LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP Questions?

BMac1203

I'm not trying to bring you down BMAC. Think of it as going to work everyday.... you wouldn't go work for free would you? I feel that the time, effort, energy, and utter brain power and biggest of all the TIME and financial burdens that are put into these units is well worth the cost. That is just my opinion and I know it wont be seen that way by many other's but thats how I see and feel about it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StiGuy, I understand, just want the other users to know that I'm just blabbering, not trying to cause tension. I guess I just liked how with my other cars things were affordable, and with this car, they're approx. 4x what I spent on similar parts. Just wish it wasn't that way.
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I know that the AP is completely worth it. But for the guys who might only want to flash to Stg 1 maybe once, $700 is a lot. I understand the features and convenience and tuning and all that, but it's still a lot of money for a silly fuel map (& others). That's my point, no harm to the company or other users. I'm just used to doing the same thing for cheaper, that's all. I guess I just need to get another job.......lol......maybe 2 more jobs...

Bmac, I agree. I think the other posters are looking at the AP for everything it does, and if you do, it's a great deal. But like you said, it's not a great deal if you flash your ECU once and your done with it.

I'm looking into OpenECU right now, which seems to look like free software + $100 cable + $25 map, which is a really nice thing to hear. Unfortunately, I can't find any definitive "Howto" guides to educate me on this. I guess only time will tell :)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

First off, I searched and do not know much on this topic. Second, I do not mean to offend any vendors or users.

I'm assuming that Cobb AP's must have to leave something installed in your car to work? If not, what would keep us from all just paying someone to re-flash our ECU's for us? (Such as sending them to Cobb, it's gotta be cheaper than purchasing the flashing unit).

Like I said, I don't know much on this topic yet, and I am not looking for answers such as "Buy Your Own". I have a job, but not the $$ to throw down on these types of mods.

You aren't paying for the device to flash your car, the AP probably costs 5 bucks to make. You're paying for Cobb's R&D. If they had a program where you could bring your ECU to a Cobb approved flash place it would still cost you $700. Of course it's expensive, Cobb can charge what ever the hell they want too. They have kids to put through college too. For an easy ready to go solution It's the best $700 you'll ever spend on your car.

Quit'cha bitch'n and spend the bling! :)

P.S. Flash once? I don't think you're aware how far the rabbit hole goes. You'll be running Stg1 for a week before the lust for more power consumes you.

That's exactly what I meant. I'm not looking at features, I'm looking at the "set it and forget it" factor that another user mentioned.

Hah, and yes, Ive been down the rabbit hole with 2 other cars, I'm trying not to go there with this one. Like I said, I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I know the R&D was expensive, always is, but they're going to break even sometime. Like I said way back, I guess I'm just used to back in the Honda days where we'd do this for like sub $200. I guess our solutions were more like openecu, but had the same features of AP. It's all good though, I guess it's time for me to start saving.

Bmac, I agree. I think the other posters are looking at the AP for everything it does, and if you do, it's a great deal. But like you said, it's not a great deal if you flash your ECU once and your done with it.

I'm looking into OpenECU right now, which seems to look like free software + $100 cable + $25 map, which is a really nice thing to hear. Unfortunately, I can't find any definitive "Howto" guides to educate me on this. I guess only time will tell :)

First off I do plan on getting the AP once my warranty is up plus I am curious how they are going to work the SI drive. But I have a Chevy Avalanche and have a custom tune on it that ran me $176 and it runs great. I do think it is overpriced. I mean your standard predator and hypertech tuners are around $400 or less.

Prime, I agree with you. Users are probably going to attack the "overpriced" comment though. Seems that everyone is saying "you get sooo much for the price", but your and my point is that we're looking for a simpler cheaper solution. A simple ECU flash isn't $700. But the features that come with it are. I guess we're just looking for stripped down versions. I just want Stg1, that's it, no extra features, just a Stg1 flash, and $700 is too much.

First off I do plan on getting the AP once my warranty is up plus I am curious how they are going to work the SI drive. But I have a Chevy Avalanche and have a custom tune on it that ran me $176 and it runs great. I do think it is overpriced. I mean your standard predator and hypertech tuners are around $400 or less.

I would imagine not much. The difference between a gutted 05/'06 stocker and and aftermarket U/P is negligible.

Good to hear it. That way I don't waste my money on it. So to go stage II, all I need is a DP and the maps, correct?

I have one question to ask everyone that thinks it costs too much... have you done the math? the expected gains from just plugging the unit in and flashing are 40hp and over 50tq, 700$ 50tq this is the cheapest tq you can buy, 14$ per lb of tq is all that needs to be said. if you can buy power that cheap anywhere else do it and quite crying, I don't mean to be rude but I just took the plunge myself , I hope I get my ap unit within a week. doesn't anyone agree?

My point is that you can get that much with different types of cars for cheaper, how come then for a Subaru you must spend that much? On a turbo diesel truck you can gain way more for way less price. For those of us that just want a custom tune and not all the other abilities, there should be an alternative. Like for my truck, I sent a guy my pcm, he programmed and I was set to go, for about $176. Great value.

My point is that you can get that much with different types of cars for cheaper, how come then for a Subaru you must spend that much? On a turbo diesel truck you can gain way more for way less price. For those of us that just want a custom tune and not all the other abilities, there should be an alternative. Like for my truck, I sent a guy my pcm, he programmed and I was set to go, for about $176. Great value.

Hmmm...still no one gets what's being said. I agree, though, Prime. The original argument has NOTHING to do with features, resale value, value, $/hp, it's to do with the cost comparison to parts for other cars. All we are saying is that if you buy a Honda/Acura per se, you could get a complete custom ECU for around $200. That's all.

• 4 months later...
You guys seem to know your *ish, so let me ask you: is the AP worth buying if you don't have a turbo back exhaust? I searched for a thread on this but didn't find... How effective is the tuner on damn near stock (borla cat back, intake soon)? I don't want to void my warranty so I am being stingy until the 5 years (had the car for 2 years and i'm at 17K so time will expire first).

Skip the intake (not worth it) and go Cobb Stage 1 with the AP. You'll be amazed at the power increase... for a little while. Then you'll have to go stage II. If you want the intake "sound" get the AVO panel filter. You'll even here the ricer pppsssshhh of the recirc valve. :)

COBB posted some great insight into how difficult it is to crack a million lines of progamming to understand the parameters being controlled on a turbo engine. The R&D costs are huge and the cost of the AccessPort reflects it. The HP and Torque gains for the $ are a bargain

Archived