LegacyGT.com

Red tailight covers from MAchV

antny

I just wanted to do a write up of this product. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and recieved them in the mail on Friday. I wanted something to make the rear tails to look better then the stock lens. I went to install them and found that the material used is really crappy and did not want to mold to the taillight. I ended up just trashing them after the attempt to put on one of the covers. I have insatlled many sets of headlight and tailight covers on a wrx with the material hot-subaru uses for there lense film and have had much better results. Just thought I would tell you guys and gals if you were thinking about it.

I just wanted to do a write up of this product. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and recieved them in the mail on Friday. I wanted something to make the rear tails to look better then the stock lens. I went to install them and found that the material used is really crappy and did not want to mold to the taillight. I ended up just trashing them after the attempt to put on one of the covers. I have insatlled many sets of headlight and tailight covers on a wrx with the material hot-subaru uses for there lense film and have had much better results. Just thought I would tell you guys and gals if you were thinking about it.

That sucks...Talk to the vendor, don;t just trash them.

I don;t even know what these things looks like?

http://www.fastwrx.com/letalaco.html

Bye no means am I downing MachV or his company in any such matter. I am just stating that the material the lense covers for the sedans is not very good. For the wagons I could see they would go on pretty easy and well since they have a rounded feature to the light instead of concaved like the sedans. Not much I can complain about. I thought I would do a write up before someone else ran into the same problems I did. This is not discouraging me from buying from them in the future but just not the lense covers.

http://www.fastwrx.com/letalaco.html

Bye no means am I downing MachV or his company in any such matter. I am just stating that the material the lense covers for the sedans is not very good. For the wagons I could see they would go on pretty easy and well since they have a rounded feature to the light instead of concaved like the sedans. Not much I can complain about. I thought I would do a write up before someone else ran into the same problems I did. This is not discouraging me from buying from them in the future but just not the lense covers.

I just realized my post came out all wrong.. I meant don't trash the covers(as in don;t throw them out) ..I did not mean to imply that you were trashing Mach V..I just didn;t want you to trash the covers! Completetly my fault for typing it wrong. :)

I agree with you, I just was just trying to say you should make sure you get what you pay for..and to talk to Mach V, maybe he could work with you.

Are these vinyl stick on pieces?

Yes they are. The problem is once you attempt once the adhesive is no good anymore and they like to wrinkle. I contacted Dan and he is sending me another set with detailed instructions to try and not make it wrinkle. These are the first attempt at these covers with this material so he is gonna send me another set. Dan=Very stand up guy in my books. Good to see vendors on here do that for us.

hmmm i did something of this same nature with my rsx, there was an amber piece you would use a red vinal overlay to make the tail solid red, made it look sharp... i used the soapy water method, i am curious as to why it didnt work for you? were you using the ol hair drye / heat gun with it too (i am betting yes since you did ones before)?

sorry you had bad luck on the first set, hope the second goes well!

Nope I used the soap and water method this time. So we will see how round 2 goes.

if these are the same ones I had on my car from GrafxWerks (I showed Dan them at the last meet), they do take some coaxing to get right and it's nearly impossible to get them wrinkle free - the tailight is full of compound curves. From five feet, they look great and it was a good $20 upgrade :icon_mrgr

^^I had the tint guy put em on for me when he tinted my windows. He did a perfect job. No wrinkles at all
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Here is what Dan sent me.

I'll admit to you, this is the first time we've offered this particular product. We used the heavy duty vinyl because of it's excellent wear and gloss characteristics, but it has come to my attention that the install is very difficult.

If you're game, I'm willing to send you another set, and give you some more specific instructions on how to get it on the lens and smooth and wrinkle-free.

The other option would be to give you insert ones that will just cover the non-red portion of the lens.

If either of these would be acceptable to you, I'll make it happen. Let me know.

--Dan

Mach V

The material is just really different then any other lense cover I have installed before. Its thinner and less plyable which is why I think it caused the wrinkles. We will see how round 2 goes hopefully well.

Archived