LegacyGT.com

So Legacy is faster than Audi S4????

I owned a 2004 s4 avant before having to sell it and buy the legacy gt wagon (both manuals, sold the audi bc I took a lower paying job and didn't want to keep up the monthly payments). I think there are one or two other former '04 s4 owners here as well. obviously I didn't have the chance to race one against the other. nonetheless, my unscientific but somewhat informed opinion is that an '04 s4 would comfortably walk away from a manual tranny leg gt. it would do so gradually from a stop, and it would easily do so from cruising speed. with the 6mt, the s4 had superb highway pickup at any speed. if the two cars had to remain in top gear, the audi's advantage would be even bigger. the s4 handled remarkably well for such a heavy car - better track times were achieved around the nurburgring in the s4 than the rs6, which shouldn't be that much of a suprise. for the leg gt and s4, assuming two drivers of equal skill, I would think it would be very close between the two cars on a track. having said all that, I'm certainly hoping that with some ecu work and a full exhaust, and maybe some relatively cheap suspension and tire upgrades, the gt will be at least the equal to, if not faster than, the s4 under all circumstances.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

[quote name='sandwood']I owned a 2004 s4 avant before having to sell it and buy the legacy gt wagon (both manuals, sold the audi bc I took a lower paying job and didn't want to keep up the monthly payments). I think there are one or two other former '04 s4 owners here as well. obviously I didn't have the chance to race one against the other. nonetheless, my unscientific but somewhat informed opinion is that an '04 s4 would comfortably walk away from a manual tranny leg gt. it would do so gradually from a stop, and it would easily do so from cruising speed. with the 6mt, the s4 had superb highway pickup at any speed. if the two cars had to remain in top gear, the audi's advantage would be even bigger. the s4 handled remarkably well for such a heavy car - better track times were achieved around the nurburgring in the s4 than the rs6, which shouldn't be that much of a suprise. for the leg gt and s4, assuming two drivers of equal skill, I would think it would be very close between the two cars on a track. having said all that, I'm certainly hoping that with some ecu work and a full exhaust, and maybe some relatively cheap suspension and tire upgrades, the gt will be at least the equal to, if not faster than, the s4 under all circumstances.[/QUOTE] i think you might want to peruse this list: [url]http://www.nordschleife.no/[/url] the RS4 has two times listed, 8:17 and 8:25, the RS6 is about 8:20. the RS4 weighs about same as the "new S4" but more power all over the rev band. i will track down a nurburgring time for the v8 s4, but i doubt it's any faster than 8:25. just based on other sports cars with better power to weight ratios. my point again is that the new S4 is really a disappointing car; by all rights it should have used the RS6 powerplant and been made available with the manual transmission. traditionally, an "S" designation means a limited edition engine package. there is nothing limited about a v8 that does duty in the a6, the a8, the allroad, the toureg and the S4. it's a mainstream corporate engine. as //M has become "marketing", //S has become "superprofit margin".

[quote name='lemming']i think you might want to peruse this list: [url]http://www.nordschleife.no/[/url] the RS4 has two times listed, 8:17 and 8:25, the RS6 is about 8:20. the RS4 weighs about same as the "new S4" but more power all over the rev band. i will track down a nurburgring time for the v8 s4, but i doubt it's any faster than 8:25. just based on other sports cars with better power to weight ratios. my point again is that the new S4 is really a disappointing car; by all rights it should have used the RS6 powerplant and been made available with the manual transmission. traditionally, an "S" designation means a limited edition engine package. there is nothing limited about a v8 that does duty in the a6, the a8, the allroad, the toureg and the S4. it's a mainstream corporate engine. as //M has become "marketing", //S has become "superprofit margin".[/QUOTE] Oops, I stand corrected. the only time I could find was an 8.29 for an s4 avant. maybe it was a hockenheim time...? anyway, fundamentally I agree with you that the S4 should have delivered more performance for the dollar. but I'm not sure I would call it disappointing. at any rate, hopefully audi will stick an fsi v8 or something a little more exotic in there the next go round.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Keep in mind that the new S4 isn't all about performance. It looks good, has torque for days, and a great interior. It's one of the few German luxo-performance cars that is something approaching fairly priced, IMHO. My only complaints are the chromed mirrors and that little airfoil thing on the lower part of the door. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Keep in mind that the new S4 isn't all about performance. It looks good, has torque for days, and a great interior. It's one of the few German luxo-performance cars that is something approaching fairly priced, IMHO. My only complaints are the chromed mirrors and that little airfoil thing on the lower part of the door. :lol: Kevin[/QUOTE] in the end, i agree with you. i just pick on the audi S4 because i think it has the potential to be a far faster car than it is. they got too conservative because of all of the problems with the twin turbos seizing on the b4 s4.

Kevin, I think those are the parts that make the S4 stand out from the others. Bit like our GT and STi, those have things that make them stand out from the pack. IMHO, its the BLING like that, that makes u know yr specialllllllllllll. Adam.

Archived