LegacyGT.com

windshield: to tint or not to tint

str8dwn

Just bought one of the last LGT Wagons in the Southeast. Time to start mods.

Since this thing is all glass, I was looking at doing 15% LLumar Platinum on all sides, but doing the windshield in 50% to reduce glare and heat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. I figured I'd get a last opinion here. The "no's" def have it here and elsewhere.

[rant] I get so annoyed with the doughnut boys bothering people for tint, car audio or lowering "issues". And the 'it's too dark to see inside' and 'it's dangerous being so low' argument is totally moot.

How about targeting far more dangerous issues like the idiots doing their makeup and reading the paper and chatting on their phones (simultaneuously) in the mornings? How about patrolling neighborhoods more often to spot crimes in progress? [/ rant]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: of course you don't tint the windsheild. Unless you don't wanna see what's in front of you maybe. I prefer to be able to see everything in front of me perfectly clear.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

[rant] I get so annoyed with the doughnut boys bothering people for tint, car audio or lowering "issues". And the 'it's too dark to see inside' and 'it's dangerous being so low' argument is totally moot.

how is it moot? when pesky kids come through my neighborhood at 3am blasting that damn rap music....BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.....they should be arrested and thrown in a cell with Bubba. And stay out of my yard you damn kids!!

just kidding...I'm a basshead too!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: of course you don't tint the windsheild. Unless you don't wanna see what's in front of you maybe. I prefer to be able to see everything in front of me perfectly clear.

there is clear and colored tint that's for UV and old people.

thought maybe I'd get one of those big plastic things that clip to my visor so I can see better.

http://www.fahlenterprises.com/images/visor.jpg:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Just invest in a proper pair of sunglasses.

Tint is necessary especially on the sides but for the front - almost never. If the sun is directly in front of you, you just lower the visor and wear sun glasses. That solves the problem 95% of the time unless you have some eye hypersensitivity to sunlight - in which case you probably should be indoors and not driving regardless of the tint.

thought maybe I'd get one of those big plastic things that clip to my visor so I can see better.

http://www.fahlenterprises.com/images/visor.jpg:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

just to clarify.......this is a joke. I'm not a toolbag:icon_mrgr

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

ummm, clear tint ?:rolleyes::lol: I know what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure this guy wants actual tint on his windsheild.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I have 17% on the sides/rear with a dark strip on the top of the windshield, and I think 50% on the rest of the windshield. I got pulled over in Georgia and got a ticket for the tint being to dark, but he never even mentioned the windshield. That ticket was dropped since I dont even live in that state, I was just driving through from Florida. I have my windows tinted this way b.c I have very sensitive eyes and I get migranes driving at night and in bright sun without it .Anyways here are some pics.

http://amykdean.com/albums/Legacy-Pics-06/fogs_2.sized.jpg

http://amykdean.com/albums/album08/scsu1.sized.jpg

For comparison, the xB has factory tint in the back, no tint in the front doors or windshield.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I should clarify so I'm not called a tint hater. I have 20% on all windows except of course the windsheild.

i went 35% on sides and rear window. i like the rbp and tint, but i wouldn't recommend any on the windshield. in va, anything on the windshield is a no-no unless it's factory.....

my understanding was that in VA it is ok to tint the windshield, but only above the 'AS1' line (if there even is one on the factory glass). I had 28% Llumar Formula One on my CRX and my Wrangler, even on the windshields and both passed safety inspections (my Wrangler had factory tinted glass on the hardtop, so I can understand it passing since it matches).

I know there were some changes to the laws recently, but I thought that was more about fines on the tint shop.

damn got flamed like a mofo here. Maybe I posted in the senior citizen section?

:hide:

:lol: :lol:

ok ok, sorry dude. It's just that tinting the windsheil dark is a really really bad idea. It's got nothin to do with cops or whatever. It's just a safety issue. I'll be honest. My 20% tinted around the rest of the windows is sometimes too dark to see at night if there are no streetlights. I know you're talkin about 50% on the windsheild & I agree it would look cool but it's really not a good idea man.

Archived