LegacyGT.com

07 Factory Remote Start

Anyone still having this problem??Winter is coming and I wanted to install this in my car.

ya, a month or two back I got the 3rd one installed and this one seems to be working. They replaced both the remote starter module and the wiring harness.

However, there seemed to be a connection with the outdoor temperature and we haven't gotten down to the really cold temps yet.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2007 Outback wagon factory remote start started failing about a week or so ago. After I press the button twice, in a few seconds the horn starts beeping. I have to use the unlock button to shut it up. Then when the doors are still unopened, the dashboard is lighting up, dials moving as if preparing to start.....??

I took it to the dealer a few days ago and, you guessed it, the remote start worked.

It's been cold here, mostly 20's and 30's, and from what I've read here, that could be part of the problem. Of course, this kind of weather is when you need it most.....

Any ideas?

Mine's been working pretty well all winter (with plenty of cold (-20C, <0F) days). I had one time in which it set the alarm off, but I do recall hitting some button combination before hand that had unlocked and re-locked just before starting it. Perhaps that confused the system.

So, after multiple attempts to fix it the original problem the solution seemed to have been to replace both the module and related cable harness.

Just as a FYI........We have a 07 Legacy with port installed Remote start. Have had a ongoing intermittent problem with the alarm going off after using the remote start.

Took to the dealer 2 times to get it right. First repair was a new wiring harness ( to remote). The second fix ( which is still working ) was that there were 2 pins that were not making good contact.

Problem has been repaired and all ok for the last month.

Unlike some, weather did not seem to be a factor, although it seemed to happen more on first use of the remote that day.

Gary

• 9 months later...

I don't want to start a new thread but just want to check in on you guys for the long haul.

I am getting this for my mom for Christmas, I was going to do the install myself, as I'm sure it's rather simple, but if there are this many problems I don't want them pushing the blame on me. It seems like it was an initial problem that has been resolved.

BTW she has an '09 Forester so hopefully any wiring issues would too be fixed.

If anyone has done this install themselves, is it simply plug, program, and play, or is there any wire splicing?? Trying to find directions on line....

Thanks!!

Winter's here again and so I tried using my remote for the first time in >6 months. Doors lock, lights come on. Radio comes on. Some noise comes from under the hood, but I don't believe it is the starter (a relay?). Tries 5 times and gives up.

Yup, once again it is BROKEN. I have never in my life had so many problems with a product.

Gotta make an appointment and bring it in for the 4 or 5th visit now.

Sigh.

NOT what I want to hear... but this is on an '07 LGT right??? From what I understand it may actually be a different module for the new forester.... not sure yet, I'll look up the part numbers and go from there.

Is the sound a clicking??? If so it's probably a relay, but I don't know why it would be under the hood.

Thanks for the response...

EDIT: Upon more research the part numbers are different for '08 & '09 Legacy than the '07 so maybe they have fixe the earlier problem. I also got ahold of some directions and it looks rather simple, except you must use the Subaru Diagnostic Interface to program the immobilizer override.... so I have to talk to the dealer and see if they'll do that part for me. ARGH!

Good luck with yours, maybe they can put in an '08 module???

Oh yeah if you haven't had that e-brake leather fixed, take a good look at your shifter leather (not sure if A/T has any?) as mine was cracking too on my LGT M/T

If it were up to me I probably would, but she is insistent on having an OEM remote because of warranties and such.... I know it shouldn't matter so long as I install it right. Oh well either way the dealership is going to need to program the RF immobilizer override.

Well I got my viper one from best buy and carries a lifetime warranty so no issue there. And really there are a lot more best buys nationwide than subaru dealers. And no the dealer does not need to be involved I had to buy a system bypass overide module which does that. In all I paid $250 installed and it works great.

• 9 months later...
Has anybody figured out the problem here? My remote starter on my '07 Legacy Limited is not working and causing the alarm to go off. :mad:

Repeated repairs by a Subaru dealer.

I don't know what all they fixed, but I think they replaced the device and cables a couple of times. It worked last time I used it about 8 months ago.

• 3 months later...
mine was working great for 2+ years, but last night I installed a trailer brake controller under the dash.... now my remote start is doing the same thing....sometimes it set off the alarm, sometimes it just tries and quits..... It has got to be a strained wire in one of the MANY module harness connections. I'll report back when done.

I got back under the driver side dash today and looked for any harnesses that looked "uncomfortable".... Just to the right side of the steering wheel, there is a thick bundle of wires that was rubbing on the column adjuster, so I carefully moved it away. I also went underneath and looked at the many modules that were installed for the remote starter (I installed it years ago per SOA instructions) and pushed in on every harness connection that I saw....DO NOT UNPLUG ANY OF THEM, as it may require the dealer to reprogram the remote start (they need to program the immobilizer)....

My car starts just as it did before I installed the trailer brake controller... It's just odd that a loose harness replicates exactly what is happening to some of you.... I hope this helps in some way.

• 2 months later...
.... I installed it years ago per SOA instructions

rides20 - I installed the factory remote starter to 2007 Outback wagon by following the instructions yesterday. It calls for removing the 2 10mm bolts in order to drop the BIU black box (right side of steering column) and then install the remote starter module box up there. Remount the BIU black box by put the 2 bolts back to the original place.

Removing it was a pain because the metal plate & bolts are behind the BIU box. The only way to find them is searched by your fingers, to remove them by the correct extension, 1.5".

Now putting the bolts back is another pain because you can't see them, just by feel and your body is in uncomfortable odd posture. Does anyone have a good experience on how to put 2 bolts back to the metal plate? Currently I temporary used 2 8" plastic zip ties to repalce the bolts in order to secure the BIU black box to that place, but is a little lower than the original.

• 4 months later...

I'll chime in here concerning temperature.

I just bought an 08 Legacy LTD, N/A and the remote start started experiencing the same issues: Doors will lock, engine will start, alarm will go off. Not only will it go off, but it will continue to try and start 3-4 times after the alarm goes off. Except, the engine will not start, the dash will light up then shut down. Repeat.

I live in Florida so cold weather doesn't really apply to me. I use it for the opposite: Since it's so hot, I run engine to cool down the cabin. When this first happened, it was at 11pm (roughly 89 out), and then again the next day at noon roughly 98 out. It's happened intermittently since.

Has anyone solved this issue through SOA? I purchased my legacy used from a non-subaru dealership (still under factory warranty), so I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer or call SOA first. : /

Bring to dealer and ask them to do programming the immobilizer interface with your remote starter and all your car keys. After that make sure to confirm your remote starter is working.

The immobilizer interface will be programmed to the vehicle an ignition key.

I think it is the immobilizer function stops the starting process. The OEM starter has a flexible ring slipped around the illuminated ignition cylinder behind the upper steering column shroud, where you insert the car key. Car won't start if the immobilizer does not recognize that ring is one of the key.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

On a whim I attempted to start my Legacy using the remote start while sitting in the drivers seat. The car did not start and did the try three times thing where all the lights illuminate, but the car didn't start. I tried it a second time, except this time I took my key and held it next to the ignition switch... and PRESTO, the car started.

I suspect that either a connection is loose to the immobilizer ring, or it somehow lost the immobilizer programming. I am going to check the connections per Rides20's suggestion to see if this fixes the issue.

Ordinarily, I would suspect the later, however I am unsure whether the immobilizer in my key was read by the "ring" or whatever device is installed in the ignition switch. I will check it out and post back. If I fix it, I'm going to create a new post to assist others with the same issue. Looking around on the intarwebs, there a bunch of people that reported the issue, but no resolutions.

The immobilizer interface mounting is velcro-ed & 21" cable-tied next to the A/T Control Module which is located to the left of the brake pedal.

You will find the plug-in of 4-pin immobilizer intreface connector from the wiring of immobilizer interface antenna ring slipped to the illuminated ignition cylinder.

Check whether it is plugged in there.

The immobilizer interface mounting is velcro-ed & 21" cable-tied next to the A/T Control Module which is located to the left of the brake pedal.

You will find the plug-in of 4-pin immobilizer intreface connector from the wiring of immobilizer interface antenna ring slipped to the illuminated ignition cylinder.

Check whether it is plugged in there.

I located the module under the dash and saw two pink connectors plugged into the side of the module. I pressed both connectors into the module and noticed that the fitment is not snug, regardless of the fact that the connectors appear properly seated. I did not notice any wires that appeared stressed as per rides20's comments.

Anyhow, my remote starter has now been working for the last two days with no issues. :lol::lol:

Although I suspect the connections to the module are the culprit, I cannot rule out a loose connection to the ignition cylinder, as I wiggled this wires as well when following it back under the dash / steering column. A loose connection would make perfect sense, as the remote start initially was having intermittent problems before it stopped working completely... so it wasn't like it just plain broke.

Anyhow, if the problem comes back, I may try to secure the connectors to the module with zip-ties or something similar to keep them from unseating, or loosening themselves.

I took pictures of the module and how to access (very easy... two screw-tabs and a pop tab allows removal of the access panel). I would like to create a topic specifically for the remote start issue to help others with the same issue. Thoughts?

Thanks again for everybody's help!

• 1 year later...

Recently, whenever I started my car with the Subaru remote start, the alarm would go off whenever I opened the door with the key fob. It worked fine from the beginning but suddenly it decided to malfunction.

Anyway, I removed the panel under the dash and found the remote start module which is next to the brake pedal. It seemed to be coming off a metal plate it was attached to, so I secured it down with electrical tape, checked to make sure the connections were all securely plugged together, and now it works fine.

Thanks Chupula for the suggestions!

Recently, whenever I started my car with the Subaru remote start, the alarm would go off whenever I opened the door with the key fob. It worked fine from the beginning but suddenly it decided to malfunction.

Anyway, I removed the panel under the dash and found the remote start module which is next to the brake pedal. It seemed to be coming off a metal plate it was attached to, so I secured it down with electrical tape, checked to make sure the connections were all securely plugged together, and now it works fine.

Thanks Chupula for the suggestions!

My pleasure... I've gotten enough free advice from various web forums over the years, that it's nice to know I have contributed to helping solve somebody else's problem for a change.

... and sorry I never got around to creating the thread on this. I even recently came across the pictures I took of the module even though my Subaru is long gone... which reminds me that I need to post the brand new rotors and pads I have sitting in my basement to the classifieds.

Edit: nice looking Subie, BTW. It was a black one just like yours that inspired me to buy mine originally... except I ended up with the white one LOL!

Archived