LegacyGT.com

USDM Key nuisance?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='STG']GTGuy, We're talking about poor ergonomics and stupid design. No other remote I own or have owned exhibits these traits. Most people place their ignition key and remote into a pocket after parking the car. The key can press against the remote as can any other article one happens to have in one's pocket. The remote can trigger involuntarly, which is disconcerting as the car can be unlocked. The only 100% certain way to avoid the problem is to carry your key with the remote dangling and not put in in a pocket until you are out of range. The designer responsible for this should be fired. Based on the number of complaints posted here as well as those reported to the service masnager at my dealer (he says it's the most populasr complaint) the only conclusion I come to is the remote was never field tested and validated. I can only hope Subaru tested the other parts of my car. Perhaps you don't have this problem 'cuz you wear them baggy hip-hop gansta pants. Word.:lol:[/QUOTE] Well said, i couldn't agree more. Craig

[quote name='STG']GTGuy, We're talking about poor ergonomics and stupid design. No other remote I own or have owned exhibits these traits. Most people place their ignition key and remote into a pocket after parking the car. The key can press against the remote as can any other article one happens to have in one's pocket. The remote can trigger involuntarly, which is disconcerting as the car can be unlocked. The only 100% certain way to avoid the problem is to carry your key with the remote dangling and not put in in a pocket until you are out of range. The designer responsible for this should be fired. Based on the number of complaints posted here as well as those reported to the service masnager at my dealer (he says it's the most populasr complaint) the only conclusion I come to is the remote was never field tested and validated. I can only hope Subaru tested the other parts of my car. Perhaps you don't have this problem 'cuz you wear them baggy hip-hop gansta pants. Word.:lol:[/QUOTE] In fact, I wear Armani, have an excellent tailor, and prefer Puccini to hip-hop, thank you very much for your presumptive concerns. Sometimes, idiocy isn't humor, it's just idiocy, which makes it all the more detestable. Word, indeed. I had the remote thing happen once. I learned from it, and pocket my remote accordingly. I've had it in my pockets with other key sets, checkbooks, spare change, cycling socks, you name it, and the accidental triggering that is such a bugbear hasn't transpired again. And frankly, I don't care who agrees with me. As a matter of fact, the fewer people who agree with me in a case of unfettered whininess such as this one, the better. People come here to whine, whine, whine. We didn't get this, this does this, we didn't get that, JDM this, that or the other. Whine, whine, whine. Leave the remote at home and use the key if it's so offensive, put the key in a separate pocket, pay attention to what you do with the remote, rather than blaming Subaru for everything. People should be fired? You must be kidding me. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']In fact, I wear Armani, have an excellent tailor, and prefer Puccini to hip-hop, thank you very much for your presumptive concerns. Sometimes, idiocy isn't humor, it's just idiocy, which makes it all the more detestable. Word, indeed. I had the remote thing happen once. I learned from it, and pocket my remote accordingly. I've had it in my pockets with other key sets, checkbooks, spare change, cycling socks, you name it, and the accidental triggering that is such a bugbear hasn't transpired again. And frankly, I don't care who agrees with me. As a matter of fact, the fewer people who agree with me in a case of unfettered whininess such as this one, the better. People come here to whine, whine, whine. We didn't get this, this does this, we didn't get that, JDM this, that or the other. Whine, whine, whine. Leave the remote at home and use the key if it's so offensive, put the key in a separate pocket, pay attention to what you do with the remote, rather than blaming Subaru for everything. People should be fired? You must be kidding me. Kevin[/QUOTE] Geez, relax. It's just a forum. No one can hurt you here. I must state to both GTGuy and STG that the amount of money one chooses to spend on clothing says very little about them, their status, or their income (go to any "hip" bar and see for yourself). One's boasting of their clothing, on the other hand, says plenty.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='GoSix']Geez, relax. It's just a forum. No one can hurt you here. I must state to both GTGuy and STG that the amount of money one chooses to spend on clothing says very little about them, their status, or their income (go to any "hip" bar and see for yourself). One's boasting of their clothing, on the other hand, says plenty.[/QUOTE] Just clarifying that as a rather foppish soon to be 43-year-old, I am far, far, FAR from the appalling baggy-trousered look, though certainly, early Armani trousers were exceptionally full-legged, but never hanging low. And as an ex bicycle racer, they happen to be the only off-the-rack pants that fit me. I hear "Geez, relax" a lot, and to be sure, I'm quite relaxed, though a bit cranky at times. gt_ltd, nothing at all is up, except my anticipation for the December trip to Paris, and the Race of Champions. :D Kevin

I have installed a cut down paper clip in my remote and here are my impressions of this "mod". :) I think it does help! The car is MUCH faster now... (Oh wait. forget that!) ;) The problem seems to be that there is very little support for the lock and unlock buttons. The unlock button has the least amount of support. This manifests itself as an actual button press sent by the remote regardless of where the button is pressed. If something presses the outer edge of the unlock section, there's very little resistance to it. The paper clip has given the buttons more resistance. If an edge is pressed now, it pivots against the paper clip and doesn't push the switch inside without quite a bit more force than it used to take. It seems that the buttons require a more centered push to get the signal sent. So, here's the deal. For only $9.95 we'll send you not one, but TWO of these special mechanical wonders! Operators are standing by! (The price is so high because I'm going to have to pay royalties to Dimil!) Call 1-800-SCR-EWME to be the first on your block to get yours! P.S. - I actually bent my paper clip at right angles instead of a half circle. Maybe I don't have to pay royalties!!!

[quote name='gtguy']Just clarifying that as a rather foppish soon to be 43-year-old, I am far, far, FAR from the appalling baggy-trousered look, though certainly, early Armani trousers were exceptionally full-legged, but never hanging low. And as an ex bicycle racer, they happen to be the only off-the-rack pants that fit me. I hear "Geez, relax" a lot, and to be sure, I'm quite relaxed, though a bit cranky at times. gt_ltd, nothing at all is up, except my anticipation for the December trip to Paris, and the Race of Champions. :D Kevin[/QUOTE] That's alright..I'm a rather bitter 27-yr-old who gets annoyed when "mod squad" folk spend their life savings on clothing and vehicles they cannot afford for the sole purpose of what they believe to be impressing their peers. <-- woo, what a run on....While I, however, put all my money away and not worry about impressing people. Oh, and I drive cars that are way too nice (and fast) for what they cost (i.e. GT Ltd :D ). Sorry for being overjudgemental. Fashizzle-dizzle :lol: Okay...back on topic.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='GoSix']That's alright..I'm a rather bitter 27-yr-old who gets annoyed when "mod squad" folk spend their life savings on clothing and vehicles they cannot afford for the sole purpose of what they believe to be impressing their peers. <-- woo, what a run on....While I, however, put all my money away and not worry about impressing people. Oh, and I drive cars that are way too nice (and fast) for what they cost (i.e. GT Ltd :D ). Sorry for being overjudgemental. Fashizzle-dizzle :lol: Okay...back on topic.[/QUOTE] No worries. It's only when you pass the age of 40 that you don't care about impressing anyone, as you have justly-earned cranky points. You get some more cranky points at 45, as the accrual accelerates, the closer to 50 you get. It's like an Irritability IRA. :D And yes, the Legacy GT is an exceptional value, but so are fine things, particularly if you can afford them. One brilliant suit is a better value than five adequate ones. Life's too short for bad clothes and bad cars, IMHO. Indeed and unfortunately, people make judgments all the time, based on absolutely no information or evidence. We don't really know much of anything about anyone here except that when they log on, it's because they're interested in Legacies. Some people are mortgaged to the hilt, others wrote a check for their GTs. Some spend a few weeks in Europe, others can't afford to vacation in the next town. Some wear Zegna, others wear Gap. We don't know any of this, which is why we shouldn't presuppose anything, except the common interest in the Subaru Legacy GT, and base all discussion thereupon. Except when Trent Bates gets rich selling his "paper clip" mod. Then we'll all know about that. Kevin

[quote name='trseeley']According to this thread [url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071[/url] the interior lights can be set to automatically turn off after 30 minutes, which will save your battery. I'm surprised that's not the default setting from the factory.[/QUOTE] I need to clarify here for future readers: I am aware that the trunk light [i]should[/i] turn off after 30 minutes. I don't know off-hand if it actually does by default. My situation was unique in that I was in the middle of a project at the time. I had the center console apart to install the LCD display. I had the driver's door open, but also had a block of wood pressing the door switch so that the car thought the door was closed. I had all the windows rolled down. I had the key in the ignition and I believe that it was off, but it was still in the ignition. Right before going in for dinner, I unlatched the trunk to check on something but never opened and shut the lid. Perhaps the trunk light didn't turn off automatically because the key was still in the ignition, or something along those lines. But I have seen that the trunk light comes on the moment the trunk is unlatched. In the right circumstances, this could be enough to prevent the car from starting on a cold day even if it only burns for 30 minutes. Since the trunk button requires a second or two of pressure and it's recessed a bit, I don't see a big issue here. It's much more of a problem that the doors can be unlocked so easily and from so far away! It sure beats the range of the factory Alpine system in my Wife's '03 Legacy!

Today, SOA told me the '05 Legacy security system OEM supplier is Audiovox. Unfortunately, Audivox has no idea what SOA is talking about! GTGuy, I'm glad you wear Armani and have an excellent tailor. I have Nikon DSLRs with Nikkor f2.8 lenses!

[quote name='STG'] GTGuy, I'm glad you wear Armani and have an excellent tailor. I have Nikon DSLRs with Nikkor f2.8 lenses![/QUOTE] I had a colonoscopy.

[quote name='GoSix']I had a colonoscopy.[/QUOTE] Uh, thanks for sharing. And STG, given your uncertainty that the Legacy has been adequately field tested, like the keyless entry remote, are you sure you don't want to rent a safer car until yours has been checked out? Enjoy the Nikon! You people are funny... Kevin

GTGuy, Thanks for your concern. I'll continue to drive the Legacy and if I encounter some terrible accident caused by a failure on Subaru's part, I leave everything to the courts. I kinda like the sound of STG Heavy Industries, don't you?

[quote name='rao']Well Trent I already owe you a royalty since I installed the SRBED last night :lol: It made a difference, but not all that much. At least the Legacy remote dosen't need to be re-programmed if you take the battery out :)[/QUOTE] I actually made a little extra bends over buttons, it acts as spring a little, that makes it some more supportive. Trent, Thanks for doing the marketing for me and feel free to send me a big fat check :D. With all the royalties I'll be rich :lol:.

Archived