LegacyGT.com

Gripes about Legacy GT

I have a 05 Leg. GT LTD. sedan with 2,000 miles. When the car is under med. to hard acceleration, I get a real bad smell in the car, like a sweet or rotton egg smell. Also, when the ACC. is on 65 (that is the lowest setting), and the mode is on fresh outside air, I get very warm or almost hot air coming in from the fresh air vents. (Like outside air is 79 and air coming out of the vents is 101). The service manager and I tried everything we could think of to solve both problems, nothing worked. I called SOA, and started a case. I am now waiting for an answer from Subaru. The smell is so bad, that after about 15 min. in the car, I start to feel a little sick. I also noticed that there are a lot of the same complaints on this and a lot of other forums about the same two problems. I will keep the board informed about how SOA handles these two problems. I also write for a news paper, and I intend to do a story on this whole situation if it is not solved in a very reasonable amount of time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='twisted'] I cant believe none of you complained about the cruise control selector unit behind steering wheel....are we in the 90's still??? exterior door handles-not very classy....honda civic has better ones he he they call them cup-holders??? [/QUOTE] I think the cruise control location, ergonomics, and operation are second to none. Where else would you like them to be? Door handles.....I have no complaints here. Cup holders are great. Wouldn't mind if they were DEEPER so that a 20oz bottle of soda wouldn't get in the way of shifting as much. Would LOVE it if the TRUNK/GAS DOOR release levers were illuminated. Would also like interior lights to come on with key removal, and have more light up front by having map lights come on with doors open etc. Its dark up front with the dome light mainly lighting up the back seat.

I agree the cruise control is fine, this is how it is on Lexus and Toyota and at first I had no idea how to use it but its fine once you learn it. Though I prefer the E46 which is mounted on the steering wheel with a simple On/Off button a Resume button and +/_ for increase/decreasing speed. By far the simplest of all systems I've ever used.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I have a few, but they don't really detract from the car that much. In the Limited Wgn, the dome light is waaaay back behind the sunroof, so when you open the door at night, it's still pitch black in the front seat area. Seems like hooking the map lights to the dome light circuit would be a simple solution, but what do I know? After 5 weeks, I'm still having trouble coming to terms with the auto trans. It has several quirks that can make driving briskly pretty difficult. It's the first new car I've owned with an auto, and I guess I miss the level of control a manual trans gives you. The sunroof (moonroof?) is clear glass. I used to be a mechanic, and I've never seen a clear glass sun(moon)roof. I had the windows tinted at the dealer before I took delivery, and the tint guy asked if I wanted the sunroof tinted. I thought he was kidding, so I said no. Now I wish I had. A telescoping steering column would be nice. As I said, nothing major.

[quote name='DAP']Clear glass moon roof? That is odd, is it an after market? Mine is really dark stock.[/QUOTE]I have a Limited, sunroof is factory. Every other sunroof, or moonroof I guess, I have seen is tinted from the factory. Very unusual. (I know the glass ones are technically moonroofs)

the cup holder is DEEPER then in Model years past.. i love that when taking a turn hard, your drink doesn't go bye bye. Holds my 1 liter just fine. The velcro under my pass carpet is annoying... Learning my HVAC 'personality' is annoying. Not having a clear, easy, cheaper speaker / amp / headunit upgrade is annoying.

[quote name='TLS']Would also like interior lights to come on with key removal, and have more light up front by having map lights come on with doors open etc. Its dark up front with the dome light mainly lighting up the back seat.[/QUOTE] Me too...twice, I've gone out to the car late at night to pull some CDs from the deck, unlocked the car, couldn't see anything, so pushed the map light button. Extracted the CDs, and left, forgetting to turn off the map light (OK, blame it on the beer!). In both cases, didn't try to start the car until a few days later, by which time, the battery was DEAD!

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I can't believe I forgot about the floor mat hook! Damn that thing![/QUOTE] Yeah, what is up with the floor mat hook?? I have had it fixed twice now. My biggest complaint is a squeaky moonroof cover and the rear compartment cover squeaks. Drives me nuts!!! I also haven't found the sweet spot on the seat. My back kills me after a long drive.

[quote name='nomoreS4']DM...so yours turns off....mine definitely doesn't. Is mine defective (the auto-turnoff, not my memory), or is this a build-date issue?[/QUOTE] More specifically, I left teh door ever so slightly cracked to discover it the next morning. It was fine though...:redface:

• 4 months later...
[quote name='avdoc'] Even though I live in a state that doesn't require front plates, the dealer had one of their plates on the front of the car. My understanding is that they had to drill holes in the car to put the plate on. Is that correct? If it is, I am really pissed that the dealer did this just so they could display their name. It's bad enough they have decals on the back.[/QUOTE] [color=black]I hear ya! My dealer did the same damn thing, although I don't think they used a drill. They put two holes in the front bumper and mounted their advertising plate. I too was really pissed. If there's not a bracket provided they shouldn't be drilling holes in a $30K car to do their advertising. Did they think I was going to keep their plate there?[/color]

Holes in front bumper, front bumper stone chips, rattle in mirror, rattle in dome light, buzz from headliner near drivers side visor, weak brakes, needs improved handling. My list of praises is much longer and the rattles I will fix this weekend. All-in-all, I am very happy with the car.

lets see, cant believe nobody has mentioned this yet.. 1) You turn the car off (key off) you cant roll the windows up. I almost swear every car in the world comes with the 30 second deal where you have 30 seconds after turning the key off to roll up the windows. 2) boost gauge! -Tronix(more to come)GT
for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

I was dumb enough to not discover this while test driving: - Rims not square enough, they are too circle-ly - Puny Rear Independant Suspension, gotta have my Live Axle - Ride very sporty and stiff, it doesn't make sense, why would a [b]stiffer-than-normal suspension and low profile tires[/b] transmit more of the road and have less dampening, it doesn't make sense, why would this cause more [b]rattles, [/b]especially on mortar-shelled roads, it doesn't make sense, it is un-logical and un-rational - I didn't know I had All Wheel Drive, cause it's a fscking WHP pig, I thought all cars had Front Wheel Drive - Shove that "best bang for your buck" up yours - It handles like a pig, and thank AWD for that, ahhh should have gone for FWD - Salesman told me not to try brakes on test drive because they have to be broken in, and only after break-in(1000miles) do I discover that the brakes suck pig ass. - The car I test drove didn't have a single rattle, but my new car had a bunch, WTF, my new car is the car I test drove, that low life dealer, they installed the rattles option behind my back I have gripes everytime I drive my sucky Legacy GT, ahh I should have known that I was naturally incompatible with the car. Gripes [i]n.[/i] [list=1] [*] [b]gripes[/b] Sharp, spasmodic pains in the bowels. [/list]<scrsm/> You probably whined about crust around your toast, before your mom shoved it down your throat at knife-point. Nothing is perfect, and for the ignorant, cars are [b]not cloned[/b], so miniscule variations are a must.
I keed I keeed

[quote name='melayout']I was dumb enough to not discover this while test driving: - Rims not square enough, they are too circle-ly - Puny Rear Independant Suspension, gotta have my Live Axle - Ride very sporty and stiff, it doesn't make sense, why would a [b]stiffer-than-normal suspension and low profile tires[/b] transmit more of the road and have less dampening, it doesn't make sense, why would this cause more [b]rattles, [/b]especially on mortar-shelled roads, it doesn't make sense, it is un-logical and un-rational - I didn't know I had All Wheel Drive, cause it's a fscking WHP pig, I thought all cars had Front Wheel Drive - Shove that "best bang for your buck" up yours - It handles like a pig, and thank AWD for that, ahhh should have gone for FWD - Salesman told me not to try brakes on test drive because they have to be broken in, and only after break-in(1000miles) do I discover that the brakes suck pig ass. - The car I test drove didn't have a single rattle, but my new car had a bunch, WTF, my new car is the car I test drove, that low life dealer, they installed the rattles option behind my back I have gripes everytime I drive my sucky Legacy GT, ahh I should have known that I was naturally incompatible with the car. Gripes [i]n.[/i] [list=1] [*] [b]gripes[/b] Sharp, spasmodic pains in the bowels. [/list]<scrsm/> You probably whined about crust around your toast, before your mom shoved it down your throat at knife-point. Nothing is perfect, and for the ignorant, cars are [b]not cloned[/b], so miniscule variations are a must.[/QUOTE] They should have put on FWD?!?! please see my avatar for a detailed explanation as to why not :lol:. I'm confused about your first and forth comments? are you using sarcasm, or does it seem like you are just not making sense again (EG my hood scoop needs moar c0vAR). Regardless my complaints are as follows: -No Factory dome light up front (One should not have to modify their car for this, it is standard on most other cars in this class) -Ditto for the armrest extension, it would be nice if there was one that could slide instead of shift between two positions -5 letters "RE92A" come on now Subaru.... -2 seatback storage nets instead of 1 would be nicer -Though the ratios would be the same etc etc I still would enjoy a 6 speed more than I would a 5 speed... -How ridiculously easy it is to conduct unlawful driving regardless of whether you want to or not -How everyone automatically assumes you are fast when you have a black car with dual exhausts and are debadged so they tailgate you hoping you will lower your level to race them... The windshield washer spray trick will only work so much longer....

A lot of driver enthusiasts are buying the Legacy GT. No driver enthusiast would leave a dealer advertisement front plate on their new turbocharged car. Its sad that they did this, but most people are complacent, and will leave dealer ads on their car. My Legacy came with a sticker on the trunk and a rear-license frame advertisement for the dealership. They were both removed within 24 hours.

[quote name='melayout'] You probably whined about crust around your toast, before your mom shoved it down your throat at knife-point. Nothing is perfect, and for the ignorant, cars are [b]not cloned[/b], so miniscule variations are a must.[/QUOTE] I realize the source of your sarcasm. It seems miniscule some of the things people are complaining about, but having run a toyota forum myself now for 5 years I do know that Toyota actually reads our forum and gathers feedback from owners. I can't say that Subaru will ever read this thread, but it is a good possibility since I know first hand other car companies do. I have seen first hand that Toyota noticed that about 90% of owners were complaining that a cigarette lighter was too close to a shifter, so you couldnt shift and have an accessory such as a radar detector plugged in at the same time. And they used that feedback to make a slight change in the future design. So as minute and whiney as some of these complaints may seem, It is actually a very useful piece of information. Nobody will ever make a car that makes everyone happy. Hell nobody will ever make a product of any kind that will be 100% perfect in every persons eyes. It is impossible. I think everyone that has posted gripes loves thier legacy regardless. Some of these gripes have been solved by others just because somone didnt realize how it worked, or that they were missing pieces of thier car. So as irritating as this may be to some, its helpul to far more people than you may realize. -Tronix(the logical one)GT
for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Hey someone call 9 -whaw -whaw!! We need a Whambulance here!:lol: I'm just kidding. Yeah there are some things that bug me about the car and when you have time to list them you can gather them all up at once. Overall though I am very happy with the car but its nice to be able to vent.

Archived