LegacyGT.com

'05 5 speed gt is faster than '07 6 speed spec b!!!

I'm with Curry - the 5 speed is just right. 6 Speeds are excessive. I mean, oh good, I get to shift into 3rd to putz around town. Joy. Or, better get, 4th to follow traffic at 35. Or having to shift even quicker than I do now?

No thanks.

Give me the 5 speed with a 6th gear tacked on at a lower RPM - waaay lower. Like drop your RPM's to 2500 from 3500 at 80mph...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For drag racing, the 5mt is better. If you're driving a lot of twisty roads, a 6 speed is generally better. More gears means better gear choice into a corner, more precise throttle steering. There is a reason, after all. Or do manufacturers like Ferrari, Porsche, and Lotus like to add weight for no good reason?
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

~100mph driving figures more heavily into Ferrari, Porsche, and Lotus design decisions than into Subaru design decisions, so it's not really a direct comparison.

I do agree that a 6th-gear overdrive would be cool for open interstates.

I did a small spreadsheet with the 5MT and 6MT ratios (transmisson & final drive) but can't find it right now. The new 6th gear is somewhat higher than the old 5th gear, though I don't recall exactly how much. I posted it on another thread here a week or two ago though.

dds96,

There is more to life than 0-60 drag races and shaving 1/10 second off of a 0-60 time. You can smoke your tires with your 2005 GT, good for you. I have a 2006 Spec B and would never try that for fear or breaking something.

As for the 2007, and the 6 speed, I will say that the extra gears are nice to have when in flowing traffic. You can have precisely the correct gear so that you can cruise in the opower curve and squirt through traffic. As for drag racing, you are correct. One more shift will make the car slower from 0-60.

A Mustang would be a much better car for smoking tires and drag racing. Much cheaper also.

I have a stock '05 gt limited wagon and it is faster and better than a '07 spec b. I will explain. I test drove the spec b saturday and I am unimpressed. The six speed is pointless. One has to shift to third year to get to 60mph. I could not drop the clutch to get a fast start. The "computer" cuts of the clutch to prevent you from "damaging" the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this? The brake feel, gauges, and clutch are definitely better, but I bet that 0-60 mph is better on my '05. Does anyone have any insight into this significant change in the driving experience? I think it must be due to warranty issues with the clutch. I can smoke the tires on my car, but I could not get this spec b to do the same. Why is everyone so impressed by a 6 speed transmission? Maybe they enjoy playing with their "stick" as much as possible. One looses several 1/10 of seconds in the shifting process. So if one has to shift to 3rd to get to 60 than you will get to that speed about a 1/4 to 1/2 second slower. I would like to get some input from someone with

a better understanding of manual trans or gearing ratios.

A STI or a WRX would suit you much better than a Legacy.

I love my 6-speed. As others have pointed out, it is perfect for carving up twisty roads.

Also, for those who say that they wouldn't like the 6-speed because they don't want to have to shift all the time, you can easily skip shifts on the (close-ratio) 6-speed. In "normal" driving (in traffic), I commonly shift 1-3-4 or 1-2-4. Getting onto a 50MPH 2 lane road I often go 1-3-6.

And as for acceleration, you may not win a drag race in the 6-speed (not my personal goal), but one can accelerate quite briskly by shifting 1-3-4. If you shift at high RPM in 1st, when you hit 3rd the RPM is right there at the start of the power band. I'll have to check on the exact RPM. :)

I would love to keep my tranny and have a nice 6th gear to get 30mpg on the freeway. Keep the same ratios up to the 6th because I like em. 5th is too high on the freeway for long trips.

AP stage 1 + fuel magic = 28-30mpg hwy 4 me

would love to keep my tranny and have a nice 6th gear to get 30mpg on the freeway. Keep the same ratios up to the 6th because I like em

You mean like an overdrive. The final drive ratio is what counts. Manufactures frequently add another gear, but the final drive ratio remains the same, ala Spec B !

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

For drag racing, the 5mt is better. If you're driving a lot of twisty roads, a 6 speed is generally better. More gears means better gear choice into a corner, more precise throttle steering. There is a reason, after all. Or do manufacturers like Ferrari, Porsche, and Lotus like to add weight for no good reason?

Go to the head of the class!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

dds96,

There is more to life than 0-60 drag races and shaving 1/10 second off of a 0-60 time. You can smoke your tires with your 2005 GT, good for you. I have a 2006 Spec B and would never try that for fear or breaking something.

They why did you buy a fast car? Don't be a sissy! Light the tires every now and then. Wake up and smell the burning clutch!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

http://k43.pbase.com/t1/07/362307/4/59294746.streetracer.jpg

Wow, it looks like SO much fun!!! We should all try it really soon:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived