LegacyGT.com

Best All-Season Tire

meliaant

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$149 a ties????? which Toyo??? if it's the Proxes 4 in 215/45/17 - the price sucks

Hey God...never expected to meet you in a Subaru thread, but they say you work in mysterious ways...anywho, yeah, $149/tire for the Proxes TPT and $139/tire for the Proxes 4...will they be good in MA? Still leaning towards the PZero Nero, but might opt for a more aggressive looking tire that can handle ski trips & unplowed roads, etc...

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Also heard some good things about the Yokohama Avid H4/V4...it's funny, the more research I do and more feedback I get from people here, tirerack, and 1010tires, the more picky & critical I get...I guess I should just put on some good all-seasons and let the AWD do the work, but who knows...If I've been "satisfied" by the RE92s, then I'll be extremely happy with almost every alternative thats been mentioned (Yokos, PZero, Continental, etc.)
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Good price compared to up here in MA, and thanks for the update on the snow driving...I don't need/want a dedicated snow tire, but dont want to buy an all-season thats not a true all-season, like the Proxes...thanks!

Hey God...never expected to meet you in a Subaru thread, but they say you work in mysterious ways...anywho, yeah, $149/tire for the Proxes TPT and $139/tire for the Proxes 4...will they be good in MA? Still leaning towards the PZero Nero, but might opt for a more aggressive looking tire that can handle ski trips & unplowed roads, etc...

If you want any snow capability . . . none of the above. You are better off with contiextremecontacts.

Why dont you at least consider picking up a set of LGT rims and getting a winter tire or snow tire? You'll be much better off, especially next winter after your a/s tires have been heat cycled, they will suck in the bad winter weather.

Just a thought. NO way to get good winter perfromance and good summer performance out of the same tire. I doubt even the michelins I like will be very good in their second winter.

Who makes those?

Bridgestone. I seriously think they are the best AS tire...esp in the wet. (according to my experience, Road anf Track tests vs. other summer tires, TR reviews and tests, etc.) They are also amazing in the snow for an AS. Yes, they are more expensive than the contis or ASX, but I thikn they are worth it. THe conits are very good too...for the money. Definitely the best value. The 960 are the best though ;)

You keep mentioning snow. There's one passenger tire on the market with the severe duty snow rating - the Nokian WR. It'ss around $175 for 17", $150 for 16". Johns & Sons tires in Manchester NH has good prices. Great tire for New England, where we have snow.

They look like this [16" shown]:

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/nokianwr.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I've been doing a lot of research on that tire, and am curious how much you've driven on it...Up here in MA, we get our fair share of snow, and we do a lot of ski trips, so by the looks of the tread pattern, it looks like it would be a great improvement over the RE92...any info would be greatly appreciated!

I probably have less than 1000 miles on them. Honestly can't complain on them, but I've only had them in light snow/ice so far and they've done well.

:confused: After my detailed post, he still wants to look at the Proxes...

To each his own... I can understand how one man's "unacceptable" is another man's "good enough", but I can't understand how one would want to run a tire designed primarily for all conditions BUT snow IN the snow...

My calculus is that if the roads are dry, it doesn't take much of a car and tire to go fast. But great tires can make a BIG difference in snow, ice and rain.

If someone buys a 2.5l Subaru in New England, it's usually to get around in bad weather. So optimizing the tire choice for good weather is not consistent reasoning.....

Here's the CR High Performance All Season test. To put the results in perspective, the middle of the pack (for snow and ice) Michelin Energy MXV4+ is the OEM tire on Honda Accords - and roundly criticized on Honda forums for snow and ice traction!

Next is the CR "high Performance Snow" test. Middle of the pack is the All Season Nokian WR....

CR_PERFAS.jpg.18a8f7b241a3363cb5587a9dfd003d5f.jpg

hpsnowcr06.jpg.8cf5125d7c618aa8dfae27367e836fcc.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

what to get for our Socal weather?

Summer only tires: I suggest the Bstone RE 050 (still on closeout at tirerack for $92 - never seen a better deal), contisportcontact 2 (or the new 3), dunlop sp sport max (cant vouch for this guy but supposed to be good), the Avon Tech M500 (also cheap but excellent at $104; not as good as the 050), or the Michelin pilot sport.

IF you want an A/s, I'd say there's only one choice, the Pilot Exalto A/S, since you wont see snow, no worries, and this tire out performs a lot of summer only tires in the dry and wet (but not afaik the above)

Let us know what you choose. I stronly reccomend the RE 050 - I run this tire on my GT on BBS RK's. Excellent grip in all < 40 F conditions. Smooth and quiet too. 225/45/17

:confused: After my detailed post, he still wants to look at the Proxes...

To each his own... I can understand how one man's "unacceptable" is another man's "good enough", but I can't understand how one would want to run a tire designed primarily for all conditions BUT snow IN the snow...

Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full....I'm not considering Proxes anymore, but now I don't know what to consider! I've heard the CR ratings are "iffy" at best (how can the assurance tripletread be #1 last year, and #16 this year?) Anywho, It's down to several candidates, and my mind changes hourly...but this is good to get different ideas from different people, I appreciate everyones responses :)

Continental Xtreme Contect is what i currently have and they perform very well in dry and wet. Havn't had chance to experience them in snow yet but from what i have read they are supose to be top ranked in AS. They have soft sidewalls so you don't get the crispy handling when cornering, i over inflate them to compensate that. The reason i bought it was because it was on sale, cheap, $86 per tire at tirerack.com.

ps: feels more stable in wet than dry. i know it's an illusion.

Pzero Nero M+S

or

Michelin pilot Allseason

or

Kumho Ecsta ASX

Fixed. Quiet. Grippy. They deliver great wet weather performance and they passed with flying colours the snow test (6 inches) last Friday. I was doing 50ish thru slushy snow and it has great lateral grip in snow as well. At 80 bucks a pop (price matched at the local Pep Boys vs. Tire Rack) they are HARD to beat for the performance/price ratio.

My calculus is that if the roads are dry, it doesn't take much of a car and tire to go fast. But great tires can make a BIG difference in snow, ice and rain.

(snip).

I definately disagree with you there. Great tires, once driven on, teach you how bad most tires are. A great car, once cornered hard, shows you what POS's most cars are.

You will notice a difference even in the dry. No question about it.

To each his own.

Bridgestone. I seriously think they are the best AS tire...esp in the wet. (according to my experience, Road anf Track tests vs. other summer tires, TR reviews and tests, etc.) They are also amazing in the snow for an AS. Yes, they are more expensive than the contis or ASX, but I thikn they are worth it. THe conits are very good too...for the money. Definitely the best value. The 960 are the best though ;)

Dont agree. But they havent been tested against the best - the pilot exalto, and the best of the rest - the Avon Tech M 550.

Talking about wet performance. But I do agree that few tires are going to beat the 960.

B'stone has come a long way with wet performance over the last 5 years - F1 experience is definately paying off, IMO.

Pzero Nero M+S

or

Michelin pilot Allseason

or

Kumho Ecsta ASX

The local tire joint went through three sets of Neros on my LGT. NONE of them would balance. Just piss-poor quality control there.

I went with the Michelins. They are great all-around daily driver tires and way way better than the re92 POS.

Archived