LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP Questions?

BMac1203

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again though, how come I can get a custom tune on my avalanche for $170 and it is so much for a subaru. Is it because there is not the demand that there is for a subaru one. Is it a different system. I mean, the can system is not subaru specific. Ford has had it for a while on some of there heavy duty trucks. On my avalanche I just ordered a new pcm with a custom tune on it. Told him my mods and he did it. I could go to stock by simply switching the pcm back. Wish I could do this on the subaru.

COBB posted some great insight into how difficult it is to crack a million lines of progamming to understand the parameters being controlled on a turbo engine. The R&D costs are huge and the cost of the AccessPort reflects it. The HP and Torque gains for the $ are a bargain

and isn't it amazing one guy by himself figured out how to do the same exact thing during his free time?

openecu.org

Again though, how come I can get a custom tune on my avalanche for $170 and it is so much for a subaru. Is it because there is not the demand that there is for a subaru one. Is it a different system. I mean, the can system is not subaru specific. Ford has had it for a while on some of there heavy duty trucks. On my avalanche I just ordered a new pcm with a custom tune on it. Told him my mods and he did it. I could go to stock by simply switching the pcm back. Wish I could do this on the subaru.

Ok that seems like a decent price....

but now consider this....

Boost Gauge cost and install ~ 150-200+ dollars

Maf reading ~ can't get a gauge for that but the AP can read it off the ECU

WG duty cycle - Same thing as the maf..

basically i could list lots of stuff but take into effect the other feautres and readings that are available to you when compared to just a simple flashing unit such as the ones you use for your avalance or a VW chip etc...

Features, Readings, Overall experience with the AP to me seems like the overall better value.

and isn't it amazing one guy by himself figured out how to do the same exact thing during his free time?

openecu.org

openecu != AccessPort

Opensource is great for your PC, rarely does it screw anything up permanently. If it does, all you have to do is reload your OS.

For your car is quite a different story. I do not trust open source maps running on my car that some guy on the internet made and tells me are safe. To use these tools safely and successfully you need to have a great knowledge of tuning. Even then you do not have the visibility in to the ECU that commercially developed options give you. I'd rather not risk causing thousands of dollars of damage for which I have no recourse for getting fixed by those responsible.

Yes the AP is expensive. Overpriced? Probably. Worth it? For me, unfortunately yes.

• 11 months later...
Just recently installed Cobb APv2 on my 06 LGT, I could feel the difference right away. Yes, the 695 price tag is expensive, but how much is a new engine or turbo. Cobb backs their products. If you have access to a Cobb authorized tuner, then you can even define your map to a better degree. I am using a K&N intake, Cobb dp, and Greddy turboback exhaust. I have yet to get a dyno run, but will do so and post results.

All those readings you mentioned above I have plus many, many more on my pc based scantool device that works for all makes and models with can or obd-II equipped and I believe I paid around $200.

I've just read some of what your saying and I'll just re-enforce what others are saying.

1) The AP is very costly, but it does have a lot of things that other car tuning options do not have. The ability to switch maps unlimited times without harming the ECU, the ability to switch your map from a performance tune to a economy tune by the press of a button, the ability to monitor certian aspects of your engine - boost, etc... The ability to add more maps to it without having to reprogram your vehicle or buy a new chip, etc. Going back to completely stock in a relatively short amount of time so you can take it to the stealership. And many more things.

2) There are other options, but for the most part, you need to be pretty knowledgeable of what your doing. The Cobb AP makes it easy for anyone to just plug and play.

3) If you go straight to stage 2 (which can be done by buying the AP and gutting your UP and DP) it is a HUGE bang for your buck. There arent many other parts for your car that can add that much power with that amount of money. Yes, it could be done with a $200 chip or a more expensive pro-tune, but again... You have so many options and guarantees with the AP.

Its all what you want and need, but for 90% of the modders on here a COBB AP is the way to go. (taking a guess at that number though... lol)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived