LegacyGT.com

Grafxwerks red out install

fatbastard

OK...I picked these up the other day and when I got the instructions I was surprised to see they were a dry install. So I did a search and it seems a lot of people had a hard time getting these on nice and one thread mentioned "Lee's" method to use alcohol/water spray. So, those of you that have installed these how did you do it? Heat....dry...wet???? Please help, I don't want to screw it up. One thing that appeared to be a common issue was to do it when it was warm so I guess I have some time to figure this out....or see if Leeberbs will install for me.

dang. your wagon will like just like mine:icon_wink

i used the alcohol/water misting. i started with the front corner and slowly heated the film with a hair dryer. i left the back on and slowly unpeeled as the previous part was in place. to be honest, it isn't the best job but its hard to tell unless you really look close.

i just used a hair dryer and a dry install

it sucked. Out of EVERYTHING i've done to my car, that was the hardest mod.

I did a pretty crappy job and there's wrinkles, but no one sees them untill I point it out... so I guess all is good.

looks great though

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/IMG_1171.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

For whatever reason the dry method scares me...I just figure the water/alcohol mist would give you a little wiggle room which I might need since there isn't much overlap. What was the mix of the alcohol and water? Or should I really consider seeing if Leeberbs would do it and save the head/heartache?

I had lotsa trouble with the grafxwerks red-out film. Mainly I was just too impatient and worked in an outdoor environment that was far too cold... plus I tried stretching the film over the tail light like saran-wrap over a food container, which got it all out of shape. Don't stretch, just lay it down and work it with your thumbs.

Wait until summer time when it's hot out, install in direct sunlight using a hair dryer as well...

(I ended up buying used JDM tail lights in the end, and I love the look of them.)

I think I'll end up giving it a try but I guess I'll wait till spring or our next 70 degree heat wave here. I think they were like 20 bucks delivered so it isn't a big deal. I just know I usually suck at things that take a lot of patience.

Archived