LegacyGT.com

Rotors needed turning at 40k miles, why?

mattm

I have just under 12,000 on my 05 and THEY ARE WARPED. sHOULD i even try getting them replaced under warranty?

If you've tried all the rebedding suggestions, why wouldn't you try to get them replaced (what do you have to lose)? I did, and got UPGRADED PADS (Endless) and haven't had a problem since.

If you've tried all the rebedding suggestions, why wouldn't you try to get them replaced (what do you have to lose)? I did, and got UPGRADED PADS (Endless) and haven't had a problem since.

Because the dealer will turn them unless they are at or near the service limit which all but insures that you will be replacing them sooner than really should be necesary.

As I stated before - it is unlikely that the dealer can explain bedding procedures and transfer layer technology and why cheap ceramic pads have constant pulsing issues when used hard. They just turn/replace and charge either you or Subaru.

And as I've stated YET AGAIN.....turning the rotors temporarily fixes the problems as it REMOVES THE transfer layer and a BUNCH OF YOUR ROTOR. Then if/when you repeat the braking cycles - and you will - the problems will return - except this time your rotors may be too thin to turn. And if you are outside of your warranty YOU PAY!

Can you tell me what part of all this isn't clear? :confused: It's not rocket science.

To add fuel to the fire, some OEM '05 rotors were made with defects in the casting, causing grooves to appear in the rotors. This causes some braking shudder. My rears were "groovy" and had to be replaced under warranty.

I use a drill with a green scotchbrite pad on a sanding disk holder to clean up my rotors when I change pads. It takes off old pad material pretty well, though sometimes I do need to lightly sand them. Many new brake pads come with a "gritty" coating on the surface to help grind the old pad material off the rotors for the first few stops.

Grassroots Motorsports did an article on "warped" rotors a few issues back - they had a good explanation of why modern rotors don't warp and how the uneven layer of pad material builds up on a rotor. If anyone still has that issue and can scan the article in, it might be a good sticky.

-Ryan

But THE DEALER SAID THEY THE ROTORS WERE WARPED :lol:

Hmm... Quick, easy "fix" that they can charge for, it gets rid of the problem that the customer was complaining about (for long enough that they're happy), and if replaced, I've never seen the factory request them sent back for inspection. It's a win for everyone involved who is a dealership.

Man - that says so many things in 3 sentences about dealerships, end users, and carmakers and their suppliers.

I'll bet the engineer in charge of brakes at Subaru and other manufacturers just simply grinds his teeth over the warranty costs he gets yelled at for. Somehow in the end the consumer is paying for it though.

Archived