LegacyGT.com

Legacy - Why Dual Exhaust?

Edgemar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PL-Tek sells a single 3" exhaust for LGT. Nice...probably the proper exhaust for our car. But the single tail-pipe looks odd.

http://www.pltek.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1106_21_25_44&products_id=170

see that just throws off the whole image of the car...i'd feel like the left side of my car is sitting lower than the right..haha..not to mention the empty spot in the bumper

It only looks odd to us because we are used to seeing two exhaust tips at the back of our cars.

If someone were to color match the plastic trim piece and make a good looking cover for the unused cutout, I think it would look pretty nice.

dual exhaust is WAY classier and communicates luxury performance. Angled fartcans are for the ricer crowd...

I just read this entire post. I have to agree about the "fart cans". The Legacy is the supposed FLAGSHIP vehicle for Subaru. Dual mufflers, not exhaust, just looks balanced, and clean!!!

I'm bumping this. So, it seems we have established it's because of looks right? Then why are there twin pipes on the Outback, which are hidden? Same thing with the early 00's Accords witha V6.

On the outback, its likely just for ease of manufacturing.

An example of this is the VW Passat (all hidden tips):

2WD VW Passat

1.8t (single exhaust manifold) -- single exhaust

V6 (dual exhuast manifold) -- single exhaust -- but stays dual until past the cats

AWD VW passat

1.8t -- dual exhaust

V6 -- dual exhaust

Why?

Because the 2wd gas tank was placed to one side of the car, making dual routing impossible.

Meanwhile, the AWD allowed it and orginally the AWD was V6 only, so why not make a true dual?

However, the accord has been show to ahve used duals even after a single pipe simply for sound reasons.

Eh, i guess it could be both sound and look, but i really suspect that the legacy has duals because they liked the look. The OB is just a product of that design.

Personally I hate the dual exhaust trend. It adds weight dammit.

Oh and the worst of these are some of the older Volvo XCs.

Dual exhaust is pointless on a flat four and IMHO looks terrible. That is why I switched to a single exit exhaust.

Good thing that we have a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder then vs. an inline 4 cylinder....

V8s with an X-pipe and dual exhaust seem equally as illogical, but it looks cool...

If I had to guess, Subaru is big on symmetry, marketing that as why their AWD is superior. Not only will dual exhausts help to corner balance the weight of the car (maybe), they'll also be to do an effectively bigger exhaust without the added noise or huge piping.

You'll all love this...:rolleyes:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/SubieChik/123/BiLLiE019.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/SubieChik/123/BiLLiE027.jpg

Single tip, angled, fart can.. On an 06 SpecB, and pay special attention to the rear plate..

:hide:, from nasioc.. See legacy owner gallery..

Because it is Dodge.....the same company that didn't give the SRT-4 rear power windows.

You're kidding?

That's horrible, the most cheap-aass chinzy design I have ever heard of.

Just to save decimals points of profit margin they actually designed manual rear windows?

That alone is enough for me to never want to own another Dodge in my life.

To Americans who grew up with V-8s dual exhaust inferred power. Subaru jumped on the dual exhaust bandwagon after Acura (and others) started putting it on some of their performance sedans. Now even 4-cyl SUVs have it. Some of my friends have duals on their first-generation Miatas.

Personally, I like the look and sound of my stock LGT exhaust.

Now I see posts on this forum that people are putting single exhausts on their LGTs. Whatever it takes to be different or "unique" I guess.

i would have to agree with the statement that americans equate dual exhaust to a performance car. thats why some people love a cheap slow car because the manufacturer slapped a "GT" badge on it and gave it dual exhaust. personally i think that the dual exhaust hurts performance by making the exhaust split at the Y then exit instead of coming straight out. any thoughts?

A single larger exhaust is always better than two smaller ones because of turbulent flow. But I personally am happy with duals. It looks nice, sounds great and keeps the clearance high. Not all care about clearance but that is one selling point on my OBXT.

PL-Tek sells a single 3" exhaust for LGT. Nice...probably the proper exhaust for our car. But the single tail-pipe looks odd.

http://www.pltek.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1106_21_25_44&products_id=170

That'd look way better with a different tip (probably dual slant cut tips and a painted can.

And it wouldn't really be too hard to get some fiberglass filled in and re-spray just the bare plastic area flat black.

If I had the $...I would buy the single CBE...buy 2 nice SS tips. Put 1 on the muffler...the other mount on a fake pipe on the other side. Just to look like dual exhaust...and have to performance of 3" single.
KevinH

One larger exhaust flows more than two smaller. No question, while maintaining backpressure. The flow is turbulent on the walls of the exhaust, therefore the larger center area promotes more flow. The is more sidewall on duals thus creating more turbulence. Just a fact, I remember some physics.

Archived