LegacyGT.com

Spec B HP rating

From the numerous publications I've been reading, it seems as though the horsepower specs on the Legacy Spec B are vastly underated. Subaru lists the Spec B at appoximately 250hp. From dyno results published in these magazines, the power output is more in the range of 275 flywheel hp.

Reason being that Subaru would like the STi, rated at 300hp, to shine in comparison to their other lineups.

Can anyone confirm this?

From the numerous publications I've been reading, it seems as though the horsepower specs on the Legacy Spec B are vastly underated. Subaru lists the Spec B at appoximately 250hp. From dyno results published in these magazines, the power output is more in the range of 275 flywheel hp.

Reason being that Subaru would like the STi, rated at 300hp, to shine in comparison to their other lineups.

Can anyone confirm this?

Not underrated. On dyno stock LGT makes 190-200 wheel hp which is about right considering power train loss.

OTOH, NA 2.5i Legacy with 175hp feels so sloooow, that maybe the powertrain loss is actually more than 20-24%? :iam:

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm that this has already been discussed. :)

But its still bullshit, they are the same car. People keep trying to convince themselves it was worth the extra $$

That's the point. It's what they want. If I had the money, I would much rather have 18in wheels, sticky tires, oem nav, a cool color, that neato nameplate, and a 6spd manual all installed from the factory.

Sure, you could add those features for less, but some people rather spend the extra money and have it all pre-installed from the factory. Not everyone is out to save a buck, and because some people spend a little extra, doesn't make it BS.

~G

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

;893458']I'm sure glad I bought the 06 spec.B when the engine had 250/250 hp/torque instead of waiting for the wimpy 07 version with only 243/241. :)

Ah, it's the same engine you guys. :lol: It's just tested to a different standard now. If you test the '07's to the old standard you'd still get "250/250". (btw...the torque is actually closer to 270 on the legacy gt or spec b....look at a stock dyno)

Archived