LegacyGT.com

Rotors needed turning at 40k miles, why?

mattm

My car has 40k miles, and starting a few weeks ago I noticed some pretty bad vibration when I brake hard, especially from freeway speeds. Took it to my mechanic and they said the brake rotos were worn unevenly and needed to be turned. They did the job, and everything is smooth now and the brakes feel good (well, as good as they can on this car... a bit weak ;-).

I was wondering why this would happen so quickly? I don't drive all that hard, though not totally conservatively either. I do about half freeway and half city driving. Also, I don't understand how brake rotors could even wear unevenly. From my simple understanding of disc brakes, wouldn't the pad rubbing on the rotor automatically even out the wear?

It's a different car, but I drove my '98 Integra GS-R for 105k miles with no work on the rotors. In fact, some people may not believe this -- I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't happened to me -- I sold the car at 105k miles with the factory brake pads!

Anyway, just wondering why this happened to my LGT... I asked the mechanic what causes rotors to wear unevenly and he said he didn't know (at least he was honest), but he's seen it on plenty of other cars.

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

My rotors are warped at 38k miles. Very annoying. New rotors are $90 each from the dealer and I cannot seem to find a parts shop within 100 miles that carries rotors for my 2005 Legacy2.5GT. Very frustrating. I found a shop that will turn the current rotors for a mere $10.00 per rotor and I have a mechanic friend that will pull the rotors off for a case of beer. Much cheaper than new rotors for now!

Does anyone know the spec for minimum thickness of these front rotors? This way I can see if the rotors can be saved. Much appreciated!

My rotors are warped at 38k miles. Very annoying. New rotors are $90 each from the dealer and I cannot seem to find a parts shop within 100 miles that carries rotors for my 2005 Legacy2.5GT. Very frustrating.

I just looked for them on Napa's web site. Nothing, not even a listing. Very frustrating, indeed. I'm almost at 50,000 on the original brakes, so I'm keeping an eye out but haven't seen anything.

$65.84/pc

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

OR save a buck.....

$64.76/pc

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

Can anyone suggest a good replacement pad...say something one or two steps above OE? Nothing for autox and such, just a better application for spirited drivers.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

my rotors wraped on me the first 200 miles! luckily the stealership covered it. It is 75XX miles now and starting to show signs of warpping again.Hopefully they are going to cover it (I painted the claipers).

I just replaced my stock pads with Hawk and now have a bad pulsation braking at high way speeds. The tire shop claims it is "bent" rims (of course) which is possible, (running winter beaters right now) After reading these posts I think l will get new rotors (45,000 m on car)

At what point will I start damaging my new pads? They have only been on for hard braking for maybe 1,000 miles

I would venture to guess it's most likely that one or both of your front rotors have worn unevenly. I'm at 40k now and I think I'll spend the $140 for two new OE's and not think about it again until 80k.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Your rotors are 316mm by 30 mm - just 10 mm less in dia. then STi rotors. I HIGHLY doubt any of them are warped.

Your pads - when hot - will leave an uneven transfer layer on the rotor whcih causes the judder. Turning them does 'fix' the issue as it takes off the uneven layer along with many miles of rotors wear - but if you repeat the driving that cuased it it WILL return.

TO fix judder -

1- Rebed - hard - maybe twice

2. Sand them w/ garnett paper

3. A VERY LIGHT turn - just enough to scratch them clean - then rebed properly

Your OEM pads are garbage when hot - as are most Subaru pads (except STi's)

I haven't felt the "judder" as you refer to it until about the last 5K of driving. I'm at 40K now and it's happening under braking from highway speeds. I'm going to swap out the OE pads for some Hawks and I thought while I was down there I'd swap for some new OE rotors. I've never had good luck with my style of driving with turned or milled rotors under my active left foot.

• 2 weeks later...
14,000 miles on my 06Gt wagon and i started to feel the front end vibrate under braking and slight vibration at speed( started at approx 10K miles.. Rotated tires and driving vibration lessened but braking vibration stayed. Took it in and this was the result. All 4 rotors warped. All 4 tires out of balance and the front rims (just came off the rear the previous day) bent. Cant believe the rotors ware bent this soon as this car isn't driven that hard. Also find it hard that the rims were bent. Would believe that the ones on back were as they were on the front and they take the most abuse. Would improper mounting of rims at factory cause this or are both the rims and rotors that fragile.

That's messed up. If something were mounted wrong at the factory, you'd have had problems on your test drive. Now, I'd just ask you what you'd hit and leave it at that. Don't be offended- I know you've got no reason to hide that here. A better question here would be who else drives your car? Where do you park it? Something is screwy here. It sounds like damage to me, but I can't come up with a reasonable explanation.

I warped 3 sets of rotors on a previous car by braking like a sally. I was afraid of warping them, so I braked real light all the time. That is what was warping them.

I learned that my lousy ability to drive a car correctly was the culprit.

I changed my braking habits and I haven't had a problem since. I'm either on or off the brake. I never ride them.

Archived