LegacyGT.com

Wow.. this guy is a real prize reviewer..

gfxdave99

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get flamed for this.....

But I agree with the GENERAL statement of the review in the 1st page. For 25K (which is the amount I paid), my LGT Limited is the best car for the money. Period. It just does not get any better for the money. But I would never consider paying 34-35K for practically the same car with a few (albeit very nice) upgrades. I much rather have a "cheap" bare bones BMW, or a loaded G35 for around 35-36K if I were looking in that market segment.

Now I'll go hide.... ;)

:hide:

I'll get flamed for this.....

But I agree with the GENERAL statement of the review in the 1st page. For 25K (which is the amount I paid), my LGT Limited is the best car for the money. Period. It just does not get any better for the money. But I would never consider paying 34-35K for practically the same car with a few (albeit very nice) upgrades. I much rather have a "cheap" bare bones BMW, or a loaded G35 for around 35-36K if I were looking in that market segment.

Now I'll go hide.... ;)

:hide:

No flaming, but if you're gonna start off with a 05 LGT lmt. for $1k under invoice (the price you paid), then compare it to a spec.B for $1k under invoice, or $30k. Then take a look at the differences:

18" wheels and tires

Nav

VDC

6 speed

interior

etc.

If those differences have value to you, they add up to $5k pretty darn quick. I was leanning towards the the non-spec.B LGT until I put it all on paper, looked at the actual difference in value if you added that stuff, and the value to me for each difference. The spec.B came up on top.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

But if you don't want NAV, and don't like the interior or exterior colors as much as others...

VDC and 6SPD is nice... but symmetric AWD and 5MT is not shoddy.

It adds up, IF you want the configuration Subaru sells. If you have even slightly different taste... it is extra money for extra restriction.

18" wheels and tires can be easily had, for not all that much money after selling the originals... Struts and springs can be swapped.

And maybe it is different with 07 Spec Bs, but it seemed with 06s, that rebates and deals were much bigger and easier to be had with Legacy GTs than Spec Bs...

I bought a USED legacy GT with aftermarket stuff, for 22k. $10-12k less than a new Spec B, with more power. (stage 2) When you figure the rarity of Garnet Red Pearl... it isn't much more common than Spec B configuration.

It isn't a new car, but it also isn't a new car payment. And I am enjoying it just as much.

It is all a value equation. What means more to you...

Subaru would do well to realize that more money for less probability that it will meet people's preference is a worse value equation than offering people some choices.

Not that Legacys can be found to buy anyway...

^ The Spec.B in Spec.B stands for the upgraded suspension. That is the big difference between that variant and the stock LGT. It is a different car. I test drove a stock LGT and while I liked it I crossed it off my list. Then I ran across a great deal on a Spec.B so I figured I'd give it a try. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

Why is everybody so pissed over a guy who writes car reviews for Colorado Business Magazine? It is not like he's the editor of Road & Track. I've never had anyone get out of my car for the first time without commenting on how nice (and fast) my car is. Most of these people who have commented on my Legacy come from the BMW, Volvo, and Acura crowd. Subaru is in the middle of reinventing itself and in my opinion has done a pretty good job. The best measures I can think of to judge whether Subaru is gaining on the Euro nameplates is my 17 year old kid. Which car does he want to borrow? Mom's 3 Series, or Dad's wagon? At my 7 year olds Cub Scout meeting, I had two kid's come up to me and say how cool it was that they know a kid who's dad has a car that's tough to beat on Grand Turismo. (I don't tell them that its not a JBP Spec B wagon!) Anyway, do we really want everyone driving Subaru's? The secret is half the fun!

Archived