LegacyGT.com

To Hell and Back ... in a Subaru Legacy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<Yawn> someone say something about some pics/video?

Waiting patiently...

Now let's not get too carried away here...if the snow is too heavy, too deep...well, even the mighty Subaru's will get stuck. But if it's just slick, or light dry cold snow...well, not too much will stop you if you don't get overconfident. Seen plenty of that the last time it snowed here...happy to report that I made it everywhere without a hitch.

The one thing this trip has taught me about my car is that in many ways a subaru isn't a show car. Its designed to be man-handled and not let you down. When i wanted the car to be a luxury vehicle it disapointed me, but when i wanted to go through 2 feet of snow, it didnt disapoint and impressed me greatly.

I could've told you that 2 years ago! I treat mine more like a farm quad than a road car. I'm only on my 3rd steering rack, 2nd control arm, 2nd engine, and have bought 6 new tyres during that 2 year period, on my 2nd spare too. Only flooded it twice and got it stuck to the point where I needed assistance once.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Chwisch87/IMG_2529.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Chwisch87/IMG_2527.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Chwisch87/IMG_2526.jpg

Working on the vids, they may not be that great however.

I love my car ... basically.

I would like to add the only cars that didnt seem to have trouble were the Audi's (AWD of course) and Subaru's.

Or, any car with appropriate tires....

I could've told you that 2 years ago! I treat mine more like a farm quad than a road car. I'm only on my 3rd steering rack, 2nd control arm, 2nd engine, and have bought 6 new tyres during that 2 year period, on my 2nd spare too. Only flooded it twice and got it stuck to the point where I needed assistance once.

Good Judgement comes from Experience.

Experience comes from Bad Judgement!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Wow. That's some low visibility.

Ha! Visibility can be far worse. The day after I bought my LGT I had it in pure whiteout conditions. I had only a vague sense of where the road ended and the snowbanks began, where the road turned, etc. No clear lines visible anywhere. Needless to say we didn't make it to the mountain that day.

That was on the stock RE92s with 17k miles on them btw. Granted, I'd never driven in conditions like that before, but let's just say there was no excess of traction. I'd like to think my l33t dr1v1ng sk1llz kept me from hitting any snowbanks but I think a good bit of luck must've been involved too. I swung the back around several times without meaning to. I didn't bother getting snow tires right afterwards because it was near the end of last ski season, but no way in hell would I use the RE92s again this season. I've never driven a car with real snow tires on it, but from everything I've read they can't be as slippery in the snow as the RE92s.

Heck, I even got stuck at the bottom of a long driveway that weekend. The stupid SUV driver in front of me stopped even though the was clearly no traffic on the road, forcing me to stop and lose my momentum. It just took a little digging to get free, but still, I was pretty disappointed with the (lack of) traction.

Sorta the same subject. This weekend I went to visit my uncle's new ranch. There's two dirt/mud roads to get there, one slightly longer than the other. I make the obvious choice, the shorter one. I throw the car into S Mode and attack the mud. A couple of hairy moments with the car sliding side ways, but I made it threw alright. I get to my uncle's house and they immediately want to check out my new car. They laughed when they saw all the mud and joked about how it barely made it. They laughed even more when I told them which road I had taken. It turns out that earlier that day, a UPS truck and a farmer in a 4x4 Chevy 2500, with fancy off roading suspension, got stuck. I could see why they didn't believe me. I knew Subaru's respect was on the line, so what did I do? I proved it to them; they saw it with their own eyes. You should have seen those jaws. They went from not knowing anything about this obscure Japanese brand, to thinking that they all needed to get one. Instant respect. All I have left to do is say, "Thank you Legacy GT Wagon."

Archived