LegacyGT.com

Will Slotted Rotars Make a difference?

dc78

Stick with stock rotors, their is no need for slotted and/or crossdrilled rotors on a street driven vehicle. Tires and pads should be enough. :D

:edit:.....Rao is quicker and more eloquint with his responses, listen to him. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Def tires first.....

But there is significant difference between the stopping power of a stock LGT & a LGT with performance pads, Rotors, SS lines & fluid.

For a every day point A to point B vehicle I'd say save your money but if you do occasionallly drive the car hard......

Do it!!!

With my setup I am no longer interested in the Brembo upgrade.....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Anybody else have this problem?

yes. from stop and go you build up kind of a haze of brake dust on the rotors....at lease that's what the dealer told me when i complained.:rolleyes: dealer told me to do some hard stops from higher speeds to burn it off. since i've done this, my squeaking frequency has really been reduced.

But will pads be enough if you don't change the tires?

Tires first. Pad next, lines (honestly don't do much). I have SS lines, and saw no difference really. I wasn't exactly doing cartwheels down the street after the first stop sign I hit. SS lines are alot like strut tower bars, they look cool, but don't do as much as you think.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Tires first. Pad next, lines (honestly don't do much). I have SS lines, and saw no difference really. I wasn't exactly doing cartwheels down the street after the first stop sign I hit. SS lines are alot like strut tower bars, they look cool, but don't do as much as you think.

+199

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

really .. interesting, you must do a lot of spirited driving or something, I am approaching 50k ... brakes are fine I think .. heh ... (Will go check them out today).

plus my stock tires already looked baldy at 13k

i don't do much spirit driving... hmm maybe i do....

It must be the superior NA power turns :lol:

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

The secret is to simply avoid "stopping"... :icon_mrgr

That IS the secret! Which you learn real fast driving a low-power Miata: momentum is life. Along with being in the right gear ALL the time. But I digress!

I like to play boy racer as much as anyone, but for whatever reason I've always been easy on brakes. Just had my LGT's 30,000 mile service done - at 38k miles - and the brank inspection report listed my original pads at 80% remaining, front and 90% remaining, rear. Engine braking FTW! And you'd *think* that would have consequnces on my clutch life, but historically that hasn't been true, either. I sold my 8-year-old Contour SE at 106k miles with the original clutch. But historically I have not had LGT power, either, so I've still got my fingers crossed on that.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

for street use, you dont need slotted rotors.. you are not driving your pads that hot to the point where you are overheating and glazing them.. slotted rotors basically skim off the heated top layer of the pad and it keeps the surface of the pad roughen as far as I would know.. the diffrence of actual braking capacity doesnt change.. you can still overheat a brake pad eventually, just with slotted it you wear your pads down faster for very little gain.
Keefe

Post clutch replacement at 13k miles, I have weened myself of engine braking. I can do brake work myself, clutch labor is expensive...

+1 on gears in the tranny is a lot happier if you dont ride down on them in two opposing forces. Besides, you get more stopping power without the engine still engaged if you clutch in at the right time to maximize braking. The motor still makes power (if it didn't then the motor wouldnt still be firing off and making power still as you are "engine braking".. you are only increasing drivetrain resistance if anything by downshifting and riding it out like that.. I changed my driving habits as I use to do that a lot even with clutchless shifting to keep the entire car from any sort of opposing forces..

+2 on changing brake pads is simplier and cheaper.

Keefe

Archived