LegacyGT.com

17" vs 18" Rim

Legacy_GT_Pilot

I've decided to move to dedicated summer tires on new rims. I've already chosen lightweight rims (Kosei's) and the tire. I'm still on the fence as to whether to go with 17" or 18" rims though and wanted some feedback. What's the difference performance wise all other things being equal? I assume the ride is a little harsher due to the shorter sidewall, but is handling otherwise unchanged? I realize acceleration will be hampered a little with the 18 due to the higher weight.

I will either go with a 225/45-17 or 225/40-18 tire so I won't be gaining any additional tire width with the 18.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

________

Wendie 99

I think 18s look nicer. That is the only reason why I have 18s over 17s. Performance wise, I'd choose 17s, mainly because of weight. I realize I'm taking a slight performance hit due to the weight of my rims/tires.

18s = better looks, handling(cornering), heavier, slower, worse for comfort, durability and fuel economy

17 = looks less slick, need better tires to compensate on corners, lighter, faster acceleration, better fuel economy, thicker tires means more comfortable ride.

Ed

18s = better looks, handling(cornering), heavier, slower, worse for comfort, durability and fuel economy

17 = looks less slick, need better tires to compensate on corners, lighter, faster acceleration, better fuel economy, thicker tires means more comfortable ride.

Ed

And yet strangely enough, the 06 Spec.B is the fastest LGT to date. I get amongst the best mileage according to the gas milage poll (though I am currently running my winter set up 17"s but with 50 aspec to match OEM circumference). The larger wheels mean I'm turning 3000 rpm @ 75 mph which makes for better fuel economy than a LGT.

18"s are more looks. 17"s offer just as much in terms of performance (width of the rim, and tire selection are MUCH more critical in this area), and cost less to buy, and less to get tires for.

Aesthetics is a personal thing so it's up to you.

I don't rock 18's specifically for the reasons stated above though.

And yet strangely enough, the 06 Spec.B is the fastest LGT to date. I get amongst the best mileage according to the gas milage poll (though I am currently running my winter set up 17"s but with 50 aspec to match OEM circumference). The larger wheels mean I'm turning 3000 rpm @ 75 mph which makes for better fuel economy than a LGT.

question - comfort-wise - how does the 50 series compare to the stock size on your Spec B?

Fuel economy, handling, etc. are more in the realm of what tire you run and what size you run it at. The reduction of sidewall flex isn't as dramatic as when you go from a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel.

SpecB's come with a bigger tires to compensate the +1 to 18"s rims.

Like I said before, if you want to compare the handling prowess of 18"s vs. 17"s, put some 17" RE070's from an STI up against whatever tire is on the SpecB 18" and you'll see which is clearly better in performance.

Like I said before, if you want to compare the handling prowess of 18"s vs. 17"s, put some 17" RE070's from an STI up against whatever tire is on the SpecB 18" and you'll see which is clearly better in performance.

The STi is an Imprezza not a Legacy.

Ed

I've always heard a larger tire gets better mpg. What's the deal?

I've always heard a larger tire gets better mpg. What's the deal?

Larger wheel circumference means lower rpm at cruising speed. In effect, it is like having taller gears. However, that can be negated by having wider tires which increase rolling resistance. This is why some OEMs put taller rather than wider tires on their vehicles to decrease overall body size thereby keeping weight down and increasing grip by having a longer instead of a wider contact patch which decreases rolling resistance. Overall, it helps the car to be lighter and grippier at the same time. Win win.

Archived