LegacyGT.com

New competition on the horizon: an AWD Ferrari ?

I read last night in Road & Track (Jan, 2007) that Ferrari plans to introduce AWD in all their models, starting with the 612 Scaglietti. The car will still be RWD till some computer decides awd is cooler for whateevr road conditions there are.

More on the story

Now step back for a second. Ferrari has bulilt turbo cars before ? The F40 (3L, V6 twin turbo) of 1988. How hard would it be to upgrade the defunct 3.6 L V8 from the 360 Modena with a turbo ? For Ferrari/Maseratti - not that hard. Ferrari has built 4 door cars before - albeit a limited run of like...3 models or so for some Sultan/Sheik/Prince of Richland. Now with AWD...imagine they put all these features in one package: turbo, awd, 4 dr - imagine how hard would it be to choose between a Ferrari and a Subaru ! They'd all have the same essential features...

Jokes aside: the ideea of an AWD Ferrari is sick. Wrong. Imoral. Ferraris are about pure unadulterated RWD fun, V8 or V12 power, N/A. Thy can pull a turbo every now and then...but the ideea of AWD is probably making Enzo Ferrari rev to 19,000 rpm in his grave.

I'd settle for a v10 ;)

3L V10 from the late post-modern Formula One era (2000-2005)...19,000 rpm, 900+ horsepower - holly crap...

I always appreciated Ferrari's making of a small V8 (3.6 L V8 in the Modena) but they first changed the engine to a 4.3 V8 then got rid of the Modena altogether to make the new F430. Why don't manufacturers make small V8s no more ? I used to own a 1999 SHO (3.4 L V8) but not the most reliable...though the engine was not the problem...but the FWD and the 4 gear auto tranny.

Back to AWD Ferrari = blasphemy

As long as it is only the 612 Scaglietti, and intended to make the car more weather freindly, I don't see that much of a problem.

If they were to add that kind of weight to a 430, or 599, I would think that would dilute the marque. Leave AWD to Porsche and Lamborghini/Bugatti.

The chances of a four door, AWD, turbocharged ferrari are about the same chances of a mother theresa ice sculpture in hades. And then it would be at least 6 times the price of a Legacy GT, and pretty much unattainable by most people. It would probably be about as popular as the old 400 series Ferraris... meaning 'not'. Nice ferrari cars, no doubt. Not popular ferraris.

Porsche AWD turbo 4-door, maybe. Ferrari, natsomuch. Probably not even Maserati.

Why is an AWD Ferrari sacrilege?

Ferrari is starting to push 600 hp with a fair amount of regularity in their models. Suddenly you aren't getting the power to the ground. AWD is a natural evolution of their car. It will still be heavily RWD bias, so I figure why not.

You fools tend to forget that the seemingly "standard" Mid/Rear configuration frequently associated the "pure" Ferraris is something that Mr. Enzo himself fiercely resisted. He eventually lost that battle and gave in to the requests of his drivers.

So I say the F40, F50, Enzo, 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, F430, and many other Ferrari models are not "true" Ferraris. :icon_roll

Archived