LegacyGT.com

Garmin Nuvi 660 cubby installation

john.di.martino

In the way I did it, the Tom Tom wouldn't have fit. It's fatter in the back than the Garmin. There's not a lot of space in the cubby to work with, which is why I went with the Garmin.

I supposed it may fit if you didn't care about opening the cubby again, but I couldn't guarantee it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I only knew about this when I was building the screen bezel for my carputer.. oh well, it turned out fine anyway...

Might take you up on your offer to print me a plastic case for the carputer itself tho... hmmm... even have some drawings in solidworks already :cool:

Send me a PM, send me the .STL and if it's not a big job we'll do it for you, as long as we can make a couple samples to use at trade shows.

I think someone asked what the back and power plug looked like on a Nuvi. You can use the mini USB on the side, or the cradle it comes with into the back.

nuvi660back.jpg.681df104935dacc4ba83124ad2ffe27e.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Would anyone consider putting the navi on the top of the roof around where the sunroof controls on? I have an 08 and i think it could hang down from the front. I hate sticking it to the window and getting marks.

I bought the adapter and use a bean bag on the dash. I used to use a glue-on mount, but theft of these things is so major I didn't want any evidence showing. Supposedly the pros even look for the ring on your windshield.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 months later...
correct. the 660 has an fm transmitter but if you want the navigation voice to come through the speakers the only music you can listen to is music on an SD memory card. you cant listen to the radio because the station has to be empty obviously. it kinda stinks. i mounted mine in the cubby and put all of the wires behind the dash and you can hear it fine. i use the bluetooth all the time. the fm transmitter has a lot fo static and if you are on the phone people say they can hear themselves.

correct. the 660 has an fm transmitter but if you want the navigation voice to come through the speakers the only music you can listen to is music on an SD memory card. you cant listen to the radio because the station has to be empty obviously. it kinda stinks. i mounted mine in the cubby and put all of the wires behind the dash and you can hear it fine. i use the bluetooth all the time. the fm transmitter has a lot fo static and if you are on the phone people say they can hear themselves.

thx for the response!

• 1 month later...

Not to step on anyone's toes but this thread was about how to mount a TOM TOM One XL not Garmin. The TomTom has two problems.

1) You need to press the power button on the top right side of the device to turn it on, making flush mounting a problem.

2) The power cable connects directly UNDERNEATH the unit.

At this point I have the cubby totally rippred apart and 'am considering shaving the plastic off the back of the info screen that holds that tray of the cubby off to allow the unit to be mounted an inch of two inside the cubby space. This would:

1) Allow the unit to not stick out to thieves.

2) Block the sun preventing glare.

I would have to use a goose neck mount .

I might be able to re add the tray if I do a lot of trim work on it allowing me to possibly use the door (really preventing exposure to would be theves.

Only other option is to move the information bar to the Cigarette lighter position.

Any thoughts?????????

Not to step on anyone's toes but this thread was about how to mount a TOM TOM One XL not Garmin.

It is? With a title such as "Garmin Nuvi 660 cubby installation" I would have thought otherwise. Hmmm.

We also have a Nuvi 360 and although much smaller, I find it to be all I need. It's only a little bit shorter, but comes with the 90 degree mini USB plug. It has an external antenna like the 660 but it appears the 270 does not.

What would people expect to pay for a custom fit bezel?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, the door is still on. The whole thing just slides in and fits snugly in the cubby hole when the door is open. Here are the pics...

LOL - I did the exact same thing with mine exccept instead of using a piece of foam, I used the case and manual that comes with it wedged in the cubby... It held in place on a 10 hour ride back and forth to North Carolina from Pennsylvania... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure which installation you are looking at but I've recently hid my wire.

I plugged the power into center consul and tucked the wire inside the passenger side of the center consul.

The power wire is fished up behind/next to the radio and then into/thru the cubby. This can be done w/o drilling or cutting the cubby.

If you look at the cubby door in the almost fully open position, there is a gap on the inside top of the cubby where you can squeeze the plug thru.

okay, so after squeezing the wire thru, how do I get to it from behind?

ie: How do I remove the vent/cubby area? Do I just pull? Is there a "safe" way of doing this?

i used plastic tools around the edges to kind of ease it out. you could try a flat head with cloth over it or something. it does take some elbow grease so dont be surprised

anyone know where/part# for the door on the cubby or cubby/ vent parts? I have a GPS on the way and I want to do an install. Just want to have extra parts too just in case.

66060AG05A

That's what I found searching around here before. Haven't ordered one so I can't say for sure what all it comes with.

I already broke one of the plastic "tips" of the door where they go into the side of the cubby to swing open and closed, so, I at least will need a new door if I decide the door should be part of the install.

Just curious... howd you break it? ...so I know what Not to do when Im pulling mine apart next week.

Archived