LegacyGT.com

Lesson: back to stock lines = LEAKS!

BOXRPWR

In the process of going back to stock. Took off the Racing Brake kits and put back on the stock brakes. In keeping with the stock theme, we also removed the Goodridge braided ss lines and put on some very clean, near-new stock brake lines.

well, they ended up leaking badly. it seems the Goodridge lines slightly altered (expanded) the flared connections on the hard lines. so no matter how tight they were, the fluid just keep leaking. and not just a few drops but small puddles of fluid. not a good situation.

so we put the braided ss lines back on (keeping the stock brake hardware on) and everything seems to be leak-free now.

don't know if anybody else has gone back to the stock rubber lines after having braided lines - Goodridge in particular. but it didn't work for me.

thought I'd share the experience with the LGT community.

cheers!

As an FYI, I did BOXRPWR's brake and suspension uninstall, and have since verified with the jsalicru (who put back on the Goodrich lines) that the issue was apparently related to the Goodrich lines. Who knows for sure what caused the problem, but I do feel better knowing that I didn't bork anything!

As for the performance of the Goodrich lines, I have them on my car and they perform wonderfully. With this experience, I'll just be leaving them on my car when it comes time to sell. As much as they improve braking feel, they will probably help sell the car.

I wholeheartedly agree with the favorable comments about the Goodridge ss braided lines - and probably most any other brand.

My intent was to inform the community of the "risks" of putting the stock rubber lines back on. I didn't mean to impune the merits and quality of the Goodridge lines.

I would highly recommend them as a smart early upgrade to a stock brake setup. In fact, just putting on braided ss lines and some decent pads is probably all the brake upgrade 75% would ever need.

So go ahead........take of those rubbers! (Just don't put them back on) :icon_mrgr

I use stock rubber lines on my 911 track car. My theory is that if the Porsche Cup cars come with rubber lines, then that is good enough for me.

So for my daily driver LGT, it's only rubber lines for me.

It's been my understanding that SS lines do not improve actual breaking performance on most cars, rather alter the feel of the break pedal by making it more firm. I swapped lines on my other car because I was not happy with the pedal feel. The LGT pedal is fine for my uses.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I usually run stainless lines on my track cars. I had an Evo a few years ago, and was out instructing. The rubber seperated from the crimped section due to heat at over 100 mph on the back straight at Jefferson Circuit in Summit Point.

No more rubber lines on track cars for me. They may be fine if you aren't railing on the brakes, but if you're on them hard, be careful

Warren

Archived