LegacyGT.com

17" vs 18" Rim

Legacy_GT_Pilot

The performance factor IMHO is not significant between 17" and 18" rims. However one thing is true people typically cheap out on 18" tires degrading performance to afford the 18" rims AND the price increase due to larger tire size.

^ They would have to be the heavier 07 offering. As I said, "all things being equal." The fastest published OEM times belong to the 06 Spec.B.

Nope, pretty sure its you, AndyJ, and poor Sponge in his 2.5i

ignore him, he'll go away.

The Impreza is a lighter, smaller car. 17"s on it are probably equivalent to 18"s on a Spec.B.

...wow :lol:. Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the stiffer sidewall of the RE070? Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the rubber formulation of the RE070? Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the breakaway characteristics of the RE070?

Like I said. Tires are more than just size. You're over simplifying it to a very large extreme.

And I wouldn't bother arguing with Vimy, the SpecB is clearly the superior vehicle in his eyes. :rolleyes:

...wow :lol:. Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the stiffer sidewall of the RE070? Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the rubber formulation of the RE070? Does the Impreza's curb weight have anything to do with the breakaway characteristics of the RE070?

Like I said. Tires are more than just size. You're over simplifying it to a very large extreme.

And I wouldn't bother arguing with Vimy, the SpecB is clearly the superior vehicle in his eyes. :rolleyes:

Right. What does weight have to do with anything? Well, everything. You just pw3ed yourself.

You shouldn't bother arguing. And yes, the Spec.B is superior. Faster and better handling than the LGT as per design. Sorry to be so blunt but that was the engineers' intent.:)

Right. What does weight have to do with anything? Well, everything. You just pw3ed yourself.

You shouldn't bother arguing. And yes, the Spec.B is superior. Faster and better handling than the LGT as per design. Sorry to be so blunt but that was the engineers' intent.:)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Curb Weight 3298lbs.

2006 Subaru Legacy GT

Curb Weight 3365lbs.

:lol::lol:

Smaller wheels get larger tires to keep the same overall wheel/tire circumference, so youre right, i dont understand your question.

Ed

I think he means larger tires usually equals less rolling resistance, so the engine doesn't have to spin as fast to maintain the same speed as on a smaller tire?

Anyway, it's kind of moot to get bigger tires for better mpg when you increase the tire width :icon_wink

Smaller wheels get larger tires to keep the same overall wheel/tire circumference, so youre right, i dont understand your question.

Ed

Right, but the circumference is almost never the same. With 18s, you can go to a smaller circumference, or it may be a larger tire circumference.

I had heard that a larger circumference tire will deliver slower acceleration, but better mpg all things being equal (driving style).

Archived