LegacyGT.com

Finally took a test drive

warrior325

So I went to the dealer tonight and test drove a 2006 LGT 5MT demo with 5k miles on it. I'll tell you guys right away that I wasn't gunning it cuz well i'm not that good with stick yet. Was taking it easy, don't think I really pushed it past 4k RPMs at any point... but it definately had the power when needed.

First thoughts... the car is very comfortable, smooth shifting, quiet on the road no matter how fast we went (didn't go past 70) and the power is always there, but I really expected more kick. After some highway driving I pulled over and let the salesman drive back, but this was a young guy no older than maybe 25 and I told him... show me how this car should be driven. This guy just took off, pinned me to the seat and before I knew it he was going 80. I was really impressed with the power and the way it handled. He was passing cars left and right and the car stayed right on track... didn't feel it swaying or anything.

Here's one thing that bothered me about it though, I really expected to feel more power, or at least be pinned to the seats more. I feel like I get pinned to the seat harder in my friends stock RX8 and this car is faster than that car. But i'm not going to complain cuz well it's plenty of power for anyone, no matter how you look at it.

Overall I was VERY impressed with the vehicle. I'm still going to test drive the Mazdaspeed6 before I make any decisions, but I have a feeling i'll be owning a LGT very soon.

Mash the gas pedal at 3500rpm at any gear and you will feel a rush of power.

I test drove the Mazda3 before buying the LGT. Really fun and sporty car, but I really wanted AWD.

Also, be aware the MazdaSpeed6 is FWD unless the tires loose grip, then transfering a little power to the rear wheels....not a true AWD system.. and in my biased book should be stayed away from.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

the lgt is much more refined then a rx8 so you dont realize how much power or how fast you are going half the time. the rate at which the speedo jumps is definitely not proportional to how much you feel the power in this car.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Gearing on the rx8 might have also played a part, that and i'd be willing to guess the springs are softer on the legacy(compared to the weight) and so maybe that absorbed throws me to the back of seat feeling.

Funny you should mention the RX8. I test drove one right before I test drove the LGT. After a furious frenzy of acceleration, running it up to redline in 1-2-3 and shifting to 4th, I looked down at the speedo and saw.... 70 mph :lol: Not exactly inspiring stuff. Went back to the dealer, hopped in an LGT and smoothly merged back on the freeway. Looked down at the speedo and I doing 95 mph without even knowing it :) Couple of turns later I knew it was the car for me.

Unfortunately with you shifting @ 4K the turbo was just hitting it's powerband. With the car being stock you could have shifted @ 5500 & you would have been even more impressed;)

As far a the MS6 goes make sure you drive in traffic the MS6 still is having issues with severe heat soak which in turn results in drastic HP loss....

There are some REALLY great deals out there though on the MS6 you can get leftover 06's with nav for 22-23k

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

the lgt is much more refined then a rx8 so you dont realize how much power or how fast you are going half the time. the rate at which the speedo jumps is definitely not proportional to how much you feel the power in this car.

I just got a ticket doing 81 in a 50 last week. I wasnt even *thinking* of speeding, just listening to Reggae with the sunroof open.

If you arent accelerating rapidly, you dont feel the speed in the LGT, it all feels like a slow cruise, even at illegal speeds

The lgt is a very smooth car, but don't be fooled it is quick. I have an automatic and I use cruise control most of the time because you just don't feel the speed. Bottom line, AWD! If you want a sports car buy a rx8 or g35 coupe. The LGT is a sporty car but it is not a sports car. Just my 2cents!

Archived