LegacyGT.com

GReddy Airinx Intake adapted and installed!!! *pics*

urs1ne

^^ Because it seemed like a good idea at the time! He had the part laying around and you gotta admit: it looks pretty damn cool! So, urs1ne: nice job with the install!!

But yeah, you probably ought to consider what the guys here are saying: they know what they are speaking about! As the others have said, the MAF sensor calculates the velocity (speed) of the air moving past the sensor. To calculate the total amount of air entering the engine, the ECU has to multiply that speed value by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. The ECU uses the diameter of the OEM pipe to make that calculation. The ECU has no way of knowing that your intake pipe is smaller than the OEM pipe, so it cannot 'learn' to adjust for this. The ECU thinks that more air is entering the engine than is actually entering, so it adds more fuel than what is needed for the actual amount of air.

Does it look great? Yes!

Is it safe? Quite possibly. Running 'rich' way safer than running lean (which would happen if the aftermarket pipe was bigger than stock.) Fuel economy will be lower.

Is it faster? Definitely not, but the difference might not be noticeable. Or even if it is, it might be so little difference that - for you - it's an acceptable trade-off for the sound + being the only person out there running the yellow mushroom on an LGT! That's the trade-off; it's up to you to decide what you want to do with your own car.

As for the non-laminer flow, if you are experience that you should notice that the car runs a little *funny* at times, in and out of power. This would be a more dangerous condition than running rich all the time. With the short pipe there's a chance of turbulence in the airflow at the MAF sensor location. That turbulence *could* mean that at the sensor location, the airspeed measures lower than what speed it's doing in the rest of the tube, and this would mean the ECU thinks there's less air entering than there actually is. This would cause a dangerous lean condition. So if you notice any strange power surges or cuts then you'll definitely want to take the intake off. At least until such time as you can get a tune for the '07 models.

Hope that helps you make an informed decision.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

A lot of intakes are like that (short). Not good, but not uncommon. The scaling would definitely be very non-linear but not impossible to tune.

^ Definitely not impossible, but I can guaranty that it'll give your tuner, as well as the poor soul driving your car on the dyno, a raging headache both! :lol:

Trust me....Tim Bailey of PDXTuning jumped out of my car saying "man, that was a *bitch!*" and my friend, the driver, got a raging headache from which he'd had to bail-out on driving the next ride. :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived