LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI Oil analysis results!

edmundu

• 3 months later...
Any answer on this?

Sorry, missed this question....

I do consume oil between changes. It uses about 0.5-.6 qts/5-6k miles. It has been this way since the car was new. Very consistent, varies less than 0.1-.2 qts across all of the oils I have used. So thickness made little bearing on the consumption.....

I believe the consumption is perfectly fine, as all of my analysis' showed great results:)

a little OT, sorry.

I've looked at AEM's website with little help.

Can someone describe how to clean the AEM dry filter?

I know this is lame... too tired to spend more time looking.

thanks for the assist.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
...........Pretty much the only way for Si to get into the engine is thru the air filter media.............

Certain engine parts can also contribute to the Si that shows up in a UOA. Silicon is a common element in alloys used in pistons and bearings.

Question are the AVO panel and AEM panel filter made of the same media?

They are both dry no-oil filters BUT do the perform the same. The discussion

seems to use the two as the same. Is this fair ? Lots of data / tests on the AEM , none that I see on the AVO.

Just to throw in my .02 cents....I did an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs on my 06 Civic SI running from 26,500 miles to 36,000 on AMSOIL 0w30 Series 2000 oil (which has now been replaced by SSO).

I had been running a K&N Panel filter since 15k miles on my car.

At 9500 miles, the whole thing came back perfect. I was going to run to 15k on this oil, but I think 12k will be completely comfortable and leave me room for error. No use in throwing out perfectly good oil, but no use in running worn out oil for longer than you should.

Silicone is used in lotsa stuff that the oil touches, true. But if you have 5 oil analysis done with consistent Si (i.e. 8-13) and then you drop in a new engine filter and Silicone spikes to 20 in the next analysis, then you can have some degree of confidence that either:

A. The filter was installed incorrectly or

B. The filter is letting in more dust

Thus, the OP's message that his AEM filter does not appear to be sacrificing filtration on the alter of flow seems to be correct (at least for the OP).

Joe

• 1 month later...

Ill add my two cents worth as well. Been using an AEM intake for about 10,000 miles or so. My car now has 73000 on it.

Sent in my mobile 1 oil to blackstone and the silicon number came back 10.

I feel these filters clean very well. More than I can say for an oiled K&N that I used on Mustangs and Jeeps back in my earlier years.

Archived