LegacyGT.com

Expected fuel economy in heavy traffic?

desertfoxaz

I currently drive a 2000 Ford Mustang GT that gets about 20 mpg on regular gas. It's getting really up there in mileage (134,000 miles) and I'm ready for something a bit nicer and room for 4 passengers.

I'm looking to buy a 2007 Legacy GT Limited in the next 6 months. I drove a 2006 Legacy GT a couple of weeks ago and loved it but I can't afford to buy just yet. Any Legacys seem hard to come by around here and that was the only one I could find at the four dealerships in Phoenix.

My daily commute is around 30 miles each way, half of which is in fairly heavy traffic. I am concerned about what kind of gas mileage I might be getting with that car under those conditions. I have to fuel up every 3 days.

The few used Legacys I've seen have had extremely low mileage. The one I drove was used and had less than 200 miles on the odometer (I checked, it wasn't the trip odometer but actual mileage). I didn't ask why it had been traded in as the saleman was a jerk. A found another a few months ago with around 1,600 miles. It seems that a lot of Legacys are being traded in right away and I wonder if poor mileage might be the reason for the trade-ins. I realize that the engine really isn't broken in yet so mileage measurements so early on aren't going to be really accurate.

I've read a lot of car magazine reviews of both the Legacy GT and the Spec B and their mileage usually sucks, but they likely run the car pretty hard around a track so you have to take their claims with a grain of salt. However, with the EPA fuel economy ratings to change soon (to be more accurate) I wonder where the Legacy GT will end up being.

I know I'll be paying $0.20 more per gallon for 91-octane premium fuel over 87-octane regular. If I can keep it at or above 20 mpg I figure I can deal with that, but if it's less I worry about costs as I drive 18-20K miles per year. I'm already paying over $3,000 a year for gas.

I suppose I could just get a Legacy 2.5i but I fell in love with the turbo and just couldn't be used to such a drop in power.

The salesman said he used to have a 2006 Legacy GT (why did he get rid of it?) and got around 28 mpg in rush hour traffic. I don't know if I should believe that.

I avg. about 28 mpg in moderate traffic, with the n/a 2.5. Of course, I'm sacrificing power for fuel economy. I don't think you could handle that kind of loss in power, going from a Mustang GT to n/a. My 2.4 MIVEC engine had more power than the 2.5, although it was worse on gas.

I don't believe an LGT would get 28 mpg in any sort of driving unless maybe you are driving one consistant speed about 65 on the the highway.

GT in heavy stop and go will be lucky to get 15 mpg. If MPG is a major concern DO NOT get a GT you will regret it. The NA legacy will get much better mileage.

AWD also is a mileage killer, do you really need AWD?

Welcome. Don't know where in Phoenix you drive, but I live southeast and take the 101 and 202 on a daily basis in medium-heavy traffic. I think at first I got around 20 mpg on a tank, but now that I've learned the car and it's gone through break-in, I'm getting roughly 24 mpg.

I don't know about 28 mpg unless the guy was going downhill the whole time.

If you're looking for recommendations on where to buy, I had a good experience with Pitre (now Power) Subaru in Scottsdale. Avoid the internet "sales manager" as he's a bit of a jackass. I dealt with Ray Bentley, the "fleet sales manager", who was really easy going. Great service. Just a word of warning though, you'll have to haggle for the super lowest price ...

The legacy sucks in traffic. Especially in the city. I usually average 14-16 all city. But hey the car puts a smile on my face everyday so...:) On the highway w/no traffic its good, 25-28 mpg with easy driving.

I've gotten 18 in "traffic" (with stopping and speeds up to 40) and up to 26 on the highway (cruise set at 70 the whole time). I just got the car so I have limited info, but so far I can't complain too much about the return in MPG.

Stay off the boost and MPG will be fine...dip into the pedal and watch the MPG go to nil...

Welcome. Don't know where in Phoenix you drive, but I live southeast and take the 101 and 202 on a daily basis in medium-heavy traffic. I think at first I got around 20 mpg on a tank, but now that I've learned the car and it's gone through break-in, I'm getting roughly 24 mpg.

I don't know about 28 mpg unless the guy was going downhill the whole time.

If you're looking for recommendations on where to buy, I had a good experience with Pitre (now Power) Subaru in Scottsdale. Avoid the internet "sales manager" as he's a bit of a jackass. I dealt with Ray Bentley, the "fleet sales manager", who was really easy going. Great service. Just a word of warning though, you'll have to haggle for the super lowest price ...

I drive from Peoria to near Sky Harbor - 101 to I-10 to 202.

I went to Pitre twice but they didn't have any Legacy GTs at the time. The first guy I talked to was cool, but the second time I got some young lady who didn't know anything about the cars she was selling.

I test drove at Avondale Subaru and the sales manager was hellbent on not letting me leave without buying the car. I am definitely not going to be buying from them.

I just recently traded in my 01 GT (I miss her, good thing the wife still has hers hehe.) for a brand new 07. In the non-turbo 01, I would average around 24-26mpg hwy and around 18-20 in the city. So far driving to work (puyallup to seattle, 88mi round trip) with moderate traffic and the occasional "Sport#" lane change, I'm getting around 22-24mpg.

Welcome.....

Keep the 01 Stang for a weekend toy & get a leftover 06 LGT spend what you save on a few mods for both cars;)

If you are fairly good @ wrenchin yourself 1,000 can get some strong performance out of the 4.6 even with those miles

You will get about the same MPG as you get with the V8.....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

in an 07 lgt and - 15mpg is tops for city driving - and tahts in I mode driving like an old lady. City/traffic mpg is just awful in this car.

Highway cruising is much better - at ~70 i can pull around 22-25 depending on if Im going primarily up or down in elevation :)

Archived