LegacyGT.com

USDM Key nuisance?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I got it!! I found some adhesive rubber bumpers, rectangular in shape, with the same height as the micro-buttons on the circuit board. I used a razor to chop a bumper into several teeny little bumpers, and stuck one on each side of each micro-button on the circuit board (except the panic button, I left that alone). So now, instead of compressing just the micro-button when pushing down, you have to compress the button and two bumpers. It adds significantly more resistance without being hard to push. So I think it will prevent accidental button pushing. Seemed to make a big difference when i played around with it. So whatever the mod, the idea is to add some resistance to the button action. As it is originally, the only spring is in the micro-buttons, and they are not very strong at all. Craig

Craig, Excellent idea! 5 minutes with an exacto knife and it works great! I went with clear "sport" bumpers though, I found their "springiness" to be better suited for a import as opposed to the black "standard" bumpers you used, which obviusly aren't as finely engineered for this application. I bet STi pink ones would work even better :lol: Thanks :D

• 1 month later...
This is the worst designed keyless entry fob I have ever seem. Dont even begin to tell me about my pants being the wrong size or whatever. Dont tell me to redesign /reengineer the FOB. There is nothing wrong with us as owners ITS THE KEY FOB THAT IS A DANGEROUS DESIGN. We need to force a recall persuade Subaru to reissue us new key fobs.

I forgot all about this thread. Anyway, I installed the rubber cabinet door stoppers behind the buttons, and it works great now. Women come from all over to sleep with me because of my new Fob. Okay, maybe not, but at least the the car doesn't beep all the f'in time now.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='franklin']This is the worst designed keyless entry fob I have ever seem. Dont even begin to tell me about my pants being the wrong size or whatever. Dont tell me to redesign /reengineer the FOB. There is nothing wrong with us as owners ITS THE KEY FOB THAT IS A DANGEROUS DESIGN. We need to force a recall persuade Subaru to reissue us new key fobs.[/QUOTE] You're on the right track. I think I'll have my attorney friend send a registered letter to SOA's counsel. The fob IS dangerous: You or your wife can accidently unlock ALL the doors in a crime infested area. Nothing like letting that perp standing at the passenger door in, right? The fob will also unlock the door(s) as you walk away from your car. If you don't hear the beeps (or have them turned off) your car becomes a prime target for burglary or theft. A registered letter will give SOA actual notice of the problem. If they choose to due nothing and an the fob becomes an issue in a theft or rape or ???, the letter will come back to haunt them. I don't know about other states, but California's a strict liability state. That's basically means the jury gets to fix a percentage of the damages on Subaru. Subaru knew of the problem, yet did nothing about it. Wonder what 20 or 30% of a rape or mugging is worth?:eek: I've already written Subaru and spoken with SOA management. I'm sending a registered letter next. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

What agency would we want to contact to try and get a saftey recall ? As STG writes above this is a SAFTEY issue. I dont have any confidence that my car doors or trunk are ever really locked when I walk away or around my car. Who do I contact to get some action. I dont think just contacting SOA will do much.

I'm gonna hold out for the Titianum SRBED made by Cobb. Either that, or urethane "sport" button bumpers, for the ultimate in control and feel, and just deal with button harshness. awdG35killerfact is, the FOB is TOO sensitive. my date last night was wondering why the hell my lights kept blinking. everytime i MOVED my leg, the button got pressed and armed/disarmed the car(my car was parked outside the window at the restaurant we ate at) Uh, are you SURE it was you moving your leg and not your date uh...nevermind.:woowoo:

I have been paranoid about unlocking by accident but like GTguy, I just changed habits by putting the keys in my "special pocket". I want to take a little time to try a new mod and solve this. ( no more than 3 weeks ) If it works , I'm gonna hire Don Lapree to peddle it alongside "The Greatest Vitamin in the World". If it doesn't work, I'll just have to sell my LGT and move back to the country. :rolleyes: - stay tuned

[quote name='area 51'] I want to take a little time to try a new mod and solve this. ( no more than 3 weeks )[/QUOTE] Honestly, the cabinet bumpers did the trick! Tools needed: Xacto knife and cabinet bumpers. That's it.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I found this that might help. I just don’t have the set required to do it. [/size][/font] [size=3][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/size] [font='Times New Roman'][url="http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4398"][u][color=#800080]http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4398[/color][/u][/url][/font]

Archived