's probably okay. Still not sure why he installed it...

Archived