LegacyGT.com

My Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth install

wrx2blackGT

I would love one of these, but Verizon sucks with bluetooth, and Id have to switch to Cingular.

why would that matter? it's a function of the phone and the bluetooth device you would be using, not necessarily the carrier.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily. Verizon's phones are all handicapped when it comes to Bluetooth. VZ phones don't work with any of the OEM vehicle phones or CarPC's (Audi etc) or PhoCo for CarPC. They "work" in that if youre lucky you can send receive calls, but none of the other features work.

For this device, Verizon may work well enough. But in general, Cingular's phones are most compatible with this sort of thing.

If you look at a list of compatible phones for a bluetooth system (say Audi again for example) Verizon's phones arent on it.

Verizon's phones can use certain bluetooth things fine (headsets, etc.) but not more complicated things. They cant communicate back and forth between them (to read your phone book, SMS mssgs, etc.)

But still looking into this Parrot setup. Heard good things. And since my phone wont work with my CarPC, maybe this setup will work for me!

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Guest Gitster

Proprietary Software FTL.

Cingular for the Win, let the phone manufacturers run their own software, Symbian OS FTW.

If they did lift it, maybe on the new phones. I have a MotoKRZR, one of their newest phones. Doesnt work for crap with ANYTHING related to bluetooth (except for Verizon specific accessories: headset, etc.).

Im pretty sure theyre still handicapped...my phone's only a month old, still no go.

I want to switch to Cingular, but the $175 cancellation fee and not being able to call my Verizon friends for free anymore....creating big decision hurdles for me.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Guest Gitster

Its a tough call, go to someplace other than Bestbuy. Go to a Stereo Installer w/ the Parrot kit specs, and explain that you need the sub to be muted when the kit receives a call, Im sure they can figure something out.

A place like Bestbuy isnt gonna void and warranty's or do anything against manufacturers recommendations, go to a private installer, Im sure they can figure it out.

I would say its pretty easy to wire a remote mute button for the Sub, acts just like a switch on the 12V feed.

Any custom stereo shop could do it.

True. There's a chance the sub might thump when you restore the power, though.

I would love more details on the muting issue. I have an 07 GT. Does this support the telephone mute function. Parrot didnt know anything about it

I'm not surprised Parrot wouldn't know about the mute function on the 8-pin jack (or, for that matter, from the steering wheel buttons), since those are not as widely documented.

Subarus are such a small market as it is that I'm sure Parrot won't want to mess with trying to simulate the steering wheel button mute (it's not reliable anyway -- if your radio was already muted, the Parrot would unmute it during the call).

Unfortunately, the phone functionality was removed from the 8-pin jack on 2007s. You get the Aux input for your MP3 player instead.

Your HU might also have another jack for the OEM nav system, but that would be much more difficult to adapt to use with a phone kit.

• 1 month later...
Called Parrot, they said that the unit will not interupt the sub. The Tweeter guy said that if you tried it, the subs volume will go way up when you mute the speakers. Doesn't sound like something I want to try. I think I'll just get a Tom Tom with Bluetooth included.

I finally managed to install my CK3000 over the weekend - pretty straightforward, seeing as I've already removed the head unit twice (once for subwoofer install, once for Jazzy's aux in).

A few observations and things I've discovered:

1. Some people say you have to swap red & orange fuse lines, others say you don't. Without them swapped, the Parrot's LEDs stay on even with ignition off, so I do need to swap them for my car.

2. I never hear any "goodbye" as they say I should. Not concerned.

3. My subwoofer IS muted by the unit. My sub is connected via the 14-pin harness -- I think it won't mute the sub for those who are using the 8-pin connector.

4. Paired perfectly with my UTStarcom 6700 - great sound quality.

Guest Gitster

2. I never hear any "goodbye" as they say I should. Not concerned

I noticed this too, I dont get it. Maybe its how our car doesnt retain power when turned off. But anyways, yes, Its not a major concern of mine either.

The only thing I noticed funky, which is probably a problem with my Nokia N80. Once or twice I thought something got disconnected from my radio cause it functioned perfectly, but no sound from anything was working. I drove all the way to work without stereo (90 miles killer haha).

It ended up being my phone was the problem, something about it was active, with the BT connected, hence it muted my stereo or the entire ride. I just cycled the BT on my phone the second time I realized thats what it was. This got it "unstuck".

Just something to look out for.

I noticed this too, I dont get it. Maybe its how our car doesnt retain power when turned off. But anyways, yes, Its not a major concern of mine either.

Well, I have the Retained Accessory Power mod, so I get about 4 mins of retained accessory power after removing the ignition key (or until I lock the car, whichever occurs first). Tried locking the car while still inside to hear the British babe say "goodbye"....but she still doesn't! :lol:

Guest Gitster
Well, I have the Retained Accessory Power mod, so I get about 4 mins of retained accessory power after removing the ignition key (or until I lock the car, whichever occurs first). Tried locking the car while still inside to hear the British babe say "goodbye"....but she still doesn't! :lol:

Thats f'ing interesting man. Sounds like a good Mod, didnt know about that. I was gonna call Parrot about it, but im a lazy SOB. :spin:

Thats f'ing interesting man. Sounds like a good Mod, didnt know about that. I was gonna call Parrot about it, but im a lazy SOB. :spin:

D'oh....just read this on the parrotkit web site

The Parrot 3000 Evolution does not give a Goodbye message, but the LED's will stay lit for a few seconds after car shutdown which will indicate that the Parrot is wired correctly

http://www.parrotkits.com/support.html

So, just a case of RTFWS for me!

• 1 month later...
going to bump this back up, as I am about to buy the parrot kit.

What is the difference between the harness supplied by parrot and the one supplied from parrotkits.com ?

AFAIK, parrot provides a generic harness that you'll have to wire up to your particular car wiring ( translation - car's stereo wiring diagram needed and it will involve cutting wires, etc). Parrotkits provides you with plug-and-play harrness made for your specific vehicle that has your stereo compatible connectors. Easier installation and time saver as everything just plugs in, no cutting wires required. For ~$50 that ParrotKits charges for Subaru specific connector I plan to get one and save myself from digging into my car harness.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

hmmm with the information I see involving the radio threads.... isn't it just a few wires that need to plug in to the 8 pin connector ?

Or are there way more then just the radio plugs ?

Where is it getting power from ?

Guest Gitster
You need a Subaru specific harness that adapts the Subaru radio harness (power and audio) to the Parrot supplied harness. Thats it, you need both.

You need a Subaru specific harness that adapts the Subaru radio harness (power and audio) to the Parrot supplied harness. Thats it, you need both.

hmm, I was under impression that parrotkits.com harness eliminates any need for using parrot's original harness. Was I mistaken ?

Well have you installed one? Because I have one, and its installed, by me.

No, I haven't ordered it yet; I read the description from parrotkits.com and the harness description says "no cutting, etc..". weird. So you're saying that you had to use BOTH harnesses - the one that comes with Parrot in the box and additional one that parrotkits sells ?

Guest Gitster
Yes, otherwise you would have to cut the factory harness to splice into the BT harness. This is what the Subaru Specific harness does, adapts from Subaru connectors to the generic Parrot connectors.

Gitster... can you confirm the subaru harness from parrotkits.com is going into the 8 pin connector ?

The picture on the site shows a 14? pin connector ...

edit : Unless the BLACK port is the radio side.

Are there wires for the pins that traditionally plug into the steering wheel control pins, allowing a splice, or are they blank ?

Gitster... can you confirm the subaru harness from parrotkits.com is going into the 8 pin connector ?

The picture on the site shows a 14? pin connector ...

edit : Unless the BLACK port is the radio side.

Are there wires for the pins that traditionally plug into the steering wheel control pins, allowing a splice, or are they blank ?

I used the QCSub-1, confirming that it goes into our 14-pin connectors. Not sure about the steering wheel control pins, never looked.

Archived