LegacyGT.com

Cylinder 4 misfire

RacerX100

*Discalimer: I am not at all mechanical. * But I hope to learn more through this site and other resources...

Anyway, I took my 05 Legacy Limited by Auto Zone today after the Check Engine light came on. "Cylinder 4 misfire." So, that could be the spark plug (hopefully) but it could also be the coil, or even the fuel injector, right?

I have the extended 60K warranty on my car and I am currently at 36.5K miles. Are all 3 of these problems covered under the warranty?

One more thing. I have never owned a 4cyl Turbo before. But it has always felt a little twitchy or jumpy at times during acceleration if that makes sense. Not a smooth feel. I just assumed that was the way the car was tuned. Hopefully, this doesn't mean one of the more expensive scenarios is more likely for my engine light being on but any insight would be appreciated.

If anyone could direct me to a walk-through on how to check the spark plugs and even the coils....

I looked for the spark plugs under the hood and I'm guessing they are under the engine cover?

Take it in to the dealer, and hopefully you didn't have the code reset. It could be as simple as a bad coil-pack, but it could be a fuel injector. Both should be covered under your warranty. FYI, I have had 3 fuel injectors go bad .. buts its been a while since that happened :)

The check engine light is not on after leaving Auto Zone. I don't know if that means the code was reset though? Thank for the reply. I guess I'll take it up there in the morning.

BTW - can you comment on this?

"One more thing. I have never owned a 4cyl Turbo before. But it has always felt a little twitchy or jumpy at times during acceleration if that makes sense. Not a smooth feel. I just assumed that was the way the car was tuned."

Well with my dealer, since autozone reset the check engine light, they couldn't do anything since the car wasn't "Throwing a code" ... so I had to wait for it to come back on. heh. they might treat you differently though. The surging thing you are describing, I believe its a common thing with our cars .. now if its started to happen recently, it could be due to the injector.

Well with my dealer, since autozone reset the check engine light, they couldn't do anything since the car wasn't "Throwing a code" ... so I had to wait for it to come back on. heh. they might treat you differently though. The surging thing you are describing, I believe its a common thing with our cars .. now if its started to happen recently, it could be due to the injector.

this happened to me at least a dozen times. took the dealership that many times to figure out they needed to replace the injector. more than likely, they'll need to replace the injector and plug.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

It was the fuel injector btw... They said that there was a technical note to swap the injectors and that would fix the problem. We will see - so far it seems fine and it was covered under warranty. My mechanic also mentioned a "technical note" on the ECU chip for my model so they ordered me that part as well.

There is a $100 deductable for the ECU chip I have to meet. Does that sound right? I thought this was an issue SOA was aware of and were offering a free fix.

Take it to the dealer, tell them, they'll know it's the injector. I just had my cylinder 4 injector replaced with no problem after mine threw a CEL. And for the love of God, don't pay $100 for a warranty part. Tell them to get it from SOA, you're under warranty.

Get the fuel injector replaced. Now.

Summer 05 we had a CEL, engine misfire. Okay, the dealer reset it and told us to bring it back right away if it came back on. It was brutally hot that day (over 100, and the car had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours) so we were wondering if that might have had something to do with it.

Fast forward to Summer 06. I'm 50 miles from home and the CEL comes on. I drive (slowly) home, take it to the dealer. Misfire again, but this time they check the fuel injector. Swapped the #2 and #4 injectors, and when they tested them, the #4 failed. Son of a (*#$#. And they were on backorder!! Surprise, surprise. It got replaced eventually, and they tried to blame it on bad gas or something, but come *on*... if the part is on national backorder i can't be the only person w/ the problem. I'm just glad it didn't happen during our 1100 mile trip to atlanta.

So anyway, get it replaced before it fails. Seriously.

They did swap my injectors as well (this was according to SOA's instructions) and I haven't had a problem since. I hope this isn't a patch fix though. They are replacing the ECU chip as we speak. I have no intentions of paying for a warranty part and hopefully it won't be an issue...this is why I got the extended coverage!

Archived